Osteopathic Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mods I should've posted here to begin with(posted i pre-osteopathic). I apologize.

Members don't see this ad.

... Do DO R-3s still outrank R-1 MDs? ...

are you kidding me? out rank? no way.

DO residents have to pre-pre round for MD residents and get them their coffee.

What was your original question?

This was my question or questions.

These questions are for those in Osteopathic (AOA Approved) residencies at hospitals that also have Allopathic residencies or anyone with a clue. How is the relationship between the osteopathic residents/interns with the allos? Is there any segregation between the two? How does the hierarchy work with DO residents and MD residents? I am just wondering how the Osteopathic residencies work in a majority allopathic medical center. Does a R-3 DO still outrank an MD r-1?

The question of rank was explained by Dr. JPH. I guess I was thinking of it in the wrong way. And I wasn't implying that the MD resident outranks the senior DO resident, my question was whether the MD resident in an allopathic residency had to answer to the DO in another service, particularly an AOA residency(Osteopathic) while he is in a totally different program.

I just decided to come over and close it due to a bad reaction over in the pre-osteopathic forums. Didn't want to get beat up on two forums. :laugh:

Hmmm...after skimming through it, while your previous thread got a little ugly in certain bits, most of the advice by Dr JPH was dead-on.

Hmmm...after skimming through it, while your previous thread got a little ugly in certain bits, most of the advice by Dr JPH was dead-on.

Cool. I like to think that I can still ask questions on here, post acceptance.

This was my question or questions.

These questions are for those in Osteopathic (AOA Approved) residencies at hospitals that also have Allopathic residencies or anyone with a clue. How is the relationship between the osteopathic residents/interns with the allos? Is there any segregation between the two? How does the hierarchy work with DO residents and MD residents? I am just wondering how the Osteopathic residencies work in a majority allopathic medical center. Does a R-3 DO still outrank an MD r-1?

The question of rank was explained by Dr. JPH. I guess I was thinking of it in the wrong way. And I wasn't implying that the MD resident outranks the senior DO resident, my question was whether the MD resident in an allopathic residency had to answer to the DO in another service, particularly an AOA residency(Osteopathic) while he is in a totally different program.

I just decided to come over and close it due to a bad reaction over in the pre-osteopathic forums. Didn't want to get beat up on two forums. :laugh:

A PGY-3 is a PGY-3 is a PGY-3. Noone cares what the letters are behind your name outside of premeds.....

A PGY-3 is a PGY-3 is a PGY-3. Noone cares what the letters are behind your name outside of premeds.....

Couldnt have said it any better.

When will these pre-meds realize that DO = MD for all practical purposes?

Couldnt have said it any better.

When will these pre-meds realize that DO = MD for all practical purposes?

When they become residents and start working side by side with people from all schools, all sorts of countries and ses that it really doesn't make a difference and no one really cares.

When they become residents and start working side by side with people from all schools, all sorts of countries and ses that it really doesn't make a difference and no one really cares.

Wise words from a wise SDN veteran!