OSU, PCO, & Newenco Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amrod07

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to SDN...I applied to PCO, OSU, and Newenco and I have been invited for interviews at all three. I am going to OSU this weekend (Oct 4th) and I am really nervous. Anyone have any pointers or any idea what I can expect?? Hope you can help! Thank you!

amrod07:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -- welcome to SDN!

I have my first interviews this month (PCO and SUNY), so I can't help you with any experiences, but I did tour OSU this summer. I didn't apply there because I'd prefer to stay on the east coast, but I thought I'd check it out while I was in Columbus. Have you visited OSU before? If not--*definitely* find the optometry school building a day or so before your interview -- OSU is a monsterous campus (something like 55,000 students!), and it will improve your stress level to know exactly where you are going.

My impression of OSU was that it is definitely a "state" school -- the facilities are nice, but not shiny like many of the private schools are. The school is housed in a beautiful old building, and is definitely in need of a little updating inside. You do have the benefits of being on a huge campus -- something like 7 major libraries, med school facilities, cultural and sports stuff (Go Bucks!), etc., that you wouldn't get at a smaller school. Plus their graduate research programs are really good and many optometry students get the opportunity to work (for $$$, too) with the researchers.

My advice to you for your interviews is to remember that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you, and to be sure to ask as many questions as you can about their program and opportunities. By doing this you also show you've done your research and are truly interested in them, which is a great side benefit.

Good luck this weekend, and let us know how it goes!!!

:)

amrod07...would you mind telling me your statistics...such as gpa. oat, and major...would like know since you got 3 interviews...must be pretty impressive!!
Thanks..
You can PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
r_salis,

Thanks for your reply! So you are interviewing at PCO, too?! That's awesome! I am going there this friday (OCt. 18th)! PCO is, at this point, my first choice...so I am really looking forward to it! When are you going to be there?

Ohio St. was ok...pretty much everything you said as far as the building and the research was the same impression I got when I was there. I think PCO's classrooms and facilities are a lot nicer...newer and brighter, anyway...but OSU still seemed like a cool place to be...it definitely had it's advantages...

amrod07:D

Grand Teton,

I don't really know how much of a factor my qpa and oats and all that other stuff influenced getting interviews. The most important thing I did, I think, was get all the application materials in early. Sure, the other stuff is important, I guess, but I don't think any of my numbers are all that impressive...

amrod07

Originally posted by amrod07
r_salis,

Thanks for your reply! So you are interviewing at PCO, too?! That's awesome! I am going there this friday (OCt. 18th)! PCO is, at this point, my first choice...so I am really looking forward to it! When are you going to be there?

Ohio St. was ok...pretty much everything you said as far as the building and the research was the same impression I got when I was there. I think PCO's classrooms and facilities are a lot nicer...newer and brighter, anyway...but OSU still seemed like a cool place to be...it definitely had it's advantages...

amrod07:D
Are you taking the OAT the 19th? I almost scheduled my interview for the 18th until I realized it was the day before OAT-day. I'm going to be at PCO Oct 23rd -- let me know how your interview goes!!! Good luck!!! Hopefully we'll be classmates next fall! :D

r_salis,

Good Luck on the OATs!!! Don't sweat 'em! I'm not taking them on the 19th, thankfully. I took them last october because I didn't really expect to do well, so I wanted to give myself plenty of opportunities to re-take them! Surprisingly, I did fine the first time, so it was all good! They are really not as bad as they seem. I think tests like that are just designed to see how well you do under pressure. So don't stress, and you'll do great!

Good Luck! And it would be AWESOME if we are classmates!!! I'll let you know how it goes on the 18th! Let me know how the OATs go, too!!

amrod07