Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
Anybody else interview at Ohio State and placed on their deferred list for now?

Do they even reject post-interview and just lump everyone not accepted right away in their deferred decision group? I was checking out the older threads about OSU and supposedly in past years when they sent their little letter about the deferred thing, more competitive applicants got a little P.S. on the bottom indicating that they should probably expect an acceptance in the coming months. I dunno if they're doing that this year. Can anyone shed some light on this if you got the P.S.?

I seem to remember that they create a waitlist after May 15 but for now according to the admissions office, our files are actively under review until then.
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
OSU does reject post-interview.

I just finished grad school so a number of my friends are current med students. A number of them were placed on the waitlist post-interview. Some of them even got calls the week before classes started.

OSU is weird, they flat out rejected me pre-interview.
 

kornnata

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
47
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I have been on that list for almost two months now. It seems to be a long summer of waiting for me...
 

DPS319

Guest
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
182
0
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:
OSU does reject post-interview.

I just finished grad school so a number of my friends are current med students. A number of them were placed on the waitlist post-interview. Some of them even got calls the week before classes started.

OSU is weird, they flat out rejected me pre-interview.

A week? Try 6pm the night before classes start. True story.
 

ribbi_j

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
60
0
Status
For whatever it's worth- I was put in their little "deferred decision" pile - with NO PS. so hopefully that was a done away with tradition because I don't have one and I want to pretend I'm competitive.
 

kornnata

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
47
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ribbi_j said:
For whatever it's worth- I was put in their little "deferred decision" pile - with NO PS. so hopefully that was a done away with tradition because I don't have one and I want to pretend I'm competitive.
Yean, I got no PS either. During the interview (which went pretty well, but not well enough apparently) the doctor told me a lot of people will be put on this list and a lot will be accepted out of it. I know he was trying to be encouraging. But man oh man, I know I am heading straight to that list.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
Kornata: Did you just recently interview? I interviewed in mid-February and one of the big questions people asked was if we were just going in for waitlist spots. Dr. Batisky and the admissions lab said that there were a few outright acceptances left they were willing to give out. But I think everyone pretty much realized unless they were amazing applicants that we were destined for deferred decisions and hopefully a waitlist and no outright rejections.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of movement on that waitlist. I've heard many people consider it a "backup" if they are trying to get into top 10/20 schools. Who knows.
 

kornnata

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
47
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Vomitonme said:
Kornata: Did you just recently interview? I interviewed in mid-February and one of the big questions people asked was if we were just going in for waitlist spots. Dr. Batisky and the admissions lab said that there were a few outright acceptances left they were willing to give out. But I think everyone pretty much realized unless they were amazing applicants that we were destined for deferred decisions and hopefully a waitlist and no outright rejections.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of movement on that waitlist. I've heard many people consider it a "backup" if they are trying to get into top 10/20 schools. Who knows.
I interviewed last week of January. Comes to think of it, that's only two weeks before you. I guess they did accept a lot of student already by then.

Thank you for the info, vomitonme.
 

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
1,160
8
36
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I was accepted off of a deferred status (interview in october/acceptance in december) but I don't remember about a PS in the status letter...

It definately said something about how I could be offered an acceptance at any time cause my file will be reviewed again at later meetings but I figured it said that to everyone.
 

stargirl50

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
209
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i interviewed at the beginning of feb and was deferred also.

when you guys talk about the letters they sent, you just mean the form letter on the status page, right? if so, mine had no "P.S."...for what it's worth.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
stargirl50 said:
i interviewed at the beginning of feb and was deferred also.

when you guys talk about the letters they sent, you just mean the form letter on the status page, right? if so, mine had no "P.S."...for what it's worth.
Yeah, just the electronic letter. I'm thinking they got rid of the PS thing as I only read about it from the threads from 2003.
 

nina512

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2002
267
0
Visit site
Status
Does "deferred" also mean being "placed in an alternate pool" of applicants? My electronic mail used those words.

My interviewer told me I'd likely be waitlisted (since I interviewed in March) and told me to continue updating my application because there is a lot of movement in the waitlist.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
nina512 said:
Does "deferred" also mean being "placed in an alternate pool" of applicants? My electronic mail used those words.

My interviewer told me I'd likely be waitlisted (since I interviewed in March) and told me to continue updating my application because there is a lot of movement in the waitlist.

When I talked to the admissions lady, she said that until May 15 or so, people who have the deferred decision are actively reviewed every so often. Then after May 15, a waitlist is formed. I think that's how it goes.
 

gbiz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
370
0
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i interviewed back in november, been deferred since december :/
 

kornnata

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
47
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Ranger47 said:
Well my deferred status just got changed - REJECTED. Anyone else in that boat?
Ranger47, when were you placed on deferred list? I am on it since early Feb. I thought they will keep us untill May. Boyd, this will keep Tuesday a special exciting day for a while for me.
 

ribbi_j

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
60
0
Status
tuesday? I'm confused. Is today Wednesday or am I in another world. Did the ADCOM meet yesterday? I hate this crap.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
Ranger47 said:
Well my deferred status just got changed - REJECTED. Anyone else in that boat?

Sorry to hear about the rejection Ranger. I just checked my email right now scared that I might get the same fate.Luckily(?) there hasvn't been anything.

When did you interview at the school?

And I believe the Ad-Com meets on Tuesdays. I'm thinking the interview season is over for them or almost over so they are probably not meeting every week to review or files. That's the impression I got from their office.
 

Ranger47

Doctor G
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
259
1
Visit site
Status
I interviewed in November. Dr. Batisky came to my school on Monday and I had a fifteen minute interview with him. He didn't want to ask me anything and so We just talked about the school and why I would want to go there. I don't know if that influenced anything or not.
 

nina512

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2002
267
0
Visit site
Status
I received an informational email regarding how the waitlist works. They say they don't rank the waitlist but it's based on the day the admissions committee voted on you (which is the same as the day you interviewed.) So I guess the earlier you interviewed the better your chances are of getting in off the waitlist.

Too bad for me because I interviewed at the beginning of March. That's all I've heard. I'm wondering how large the waitlist is for OSU. Does anyone know?

Nina
 

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
1,160
8
36
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I just gave up my spot at Ohio State.

I loved it there but a better scholarship offer came up.

I hope one of you guys get it. It is a great school.
 

medfun

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
24
0
Status
I too have been on deferred decision list since March. Can somebody please give us an update as to what our chances are, and how many people are on the list. I don't think that your ranked according to interview date though... read the email more carefully.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
I called em up, and the lady said there was something like 200 people on deferred decision. So it is a very large pool.

I also remember that the your general area on the waitlist is determined by how the committee voted for you and the overall "score" you got. I think that's how it works.
 

nina512

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2002
267
0
Visit site
Status
Oops...I did read that wrong!

I guess it's not when they vote but how...right?

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day
Admissions Committee vote."

I wish I had an idea of how they viewed my application. That way, I'd know whether or not to get my hopes up.
 

ribbi_j

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
60
0
Status
hmmmmmmm.... well here's hoping that my bright red backpack helped me stand out - hopefully I made an impression one way or another.
 

medfun

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
24
0
Status
so what kind of time fram do you think we have here? for how many people is this their #1 choice (at least at this point in the process)?
 

redrocks

Sunny skies ahead
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
120
0
Down in Durham
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DrThom said:
I just gave up my spot at Ohio State.

I loved it there but a better scholarship offer came up.

I hope one of you guys get it. It is a great school.
It seems like a decent amount of people are finding out and picking other schools, so hopefully there will be waitlist movement for you all. Good luck, and maybe we'll see you in a couple of months.
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
nina512 said:
Oops...I did read that wrong!

I guess it's not when they vote but how...right?

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day
Admissions Committee vote."

I wish I had an idea of how they viewed my application. That way, I'd know whether or not to get my hopes up.

Yeah, from the email they sent

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day Admissions Committee vote"

So luckily those of us who interviewed a little late in the game are still in the running.

But I really wish the waitlist wasn't so big. I know that the class size is huge, but damn, what's the point if your #199 on the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone.
 

gbiz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
370
0
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Vomitonme said:
Yeah, from the email they sent

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day Admissions Committee vote"

So luckily those of us who interviewed a little late in the game are still in the running.

But I really wish the waitlist wasn't so big. I know that the class size is huge, but damn, what's the point if your #199 on the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone.

Well you have to admit, its better then UMich... I am on the bottom "tier" of their waitlist, which means bottom 3rd. Their waitlist is 350 people big, while their class is 140. The waitlist is over double the class size!!!!!

So yep, Im deferred from OSU too :/
 
OP
V

Vomitonme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
161
0
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
gbiz said:
Well you have to admit, its better then UMich... I am on the bottom "tier" of their waitlist, which means bottom 3rd. Their waitlist is 350 people big, while their class is 140. The waitlist is over double the class size!!!!!

So yep, Im deferred from OSU too :/

Ouch, that is pretty bad. I shouldn't complain about OSU though but I probably still will.

But with your stats, you'er bound to get into one of the schools of your choice.