OSU deferred decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bap2qwrq7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else interview at Ohio State and placed on their deferred list for now?

Do they even reject post-interview and just lump everyone not accepted right away in their deferred decision group? I was checking out the older threads about OSU and supposedly in past years when they sent their little letter about the deferred thing, more competitive applicants got a little P.S. on the bottom indicating that they should probably expect an acceptance in the coming months. I dunno if they're doing that this year. Can anyone shed some light on this if you got the P.S.?

I seem to remember that they create a waitlist after May 15 but for now according to the admissions office, our files are actively under review until then.

Members don't see this ad.

OSU does reject post-interview.

I just finished grad school so a number of my friends are current med students. A number of them were placed on the waitlist post-interview. Some of them even got calls the week before classes started.

OSU is weird, they flat out rejected me pre-interview.

I have been on that list for almost two months now. It seems to be a long summer of waiting for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
OSU does reject post-interview.

I just finished grad school so a number of my friends are current med students. A number of them were placed on the waitlist post-interview. Some of them even got calls the week before classes started.

OSU is weird, they flat out rejected me pre-interview.

A week? Try 6pm the night before classes start. True story.

For whatever it's worth- I was put in their little "deferred decision" pile - with NO PS. so hopefully that was a done away with tradition because I don't have one and I want to pretend I'm competitive.

ribbi_j said:
For whatever it's worth- I was put in their little "deferred decision" pile - with NO PS. so hopefully that was a done away with tradition because I don't have one and I want to pretend I'm competitive.

Yean, I got no PS either. During the interview (which went pretty well, but not well enough apparently) the doctor told me a lot of people will be put on this list and a lot will be accepted out of it. I know he was trying to be encouraging. But man oh man, I know I am heading straight to that list.

Kornata: Did you just recently interview? I interviewed in mid-February and one of the big questions people asked was if we were just going in for waitlist spots. Dr. Batisky and the admissions lab said that there were a few outright acceptances left they were willing to give out. But I think everyone pretty much realized unless they were amazing applicants that we were destined for deferred decisions and hopefully a waitlist and no outright rejections.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of movement on that waitlist. I've heard many people consider it a "backup" if they are trying to get into top 10/20 schools. Who knows.

Vomitonme said:
Kornata: Did you just recently interview? I interviewed in mid-February and one of the big questions people asked was if we were just going in for waitlist spots. Dr. Batisky and the admissions lab said that there were a few outright acceptances left they were willing to give out. But I think everyone pretty much realized unless they were amazing applicants that we were destined for deferred decisions and hopefully a waitlist and no outright rejections.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of movement on that waitlist. I've heard many people consider it a "backup" if they are trying to get into top 10/20 schools. Who knows.

I interviewed last week of January. Comes to think of it, that's only two weeks before you. I guess they did accept a lot of student already by then.

Thank you for the info, vomitonme.

I was accepted off of a deferred status (interview in october/acceptance in december) but I don't remember about a PS in the status letter...

It definately said something about how I could be offered an acceptance at any time cause my file will be reviewed again at later meetings but I figured it said that to everyone.

i interviewed at the beginning of feb and was deferred also.

when you guys talk about the letters they sent, you just mean the form letter on the status page, right? if so, mine had no "P.S."...for what it's worth.

stargirl50 said:
i interviewed at the beginning of feb and was deferred also.

when you guys talk about the letters they sent, you just mean the form letter on the status page, right? if so, mine had no "P.S."...for what it's worth.

Yeah, just the electronic letter. I'm thinking they got rid of the PS thing as I only read about it from the threads from 2003.

Does "deferred" also mean being "placed in an alternate pool" of applicants? My electronic mail used those words.

My interviewer told me I'd likely be waitlisted (since I interviewed in March) and told me to continue updating my application because there is a lot of movement in the waitlist.

nina512 said:
Does "deferred" also mean being "placed in an alternate pool" of applicants? My electronic mail used those words.

My interviewer told me I'd likely be waitlisted (since I interviewed in March) and told me to continue updating my application because there is a lot of movement in the waitlist.

When I talked to the admissions lady, she said that until May 15 or so, people who have the deferred decision are actively reviewed every so often. Then after May 15, a waitlist is formed. I think that's how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my deferred status just got changed - REJECTED. Anyone else in that boat?

i interviewed back in november, been deferred since december :/

Ranger47 said:

Ranger47, when were you placed on deferred list? I am on it since early Feb. I thought they will keep us untill May. Boyd, this will keep Tuesday a special exciting day for a while for me.

tuesday? I'm confused. Is today Wednesday or am I in another world. Did the ADCOM meet yesterday? I hate this crap.

yes i think they meet on tuesday

Ranger47 said:

Sorry to hear about the rejection Ranger. I just checked my email right now scared that I might get the same fate.Luckily(?) there hasvn't been anything.

When did you interview at the school?

And I believe the Ad-Com meets on Tuesdays. I'm thinking the interview season is over for them or almost over so they are probably not meeting every week to review or files. That's the impression I got from their office.

I interviewed in November. Dr. Batisky came to my school on Monday and I had a fifteen minute interview with him. He didn't want to ask me anything and so We just talked about the school and why I would want to go there. I don't know if that influenced anything or not.

Just wanted to bump this post up with May 15 coming up. Has anyone heard any new information since the email they sent out a few weeks ago?

I received an informational email regarding how the waitlist works. They say they don't rank the waitlist but it's based on the day the admissions committee voted on you (which is the same as the day you interviewed.) So I guess the earlier you interviewed the better your chances are of getting in off the waitlist.

Too bad for me because I interviewed at the beginning of March. That's all I've heard. I'm wondering how large the waitlist is for OSU. Does anyone know?

Nina

I just gave up my spot at Ohio State.

I loved it there but a better scholarship offer came up.

I hope one of you guys get it. It is a great school.

I too have been on deferred decision list since March. Can somebody please give us an update as to what our chances are, and how many people are on the list. I don't think that your ranked according to interview date though... read the email more carefully.

you are ranked by your committee vote

I called em up, and the lady said there was something like 200 people on deferred decision. So it is a very large pool.

I also remember that the your general area on the waitlist is determined by how the committee voted for you and the overall "score" you got. I think that's how it works.

Oops...I did read that wrong!

I guess it's not when they vote but how...right?

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day
Admissions Committee vote."

I wish I had an idea of how they viewed my application. That way, I'd know whether or not to get my hopes up.

hmmmmmmm.... well here's hoping that my bright red backpack helped me stand out - hopefully I made an impression one way or another.

so what kind of time fram do you think we have here? for how many people is this their #1 choice (at least at this point in the process)?

DrThom said:
I just gave up my spot at Ohio State.

I loved it there but a better scholarship offer came up.

I hope one of you guys get it. It is a great school.
It seems like a decent amount of people are finding out and picking other schools, so hopefully there will be waitlist movement for you all. Good luck, and maybe we'll see you in a couple of months.

nina512 said:
Oops...I did read that wrong!

I guess it's not when they vote but how...right?

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day
Admissions Committee vote."

I wish I had an idea of how they viewed my application. That way, I'd know whether or not to get my hopes up.

Yeah, from the email they sent

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day Admissions Committee vote"

So luckily those of us who interviewed a little late in the game are still in the running.

But I really wish the waitlist wasn't so big. I know that the class size is huge, but damn, what's the point if your #199 on the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone.

Vomitonme said:
Yeah, from the email they sent

"The deferred list is not ranked but is grouped based on your interview day Admissions Committee vote"

So luckily those of us who interviewed a little late in the game are still in the running.

But I really wish the waitlist wasn't so big. I know that the class size is huge, but damn, what's the point if your #199 on the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone.

Well you have to admit, its better then UMich... I am on the bottom "tier" of their waitlist, which means bottom 3rd. Their waitlist is 350 people big, while their class is 140. The waitlist is over double the class size!!!!!

So yep, Im deferred from OSU too :/

gbiz said:
Well you have to admit, its better then UMich... I am on the bottom "tier" of their waitlist, which means bottom 3rd. Their waitlist is 350 people big, while their class is 140. The waitlist is over double the class size!!!!!

So yep, Im deferred from OSU too :/

Ouch, that is pretty bad. I shouldn't complain about OSU though but I probably still will.

But with your stats, you'er bound to get into one of the schools of your choice.