1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

OSU vs. NYU???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TEETHCO2013, Dec 14, 2008.

1. TEETHCO2013

Pre-Dental
    I'm having a dilemma....I got accepted to NYU and OSU but I don't know which one I should go to?

I've heard OSU has a pretty decent program, but it's facilities were really old and they didn't have a lot of good technology. Plus it's in Ohio.
    On the other hand, NYU is in NYC. But, I've heard some controversial things about it's program.

Where would you go??? and WHY???
    **edit 2: I'm looking for reasons NOT related to money...

Thanks for the advice

**edit: I also was wondering about the diversity of the student body at each of the schools. I know that NYC is a very diverse place, but I haven't heard much about OSU's diversity in the dental school (i know that its undergrad is pretty diverse). When I visited, I didn't really get the impression of them having a diverse class....?? any truth to this?

#1 TEETHCO2013, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. froggiesmile

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'll def. go to NYU... I have the same issue with UF and NYU...
    UF has state tuition.
    but NYU is in the city. i love the city. and I have heard people love it and hate it there but its the same for any other schools some people hate it some people love it.
    But I really think if you go to school in NYC, you will have alot more connections than other people who went to other schools just because it is NYC. I dont know, I just like the idea of working diverse people and how all the anatomy classes are nicely dissected for you. You dont' want to spend extra time tryign to dissect when you aren't going to dissect ever in your life. You know?

I think I will choose NYU. HELLO classmate!

4. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    OSU... you'll save thousands of thousands of dollars... and Ohio state is a HUGE state school with enough to do around the area that you won't be bored.

Do your research its worth saving the $$...

I'm from Ohio and wish I got into OSU.... so give it a thought!

plus living expenses are way lower.

I have a friend who graduated from there and loved it... maybe tour the schools again? It'd be worth it....

5. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I'd really go to NYU, it seems more practical to have double the class size and tuition!

6. TEETHCO2013

Pre-Dental

I have a military scholarship (army), so the cost of the school isn't a factor for me.

you say that there's a lot to do around the area?? I'm not a big fan of bars, that's mostly what I hear about. Bars and football (maybe my sources are biased haha)......

7. 206127

Dental Student
    I was going to say OSU. But with cost not being a factor and you not being a fan of bars/football, I say go to NYU (OSU is old, NYU is new).

8. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hmm.. in that case I'm not sure!

I would definitely do a tour of both schools... find out pros and cons...
    Important things like... their exam schedules... board rates... etc....

General demeanor of students....

We've all heard our fair share of bad gossip about NYU..... but I don't think people would keep going there unless there was something good about the school.

In the area... YES ...bars and football! You say you like neither? I'm not really sure how to respond to that, haha. There's some fine dining and such...

There's comedy clubs, mall, theater.... NOTHING compared to NYU though.....so if you're looking for that lifestyle... its a great opportunity.

If you aren't paying for living expenses either than NYU sounds nice... I like the idea of having a nice big place to go back to after a long day... instead of an apartment.

I guess I'm baised after living in Washington, DC for the past 4 years.... ridiculous price for housing for a small little one bedrooms.... hostile drivers... not as friendly as the midwest.... I'm definitely a biased opinion.

I see why your decision is tough :)
    Do your research... revisit schools... talk to students... Figure out where you'll be the happiest ! If cost is not a factor than there's nothing holding you back from either school besides your gut feeling.
    Good luck!

9. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Cost of living is an issue regardless of your scholarship. $1900 a month will only take you so far...

10. froggiesmile

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you don't really need transportation . (like cars) everything is within a bus ride or subway away which is SO nice. (i like that better)

When i visited OSU. i hated it because theres not that much to do. yeah for the first week or so you'll have fun. but thats true for any place u go live in. If you go to NYC... you'll have fun everyday for 4 years. some may argue you might not have the time to go do stuff but i really think its up to the person. broadway shows. comedy bars, street market, soho, shopping.

everything is at your fingertips at nyu. I think i will be happy at nyu. Dental education is the same everywhere i think. I jus want to go to a place where I can be happy for the next 4 years.

11. War Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :thumbup:

I'd say tOSU for sure.

12. TEETHCO2013

Pre-Dental
    but why OSU other than bc of money??

I don't want to sound stuck up, but money is not a big factor for me, even living cost.

I'm mostly interested in reasons NOT related to money.
    but i definitely appreciate all of the opinions/advice!

13. aegdboy

2+ Year Member

I look back and laugh at all of these threads. UOP is better than Penn bec.... USC has more requirements therefore i am better than BU....

Long story short, you pre-dents have no freak'n clue.

Go to the cheapest dental school possible. They all teach the BASICS!!!!

Big deal if you do 10 more crowns at one school than another. In private practice you will do 10 crowns in less than 2 weeks never mind 2 years in clinic.

As long as the school has the ADA approval, it it PERFECT!!!

Who cares how old the sim lab is. Even with the best technology sim lab, it will not make you a better dentist.

GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE!!!

My buddy that graduated NYU class of 2007 is paying monthly $2100 a month for 30 years! He has $310k in debt. I heard now NYU is closing in on $400k. Not worth it

14. aegdboy

2+ Year Member

And a side note. I am applying for jobs as we speak.

Not one has asked which school I went to or how many procedures I have done.

All they ask is have I passed my boards!

15. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't know anything about OSU, but I'm happy at NYU. Since money's not a factor, why not take this opportunity to live in the city? Unless you plan on working/raising a family in Manahattan, now might be the last time to experience life in New York.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again -- and people can disagree with me again. Every school is NOT the same. What's different between dental schools and med schools that makes it alright to rank med schools but not dental schools? The number of schools! It doesn't make that much sense to rank so few programs... but that doesn't mean there isn't a spectrum of quality in the same way there is in Med, Law, Business and every other professional education.

In my opinion, based on what I saw at my interviews, if dental schools were ranked, NYU would be one of the top programs -- just like NYU's business, law, and med schools. There's a lot of great things going on here.

16. aegdboy

2+ Year Member

#15 aegdboy, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  17. Rajan247

Rajan247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OSU- first 2 yrs suck and the facilities are not the best, but great clinical instructors and all 9 specialties. OS rotations are fun if you like hands on (nitrous, osteo-med, flaps and suturing) and you'll have great experience with extracting teeth.

Buckeye spirit will suck you in even if you are not a football fan (trust me, i'm from England)

I'm in my 3rd year at OSU and honestly, I cant complain. I think every school has bureaucracy.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

18. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You should go to the school and city that you feel the most comfortable and you find yourself happy! I am from LA and I like to live in large cities like LA, NYC or SF.If you liked NYC then go to NYU!:thumbup:

19. p0lkad0t

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    NYU!

OSU doesn't even have a dentsim lab, plus all it's other facilities are super old. at least NYU isn't as old/outdated, and it's in NYC! =)

20. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I've heard dentists graduating for Ohio State have fantastic hand-skills, they make that a big deal in the pre-clinical labs. Maybe Rajan can shed some light on that. Some dentists were saying they're hired associates from OSU and other schools and the hand skills from the OSU graduates were much much better

21. p0lkad0t

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah i've heard that too...from when i interviewed AT OSU. and most of those dentists they spoke of were hired in Ohio. Which is great, if it's really true and IF you want to stay in ohio. =)

22. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What? No question, NYU. Had you not presented that information, I'd say it was a straight toss up with a leaning towards OSU. But the government is footin the bill? Hell, get your tax dollars worth and go to the most expensive nicest school you can get into. ;)

23. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    *gasp!* savages!!

j/k :p

24. that guy

2+ Year Member

haha im in the same situation except money IS the deciding factor

25. Rajan247

Rajan247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Sure, i can shed some light, OSU starts its students off very early working on Clinical skills (second quarter-posterior crown preps). The requirements in Clinic (3rd yeah and 4th year) are pretty staunch.

For example
    4 complete denture units (2 sets of dentures)
    15 units of Fixed
    3 removable (distal extention and 2 others)
    Rotations in Pedo, Oral Surgery, Perio and dedicated implant clinic and a technology center.
    and more.

Basically, for the price you get a lot of experience in the fundamentals and a solid foundation in comprehensive case management and treatment planning.

I've never felt that by going to OSU, I've been limited in practicing in the state. Although, giving back to the state of Ohio is something that they want you to do. The beauty of having a dental degree is that you can go where you like, as long as do the pre-reqs for licensing.

there's more but i'm too lazy right now to write.

#24 Rajan247, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008