OSU vs. Case vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartres

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having trouble making up my mind, with May 15 rapidly approaching...Anyone want to offer advice?

Kind of leaning toward OSU right now because their independent study pathway is my favorite curriculum of the three (limited class time, set your own test dates), and they offer grants for you to study abroad. Drawbacks? It's in Ohio (Not that there's anything wrong with Ohio...I just prefer living in larger cities) and it doesn't have the reputation Case does.

I loved the people at Case, it's got a good reputation and they also offer grants for studying abroad. However, it's more expensive (although not very much more), the curriculum is more rigid, and it's in Ohio.

Tulane's got New Orleans going for it and Charity Hospital has a great ED (I'm thinking of doing emergency medicine) It's the most expensive.

Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would select Case because of it reputation and overall it's a great school. Don't know too much about Tulane, but between Ohio state and Case, I think Case is the better deal. If money is a factor, you should look at their financial aid packages.

I'm not sure if you're in state.

I had almost the same choice as you. I picked Case b/c of its superior reputation and association with Cleveland Clinic.

It was easy to withdraw from Tulane, mostly b/c I dont particularly like lousiana - too hot and muggy. Case has a much better rep too.

As for Ohio State, I declined b/c the school is just too large (210) and I would have to pay a lot first year out of state, making it only 50k less than Case. Case also has a better rep than Ohio State in my opinion, although I was pretty impressed with OSU when I interviewed there. Feel free to PM me if you and to discuss more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Case. I don't care what anyone says--it has a better rep. than OSU. Without exception, whenever anyone has asked me where I plan to go to school, I've gotten "Wow! You got into Case? Case is an incredible school!" This is from professors, peers etc. With other schools, the response has been more like "you got into med school? good job!"
Plus, OSU is too big, AND it has a Michigan complex. GO BLUE! (even though you broke my heart :( ...)

SoulRFlare said:
Plus, OSU is too big, AND it has a Michigan complex. GO BLUE! (even though you broke my heart :( ...)

Dude seriously, i think i heard "michigan" more than "OSU" while i was interviewing there. They even asked each one of us if we applied to UMich!

Tough choice you have there. All great schools for different reasons. If it's me, I pick Case for it's reputation and the curriculum there is great. But there are great reasons to pick the other schools, too.

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus: Case. It really is a well-respected school, it has a laid back atmosphere, and it has a great curriculum with early clinical exposure and wonderful elective opportunities.

I was really intrested in the ISP as well as OSU. But then I started to look at the schedules, and I did not think that I would have the guts to do it. For instance, the module for ALL of biochemistry was ELEVEN DAYS!!! My eyeballs fell right out of my head. ELEVEN DAYS to learn and understand two semesters worth of biochemistry???? I didn't see how it could be possible. I don't know how people do it - but obviously they do.

That said, if you are in-state you have to seriously consider OSU from a financial perspective (though Case is still a legitimate choice). But if you are out of state, I think Case all the way. Don't bother with Tulane - costs about as much as Case, right?

Judd