osteopathic science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What again are the differences between AAOCOMAS/AAMCAS's science GPA calculation? I know no math for DO schools and retakes wipe out the previous...I vaguely remembered hearign something about psych classes being counted toward the science gpa? Am I right or just dreaming? :)

This DO thing has huge implications for me as it makes my science GPA skyrocket and my cum not change (by wiping the math out from the science)..I'm so psyched :)

Members don't see this ad.

crys20 said:
What again are the differences between AAOCOMAS/AAMCAS's science GPA calculation? I know no math for DO schools and retakes wipe out the previous...I vaguely remembered hearign something about psych classes being counted toward the science gpa? Am I right or just dreaming? :)

This DO thing has huge implications for me as it makes my science GPA skyrocket and my cum not change (by wiping the math out from the science)..I'm so psyched :)

https://aacomas.aacom.org/html/ins_sess_ac.htm

Scroll all the way down and read the last paragraph.

Yes, thank you I looked that up after I posted. I would've deleted the post if I'd have known how. :) Thanks for the link though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
Yes, thank you I looked that up after I posted. I would've deleted the post if I'd have known how. :) Thanks for the link though :)

Not a problem, I had the same question not long ago.

FYI, I applied both AMCAS and AACOMAS and my BCPM gpas were slightly different between the two. I took stats through the business school and through psych, so I think AACOMAS counted one of those (at least) whereas I know for sure AMCAS didn't.

I checked out the accomas site. How are engineering grades handled? Engineering is engineering, not science right???? WOuld it be part of nonscience or "other science". If its "other science" I'm up a creek cause then its calculated as part of science gpa.

thx

Truce57 said:
FYI, I applied both AMCAS and AACOMAS and my BCPM gpas were slightly different between the two. I took stats through the business school and through psych, so I think AACOMAS counted one of those (at least) whereas I know for sure AMCAS didn't.

My aacomas science gpa which includes chemical engineering classes is 2.89, while amcas science gpa is a 3.27. Is it even worth applying DO??? I think I might have a better shot at allopathic cause the gpa is higher. Advice please? I'd be an older applicant too. 5 years out of college.

I majored in psychology and I don't think AACOMAS counted any of my psych classes as part of the bcmp gpa, not even physiological psych. So, you might want to go back and check your AACOMAS application to make sure they actually counted that business stats class as part of bcmp. I don't think they do in most cases.

this link above https://aacomas.aacom.org/html/ins_sess_ac.htm says WF's on a transcript are still counted towards the total gpa yet just above that line it gives info on retakes that boost the gpa. I'm going to have quite a few retakes as a returning non-trad is it all for nothing if my gpa will still suck after the retakes?

-DO schools count Physics, Biology and Chemistry for your science grade only. No Math or Astronomy!
-DO schools only count the highest grade achieved for classes retaken

-MD schools count Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Math for science GPA. I think Astronomy falls under Physics for MD schools.
-MD schools average all grades for classes retaken

Don't count on engineering, EMT, and other similar classes being counted in your science GPA. You all really need to read those links given as it may help you so you get the most favorable GPA.

blaze1306 said:
this link above https://aacomas.aacom.org/html/ins_sess_ac.htm says WF's on a transcript are still counted towards the total gpa yet just above that line it gives info on retakes that boost the gpa. I'm going to have quite a few retakes as a returning non-trad is it all for nothing if my gpa will still suck after the retakes?

let's say you took Botany 100 3 times in a row which is considered under your science GPA. It is a 3 credit course. Spring 2004 you get a C, Summer 2004 you retake it but get a WF grade, and in the Fall 2004 you retake it again and get a B. When you submit to AACOM you must enter all three grades. When your GPA is calculated only the highest grade is used which is the B and only 3 grade points are put into your GPAas it is a 3 credit course.

stoleyerscrubz said:
let's say you took Botany 100 3 times in a row which is considered under your science GPA. It is a 3 credit course. Spring 2004 you get a C, Summer 2004 you retake it but get a WF grade, and in the Fall 2004 you retake it again and get a B. When you submit to AACOM you must enter all three grades. When your GPA is calculated only the highest grade is used which is the B and only 3 grade points are put into your GPAas it is a 3 credit course.
Thank GOD in heaven!!!!! That means my previous lack luster grades can have a new shiny coat. Thanks!!!!

yes but remember in the interview they will see all of your grades inclduing the WF unless it's a closed file interview.

blaze1306 said:
Thank GOD in heaven!!!!! That means my previous lack luster grades can have a new shiny coat. Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What about physiology and biochemistry???

blaze1306 said:

What if you re-take a course and receive a lower grade the second time? Is the second (lower) grade the one that is factored, or is the higer grade (first) the one factored in?

Sundarban1 said:
What if you re-take a course and receive a lower grade the second time? Is the second (lower) grade the one that is factored, or is the higer grade (first) the one factored in?

The LAST repeat is what is facctored into your gpa. That means if you want to improve your B- in Organic Chemistry beware. If you get a nutty professor you is 10x harder and you get a C- then the C- is your grade that is counting in regards to Osteopathic Schools.

Jezzielin said:
What about physiology and biochemistry???

Yes for Osteopathic schools they ARE counted into your science gpa, however I am not sure if physiology is counted for allopathic. You might want to post a thread in allo forum.

crys20 said:

The sweetness!!! No Math in the science GPA! OMG, I did not know this! I'm in like the same situation as you. My BCPM is ruined by my D in calc and C+ in trig. Oh, DO schools, how wonderful!

That blows... my math classes were the easiest! Welp there goes my Science GPA - two As down the drain. :mad:

SORRY ONE MORE - Epidemiology? Does that count???

I am sure physiology would be in the science GPA.

crys20 said:
I am sure physiology would be in the science GPA.

Yes, physiology would be counted, if it was taken in the science department.

This is not to be confused with those allied health A&P courses that nursing students take. These aren't science courses.

If you took A&P, it may not count.

Jezzielin said:
That blows... my math classes were the easiest! Welp there goes my Science GPA - two As down the drain. :mad:

SORRY ONE MORE - Epidemiology? Does that count???

Sure does!

topolm said:
My aacomas science gpa which includes chemical engineering classes is 2.89, while amcas science gpa is a 3.27. Is it even worth applying DO??? I think I might have a better shot at allopathic cause the gpa is higher. Advice please? I'd be an older applicant too. 5 years out of college.

Dude, I can't help you, but I am totally thrilled to hear that my engineering classes will be included in my science GPA!! Woohooo!!

I am older, too, and have heard that DO schools are more sympathetic to nontrads. Maybe they look at the whole package not just the numbers?

Indeed, see what dept the physio was in. Mine was hardcore...I know the Vander book literally like the back of my hand. If that isn't science i don't know what is :)