OSU or Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloverfield

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am torn between OSU and Case! I am a non-ohio resident, so I don't get to pay the in-state tuition for OSU. If anyone can share some info about these schools and help compare, that'd be great. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen/visited both. Case seems to be ahead technologically...they have sim labs and do a lot of research as it is a private institution. Case is also more clinically focused. Ohio State's main advantages are a)living in Columbus over Cleveland and b)a very nice clinical area to practice in. I haven't seen all of Case's dental school, but OSU just re-finished some areas and seemed like a nice place to spend 2 years practicing dentistry. You also have to consider cost, which might be more even since your from out of state. I haven't made the decision of Case or OSU yet myself, so good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent 6 weeks at Case last summer. The dental school and the students there were great but the area surrounding the campus is very boring and unsafe. Most of the students that I talked to at Case also had the opportunity to go to OSU, but still went to Case. OSU I have not seen as much of, but I have a few friends that go there and they all love it there.

Thanks for the inputs. I am wondering what their reputations are, since I am interested in specializing.

Take what I say with a grain of salt.
I believe the first your @OSU you are gonna pay the out of state tuition but you can present your case to the school and after completing their requirements you could be considered in-state and pay the instate tuition.

So for now, let's just focus on the strengths/weaknesses of OSU and Case that are not related to money. Money matters, of course, but I am primarily looking at the quality of education and the likelihood of getting into specialty.

Study hard and you will do good on your exams and will get into any specialty you want. Everyone used to tell me I wouldn't be able to get into dental schools because I went to a community college for 2 years,look at me now I got accepted to 4 schools. It all comes down to how much you are willing to put into this.

Little disclaimer, I've interviewed at Case and only visited OSU. In my humble opinion, I would choose Case. Here's why: class size is much smaller, abundant research opportunities, you get your own operatory, plenty of service opportunities, and clinical training is superb (you place sealants as a 1st year). The cons for me were the price and the PBL curriculum. Cleveland has very affordable housing and some great neighborhoods with a lot to do and discover (though it's not as young a city as Columbus). Good luck in your decision making!

So for now, let's just focus on the strengths/weaknesses of OSU and Case that are not related to money. Money matters, of course, but I am primarily looking at the quality of education and the likelihood of getting into specialty.

Unfortunately it really does come down to the benjamins. You will get in-state tuition after one year at Ohio State, saving you over $30k a year for 3 years. When I was interviewing for schools I also went to both Case and OSU and I decided on OSU. I talked to several students at OSU, and have now experienced it myself for 6 months - the technology impact of the preclinic labs really don't add up to much. You get plenty of practice doing it on a typodont vs a computer. OSU is also in the process of upgrading their labs over the next 2 years, but honestly even though they call it 'the pits' here at OSU, its plenty adequate.

I don't know how much the comment about research is true... Ohio State is one of the largest research instiutions in the country. We have every specialty available (some think this is good, some think its bad. Sometimes you get to do less stuff because its always referred, but you can always shadow the post-grad specialties and help out there as well to get experience), and plenty of research opportunities. Professors are top-notch are Ohio State, and the whole experience has been fantastic so far.

We placed sealants on each other the first quarter, I'm not sure if the poster above meant placing them on patients. Regardless, placing sealants doesn't even require a handpiece, and isn't that much of an advantage to start doing 2 years early, haha. Good luck, if you have any specific questions about OSU feel free to message me, I'm a D1 here