osteopathic residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moorecameron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I know this is a dumb question but I've been searching for a bit and can't find an answer, I would be thankful if some one could clarify the situation for me. If you complete an AOA residency, does that limit you to just Osteopathic hospitals afterwards or can you get jobs at any hospital? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I know this is a dumb question but I've been searching for a bit and can't find an answer, I would be thankful if some one could clarify the situation for me. If you complete an AOA residency, does that limit you to just Osteopathic hospitals afterwards or can you get jobs at any hospital? Thank you!

Obviously that's not the case because there are AOA-trained DOs all over the place. There are not many osteopathic hospitals anymore anyway.

DOs are fully licensed physicians and can work wherever they choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to complete my medical school training in the midwest, and wanted to live on the east coast afterwards such as NY, would it be harder for me as a DO physician? What about if I did internal med ?

If I were to complete my medical school training in the midwest, and wanted to live on the east coast afterwards such as NY, would it be harder for me as a DO physician? What about if I did internal med ?

no. and no.

You'd be fine. Look into the term "Hospital Privileges" as it may clarify your current understanding of the hospital-private practice physician relationship. Anyway, there are several ways a doctor may be associated with a particular hospital.

Last edited:
No, and no. Your job opportunities will most likely be the exact same as an ACGME residency, except you will probably have a harder time getting into academia or research, if that's what you want to do.

A quick search you will yield a plethora of debates and opinions regarding AOA vs ACGME programs. Read up!

You will find plenty of DOs on the east coast especially in and around the greater NY metropolitan area. Purely anecdotal, but the ED I worked in was about 50/50 MD/DO. Most of the DO attendings graduated from an AOA EM residency (a few graduated from St. Barnabus in the Bronx). I ran into DOs in just about every department in the hospital (especially internal medicine and peds, no surprise there), however I do not remember any DO surgeons.

The general public in that area seems to have had more exposure to DOs over the years, so a good percentage of folks are aware of the profession. Most tend to go with whomever has a good reputation with his patients. As for myself, I didn't know my pediatrician was a DO until years after my last appointment with him; when I mentioned osteopathic medical school to my mom at some point, she said "oh your childhood doctor was a DO." I would've never known. Although he was a Kirksville grad from back in the late 60s, there wasn't a second of OMM in his office, as far as I remember are least. Anyways, tangent complete.

No, and no. Your job opportunities will most likely be the exact same as an ACGME residency, except you will probably have a harder time getting into academia or research, if that's what you want to do.

You're forgetting that AOA programs also conduct extensive research and have academic posts available...

You're forgetting that AOA programs also conduct extensive research and have academic posts available...
That's true, but just not to the same extent as most MD programs. I'm not saying doing an AOA program will lock you out of academia, but in general, relative to MD programs, doing an AOA residency will place you at a disadvantage when it comes to academia or research. However, if you just want to practice in that specific fields, then your job opportunities will be fine.

In other words, what you guys are saying is, I would be able to freely go to the east or west coast rather than settle in the midwest (MI), without any problems? Or would it be way more competitive since NYC is NYC, not a rural city or anything.

In other words, what you guys are saying is, I would be able to freely go to the east or west coast rather than settle in the midwest (MI), without any problems? Or would it be way more competitive since NYC is NYC, not a rural city or anything.

You can go anywhere but of course a city like NYC will be more competitive being that is a saturated market. There will be challenges establishing yourself in such a market regardless of your training, not to mention physician incomes are often lower while COL is higher. There are always the suburbs though...

I cannot comment on the west coast, but again, I have heard that southern Cali is also a tough place to break into.

If you really want to end up living and working in a particular area why not try for a residency there? That aside, the consensus is that one should train in a program that is a good fit and will provide proper training to become the physician you wish to be, regardless of location. Plus, I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that better training and connections will only help your cause. Personally, I'm nowhere close to residency, but I know I'll be gunning for an ACGME residency to help keep more doors open along this long journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine, but it's usually tougher in major markets simply because there are already a large number of docs there. However, as far as MD/DO discrepancies, there are few or none.

You won't have a harder time as a DO, but if you or your school don't have connections with the east coast it will be hard for you to "break into" residencies there.

You won't have a harder time as a DO, but if you or your school don't have connections with the east coast it will be hard for you to "break into" residencies there.

Away rotations.

And quite possibly previous grads who matched in years past (but I guess that's on the connection tip).

Plus there are your scores, your clinical grades, LORs, etc. Plenty of folks match in places geographically distant without strong school or personal ties.

What if I did my residency in Michigan but then wanted to move to Connecticut? Would I have to do my residency again? Would I have a lower chance of being able to move?

Away rotations.

And quite possibly previous grads who matched in years past (but I guess that's on the connection tip).

Plus there are your scores, your clinical grades, LORs, etc. Plenty of folks match in places geographically distant without strong school or personal ties.

Yes I agree, but I'm just saying what MS4s who successfully matched said about it. My girlfriend will be an MS3 next month and I've gone with her to quite a few interest group meetings hosted by matched MS4s.

Just like medical schools, a lot of residency programs have a geographic bias presumably because they want to train doctors who are going to stay and practice in the area. If you have no ties to or connections to that particular program or area, it is reasonable for people to think you have no reason to practice there. As far as scores, grades, and ECs go, chances are someone from the region is going to have a better application than you.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's certainly more difficult for someone who is from California and completed medical school in California to match in New York compared to someone from New York who attended a NY medical school.

What if I did my residency in Michigan but then wanted to move to Connecticut? Would I have to do my residency again? Would I have a lower chance of being able to move?

You wouldn't have to do residency again. Compared to someone from Connecticut with the same stats as you, you would have a lower chance. Doesn't mean you can't do it though.

Yes I agree, but I'm just saying what MS4s who successfully matched said about it. My girlfriend will be an MS3 next month and I've gone with her to quite a few interest group meetings hosted by matched MS4s.

Just like medical schools, a lot of residency programs have a geographic bias presumably because they want to train doctors who are going to stay and practice in the area. If you have no ties to or connections to that particular program or area, it is reasonable for people to think you have no reason to practice there. As far as scores, grades, and ECs go, chances are someone from the region is going to have a better application than you.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's certainly more difficult for someone who is from California and completed medical school in California to match in New York compared to someone from New York who attended a NY medical school.

Definitely agree with ya there. Ties to an area will help an applicant. I've heard a few PDs mention this as well.

I don't know why I was with the stigma that DOs can practice everywhere, but their choices are limited compared to MDs on the east and west coast. The place where DOs would prosper is Michigan, (60% of DO residencies) and Oaklahoma.

unless you guys have been referring to taking the usmle as a DO student and applying to MD residencies.. because I was always under the impression that DO residencies were limited mostly to Michigan and a couple other states.. and in order to do a residency there (DO residency that is) and then move to the east coast would be hard?

I am only planning on taking the COMLEX exam...

unless you guys have been referring to taking the usmle as a DO student and applying to MD residencies.. because I was always under the impression that DO residencies were limited mostly to Michigan and a couple other states.. and in order to do a residency there (DO residency that is) and then move to the east coast would be hard?

MWU/AZCOM/Verde Valley Med Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Cottonwood
AZ​

MWU/AZCOM/Sierra Vista Regional Health Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Sierra Vista
AZ​

WesternU/COMP/Arrowhead Regional Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Colton
CA​

WesternU/COMP/Pacific Hospital Long Beach - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Long Beach
CA​

RVUCOM/Sky Ridge Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Lone Tree
CO​

Parkview Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Pueblo
CO​

UNECOM/Univ of Connecticut HC - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Farmington
CT​

LECOM/Manatee Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Brandenton
FL​

NSUCOM/N Broward Hospital District - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Ft Lauderdale
FL​

NSUCOM/Palmetto General Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Hialeah
FL​

NSUCOM/Largo Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Largo
FL​

NSUCOM/Mount Sinai Med Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Miami Beach
FL​

LECOM/Sacred Heart Health System - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Pensacola
FL​

NSUCOM/Larkin Community Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
South Miami
FL​

Northside Hosp & Heart Inst - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
St Petersburg
FL​

Columbia Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
West Palm Beach
FL​

Wellington Regional Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
West Palm Beach
FL​

MWU/CCOM Swedish Covenant Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Chicago
IL​

MWU/CCOM/Riverside Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Kankakee
IL​

St James Hosp & Health Centers - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Olympia Fields
IL​

MWU/CCOM/Advocate Lutheran General Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Park Ridge
IL​

UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Pittsfield
MA​

DMC Osteo Division/Sinai Grace Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Detroit
MI​

DMC Osteo Division/Huron Valley Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Detroit
MI​

Botsford General Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Farmington Hills
MI​

Garden City Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Garden City
MI​

Genesys Regional Med Ctr-Health Park - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Grand Blanc
MI​

MSUCOM/Western Michigan University School of Med - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Kalamazoo
MI​

McLaren-Greater Lansing - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Lansing
MI​

EW Sparrow Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Lansing
MI​

McLaren-Macomb - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Mount Clemens
MI​

McLaren-Oakland - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Pontiac
MI​

MSUCOM/Lakeland Regional Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
St. Joseph
MI​

Oakwood Healthcare System Osteo Div - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Trenton
MI​

St John Providence Health System-Osteo Div - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Warren
MI​

Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals MEP - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Warren
MI​

Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Wyandotte
MI​

Metro Health Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Wyoming
MI​

Freeman Health System - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Joplin
MO​

Northeast Regional Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Kirksville
MO​

Des Peres Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Saint Louis
MO​

Magnolia Regional Health Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Corinth
MS​

EVVCOM/Blue Ridge Healthcare - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Morganton
NC​

AtlantiCare Regional MC - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Atlantic City
NJ​

NYCOM/Trinitas Regional MC - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Elizabeth
NJ​

Jersey City Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Jersey City
NJ​

UNECOM/St Michael's Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Newark
NJ​

NYCOM/Newark Beth Israel MC/St. Barnabas HS - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Newark
NJ​

Palisades Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
North Bergen
NJ​

UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy University Hosp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Stratford
NJ​

UMDNJ-SOM/AHS Overlook MC - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Summit
NJ​

UMDNJ/SOM/South Jersey Healthcare - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Vineland
NJ​

TUCOM/Valley Hospital Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Las Vegas
NV​

St Barnabas Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Bronx
NY​

NYCOM/Coney Island Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Brooklyn
NY​

NYCOM/Sisters of Charity Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Buffalo
NY​

NYCOM/Nassau University Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
East Meadow
NY​

Wilson Memorial Reg Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Johnson City
NY​

NYCOM/Southampton Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Southampton
NY​

UNECOM/Samaritan Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Watertown
NY​

OUCOM/Doctors Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Columbus
OH​

Summa Western Reserve Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Cuyahoga Falls
OH​

OUCOM/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Dayton
OH​

OUCOM/Fairfield Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Lancaster
OH​

University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Richmond Heights
OH​

Firelands Regional Medical Center Main Campus - Internal Medicine Residenc
Internal Medicine
Sandusky
OH​

St Joseph Health Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Warren
OH​

South Pointe Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Warrensville Heights
OH​

OUCOM/St John Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Westlake
OH​

OSUCOM/Tahlequah Medical Group - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Tahlequah
OK​

Oklahoma State University Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Tulsa
OK​

WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Corvallis
OR​

PCOM/Abington Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Abington
PA​

PCOM/St. Luke's University Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Bethlehem
PA​

Crozer-Chester Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Chester
PA​

PCOM/Geisinger Health System - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Danville
PA​

Mercy Catholic Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Darby
PA​

Millcreek Community Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Erie
PA​

UPMC Horizon - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Farrell
PA​

PCOM/Pinnacle Health Community General Osteopathic Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Harrisburg
PA​

LECOM/Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hosp - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Johnstown
PA​

PCOM/Heart of Lancaster Regional Med Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Lititz
PA​

LECOM/UPMC McKeesport - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
McKeesport
PA​

Mercy Suburban Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Norristown
PA​

Philadelphia College Osteopathic Med - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Philadelphia
PA​

PCOM/Aria Health - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Philadelphia
PA​

PCOM/Pennsylvania Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Philadelphia
PA​

PCOM/Reading Hospital and Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Reading
PA​

LECOM/Wright Center for GME - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Scranton
PA​

PCOM/Lankenau Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Wynnewood
PA​

Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
York
PA​

UNECOM/Kent Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Warwick
RI​

UNTHSC/TCOM/Bay Area Corpus Christi Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Corpus Christi
TX​

UNTHSC/TCOM/Plaza Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Fort Worth
TX​

EVVCOM/Lewis Gale Hospital-Montgomery - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Blacksburg
VA​

EVVCOM/Danville Regional Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Danville
VA​

Norton Community Hospital, Inc - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Norton
VA​

EVVCOM/Carilion Clinic - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Roanoke
VA​

PNWU-COM/Kennewick General Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Kennewick
WA​

PNWU-COM/Skagit Valley Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Mount Vernon
WA​

EVVCOM/Bluefield Regional Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Bluefield
WV​

WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Charleston
WV​

WVSOM/Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Parkersburg
WV​

WVSOM/Ohio Valley Medical Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency
Internal Medicine
Wheeling
WV​

Below is the list of AOA approved IM residencies currently available in the United States. As you can see they aren't limited to Michigan.

Here's the website: http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm

Search for yourself. Good Luck.

They are not limited, but 60% of DO residencies are in the state of Michigan.

19 IM Resicencies in PA to 16 IM Residencies in MI, neither constitutes 60% of the list I provided below. If you want to be on the east coast, ball hard and apply to only hospitals on the east coast...

There are 878 AOA residency programs of which 193 are in the state of michigan, which is 20.73%. If you're speaking in terms of actual "spots" then I have no clue because the querey doesn't yield results in that manner but I tend to think that 60% much too high. You are right though, michigan does have the most programs, PA is 2nd with 102.

Last edited:
There are 878 AOA residency programs of which 193 are in the state of michigan, which is 20.73%. If you're speaking in terms of actual "spots" then I have no clue because the querey doesn't yield results in that manner but I tend to think that 60% much too high. You are right though, michigan does have the most programs, PA is 2nd with 102.

They are definitely not talking about just IM and are definitely talking about amount of spots since that would make more sense. 60% is accurate. I'm too lazy to look it up because I'm at work but don't be so surprised.

I think it's in every DO's best interest to take both USMLE and COMLEX. You study the same material and in the event that you score poorly on the USMLE and well on the COMLEX, the USMLE score won't hurt you.

Not sure where your data is from, but 60% is definitely too high.