osteopathic residency and forensic pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dollarbincommon

apple fritters are good
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This may be dumb question. But, I looked up a list of DO residencies in scutwork.com and do-online.org and I didn't find any pathology residencies. Does this mean that there aren't any? that they don't exist?

Members don't see this ad.

That is, unfortunately, exactly what that means.

Originally posted by daveyboy
That is, unfortunately, exactly what that means.

daveyboy,

I see that you are from UHS. I looked up its clerkship electives. And they have tons of pathology clerkship electives. This is one of the things that I am strongly considering UHS.

Can you say more about these electives? Are these electives or the fourth-year electives done in allopathic hospitals (I don't even know if that's even the right term)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our path prof., Dr. Friedlander has a website www.pathguy.com

Anything you could possibly want to know about pathology is there. The answer to your question is also probablt there. If not, his email is an the site and you can ask him.

dollar,
yes, there have not been osteopathic residencys in Pathology for several years. However, that does not mean you can't go into Pathology. You need to do the ACGME track. you can either take a 1 year transitional internship or primary medicine in an Osteopathic program and then go into a ACGME program in pathology. OR you can go straight into a path program from medical school through the match. As a Pathology professor at UMDNJ, I might get shot for this recommendation----> go the straight track to ACGME residency. Unless you plan to practice in one of the states that requires a DO internship it will cut a year off your training( 4 years for ACGME now, versus 5 for the DO internship track) and you can get certified thru the ACGME/ABP after you finish and not bother with the AOA.