OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phlame217

PGY-1 IM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd start this up for the next application cycle. If anyone needs tips, hints, or any kind of help, feel free to post here or PM me.

Gl to the next round of applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

I figured I'd start this up for the next application cycle. If anyone needs tips, hints, or any kind of help, feel free to post here or PM me.

Gl to the next round of applicants!

I think one of the mods started a thread for this application cycle yesterday

I saw it a little afterwards.... Before i posted this, i did a search for "OSU-COM" and only saw the current and last years thread. The mod posted "OSUCOM" and I saw it later...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know OOS stats for getting into OSU?

tend to be higher than instate obviously, typically a >3.75 GPA and >26 MCAT with a well rounded app (shadowing, experience, high level coursework, etc.). Every student is considered on a case-by-case basis however.

tend to be higher than instate obviously, typically a >3.75 GPA and >26 MCAT with a well rounded app (shadowing, experience, high level coursework, etc.). Every student is considered on a case-by-case basis however.

Great thanks. I wasn't worried about my GPA (though I am suprised at the >3.75) but was a little worried about my MCAT of 28. I'll go ahead and apply then.

For in state you need >=3.6 GPA, and out of state needs 1 std deviation greater to be competitive meaning about a 3.75. The 3.6 comes direct from the website.

Anybody know anything about the secondary prompts yet? Are they the same as last years?

2ndary's weren't out till august last year, so dont expect much.

Do not worry about that MCAT. I'm OOS and had a ~3.8 and 28, like you, and totally got in. Some mildly interesting experiences on my app, and a comfortable, true-to-yourself interview will fix you right up.

Great thanks. I wasn't worried about my GPA (though I am suprised at the >3.75) but was a little worried about my MCAT of 28. I'll go ahead and apply then.

I'm applying as OOS with a ~3.8 and a 25 (10V, 8BS, 7PS). However, I went to college in Oklahoma and have tons of ties to Oklahoma (lots of family members, etc.). Do you guys think that going to college in Oklahoma and having ties will give me a better chance?

Yes, they even have an additional form to fill out if i recall right (since I was instate, didnt have to deal with it) that states the additional information about instate ties and all that will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they even have an additional form to fill out if i recall right (since I was instate, didnt have to deal with it) that states the additional information about instate ties and all that will help.

I didn't see an additional form, though one of the essay prompts is "why do you want to attend OSU-COM" and this is where I wrote the ties I had with the area.

I'm applying as OOS with a ~3.8 and a 25 (10V, 8BS, 7PS). However, I went to college in Oklahoma and have tons of ties to Oklahoma (lots of family members, etc.). Do you guys think that going to college in Oklahoma and having ties will give me a better chance?

Probably. I was OOS and they definitely made it a point to ask me that in my interview: what kinds of ties do i have, will i be able to adjust to a different state, blah blah blah. So having a strong connection to OK I think will definitely help you. Play it up alot, like talk about how "though you dont live there, OK is still like home", or something like that. You have good stats and I think you have a great chance of getting in if you apply early.

any ideas on signing the 5 year contract?
I am sorry for double post as I am not sure which one is official school thread.

Probably. I was OOS and they definitely made it a point to ask me that in my interview: what kinds of ties do i have, will i be able to adjust to a different state, blah blah blah. So having a strong connection to OK I think will definitely help you. Play it up alot, like talk about how "though you dont live there, OK is still like home", or something like that. You have good stats and I think you have a great chance of getting in if you apply early.

Cool, that's good to know... I'm about to finish the secondary (hopefully today) and my letters should be in by Aug ~10th. Also, I'm retaking the MCAT August 4th, so busy time lol. I guess it'll all be said and done by September 6th or so... can't wait, and good luck everyone.

I got the "you are complete" email today! It said that they don't do interviews until October!!! Geez...

hang in there october will be here soon enough

I'm an OOS, and not sure if I should apply to OSU. My cGPA is 3.07 and my sGPA is 2.92...just above to min requirements. I have an MCAT of 28, and I completed a post-bac program at a medical school that increased my GPA and gave me a ton of shadowing experience, including a medical mission trip. I have awesome letters and a lot of leadership and service experiences (10 mission trips in 3 countries and 3 states).

I'm just not sure if my GPA is too low to be considered for admission as an OOS. Any help would be great!

Call the admissions office and talk to them. They are really good about communicating what they are looking for. Just realize that now is the time to apply don't wait.

Give em a call, but I think you are worthy!

Anyone been called for an interview yet?

You probably wont hear till the first week of October.

Just spoke with the school. First round interviews will be October 20-22. Invites have not been made yet.

Invites should be going out any time... gl

has anyone heard anything? i checked last year's thread and looks like they should be making calls for interview invites starting today...

congrats on the invite! care to share your stats?

Oct 21st

cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.9
MCAT 27

should take a week (+/- a litte for location) from submitting the secondary to get an all complete email.

Congrats on those who got interviews! I'll try to stop by the room on the three interview days and saw hi.

My biggest issue on getting the secondary completed was just getting the letters there since you have no control on when those are mailed.

Everything on OSU COM's end happens pretty fast, I think.

yep, we have an awesome staff here!

hmm well i'm a bit dissapointed i haven't been called for the first round of interviews. i'm assuming all invites have been made :(
oh well i'll hope for the next round!
i got a call from the school requesting an updated transcript about a week ago... the reason I hadn't sent it yet is one of my classes was an internship and I haven't gotten the final grade yet. is there any way this could have prevented me from getting an interview?
haha i am kind of freaking out and thinking they don't like me! any thoughts are appreciated... keeping :xf: for the next round!

What are your stats?
And yes, until your file is complete you won't be considered for an interview. Therefore the lack of a transcript will do it.

thanks for the reply- I didn't realize I was considered incomplete because the only grades they don't have are from the summer (I should have sent it, but thought I would do it when one of my grades came through)...

29P- 11 PS, 9 V, 9 BS
cGPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.7

ugh now i'm kicking myself!

Those are first round stats given you're not defficient in some other area, don't fret though next round will be about 3 weeks after first round. Be sure to get all your stuff in and get the all complete email!

The committee will usually meet a week before phone calls for both interviews and post-interview results, so expect next round to go out around the end of the first week of November and the results from the first interviews shortly before those.

thanks for the info/encouragement... i'm really hoping to get a second round interview. I have another interview at an MD school and I wish I could have gotten an interview at OSU to see the DO side of things before making a choice.
i'm afraid i'll have to decide about the MD school before I get an invite to OSU :(
of course, this is assuming the other school likes me haha.... soooo many variables here. i guess i'm just saying i'd like a chance at both a DO and MD school to decide which fits me better. I've heard nothing but good things about OSU!

First deposits arn't due till December and are refundable until some date in May. Therefore if you were accepted to said MD school, you could hold that and always withdraw at a later date with no repercussions.

Don't choose a school just because they are the first to accept, and don't let it bother you that you have or don't have interviews else where. Go into every interview like its your only one, see the school as if you were already there, and talk to the students as if you were one of them. Ask how classes are, how professors treat you, etc...

Its a bad sign if students or staff ignore you on tours, try to acknowledge them and see if they return the favor.

I have no regrets about OSU because it is a strong, tight family.

thanks for the info/encouragement... i'm really hoping to get a second round interview. I have another interview at an MD school and I wish I could have gotten an interview at OSU to see the DO side of things before making a choice.
i'm afraid i'll have to decide about the MD school before I get an invite to OSU :(
of course, this is assuming the other school likes me haha.... soooo many variables here. i guess i'm just saying i'd like a chance at both a DO and MD school to decide which fits me better. I've heard nothing but good things about OSU!

Hey, I've seen you on the OU thread too. I think we are both applying to OU and OSU. I have similar stats as you (30, 3.8) and I'm interviewing Oct 21st at OSU. Lol, however, I didn't quite get my app in before the first rounds of interviews at OU were given. So, essentially, we need to merge and have interviews at both OSU and OU lol. Maybe interview together Step Brothers style?

haha yes! how about i'll let you know how my interview goes, you let me know about yours... and then hopefully we will both get 2nd round interviews to the opposite schools!
unless they would just merge our applications into one and let us tag team :)

Bump, I'll be looking forward to seeing you all next week. However just 1 warning, the first years will be fine because we're in a bi-week of testing and have some time off.

However, 2nd years are coming off of 5 tests in 7 class room days so they may seem a little edgy, just fair warning.

OOS, got an interview for Nov 3rd.

Phlame is the 6k for books/supplies a real number? OSU seems to have the highest cost for books and supplies out of all the schools I've looked at so far, 15k over 4 years.

Has OSU started calling for interviews again? I didn't make the first round but hoping I can get in on the second round with my updated MCAT.