OSUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM. Which one????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRMRL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wanting to know something important. I am in a bind, and it is between (D.O.) OSU COM, CCOM and AZCOM. Can anyone tell me what the pro's and con's are about each school? I'm trying to figure out which one is, dare I say, better? I've been to each campus and liked them. I would like for any help. Thanks a lot. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was wanting to know something important. I am in a bind, and it is between (D.O.) OSU COM, CCOM and AZCOM. Can anyone tell me what the pro's and con's are about each school? I'm trying to figure out which one is, dare I say, better? I've been to each campus and liked them. I would like for any help. Thanks a lot. :)

Remember, there is no coverall answer to this question. What is important to you? Location? Cost? Residency affiliation? Reputation??? From what you've stated, I'm guessing that reputation/prestige is something you are interested in?? In that case, my answer would be: CCOM = OSUCOM >>>>> AZCOM. CCOM is one of the original, established as anything, and really well known and respected in the area. OSU is a state school ... which really speaks volumes for a DO program. It's also connected with a big undergrad (IE money), and everyone is going to know 'Oklahoma State' (just don't tell people from TX hahaha). You'd be fine at either of the two. However, if you get instate tuition at OSU ... do not pass this up.

Remember, there is no coverall answer to this question. What is important to you? Location? Cost? Residency affiliation? Reputation??? From what you've stated, I'm guessing that reputation/prestige is something you are interested in?? In that case, my answer would be: CCOM = OSUCOM >>>>> AZCOM. CCOM is one of the original, established as anything, and really well known and respected in the area. OSU is a state school ... which really speaks volumes for a DO program. It's also connected with a big undergrad (IE money), and everyone is going to know 'Oklahoma State' (just don't tell people from TX hahaha). You'd be fine at either of the two. However, if you get instate tuition at OSU ... do not pass this up.

I was going to answer a question in the Pre-osteo forum once. And then I saw JaggerPlate beat me to it. This happened everyday for several months. :(

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to answer a question in the Pre-osteo forum once. And then I saw JaggerPlate beat me to it. This happened everyday for several months. :(

Hahaha, sorry man. Your input is always appreciated!! JaggerPlate is definitely not the end all say all in pre-DO and I'm sure the OP would appreciate as much advice as possible.

Hahaha, sorry man. Your input is always appreciated!! JaggerPlate is definitely not the end all say all in pre-DO and I'm sure the OP would appreciate as much advice as possible.

Haha, mostly I'd just run around behind you going "x2."

I think it would bore us all to death, so maybe I'll give a weather update for the city of the the school that tickles my fancy/makes me feel like they may want me that day. That'll be code for x2 to whatever JP just said.

I'll second most of what Jagger has said and add the info that AZCOM recently increased class size by a good number making some people very worried about 3rd/4th year placement for rotations. I think more people were going to have to go to Ohio (I believe) or other states. There is more about this in other threads if you search for it. Good luck making a decision!

lol! This is so true. Whenever I see a thread I may post in, Jaggerplate always beats me to it and takes the words right out of my mouth. :thumbup: for Jagger. He/she and I always seem to have the same view/position on every subject. I wonder where he/she will end up going to school. Would be a pleasure to meet him/her.

lol! This is so true. Whenever I see a thread I may post in, Jaggerplate always beats me to it and takes the words right out of my mouth. :thumbup: for Jagger. He/she and I always seem to have the same view/position on every subject. I wonder where he/she will end up going to school. Would be a pleasure to meet him/her.

Hahah, as arrogant as it may sound, I get PMs asking me about where I am going to school all the time. I'll let people know in some capacity when all is said and done (probably just with the school listed in my signature). Glad my input is appreciated in the threads, and I'd always be happy to meet classmates. I'm also a he.

Hahah, as arrogant as it may sound, I get PMs asking me about where I am going to school all the time. I'll let people know in some capacity when all is said and done (probably just with the school listed in my signature). Glad my input is appreciated in the threads, and I'd always be happy to meet classmates. I'm also a he.

LOL sorry to hijack this thread, but I have been really interested in finding out what school you were going to choose. Apparently, there is a gaggle of Jagger stalkers on SDN. Anyways congrats to both Jagger and the OP for having the option of choose amongst schools. :D

Thanks for the updates. CCOM would be about 70K PER YEAR. OSUCOM would be 25K per year. Is OSU COM really as good as CCOM? :scared:

Thanks for the updates. CCOM would be about 70K PER YEAR. OSUCOM would be 25K per year. Is OSU COM really as good as CCOM? :scared:

It's a good school. Is it better??? I don't know. Is it worth it to save 45k a year. YUP!

I loved OSU-COM, I am proud to be starting there next year. I hope to see you there next year.

Is the OSUCOM figure including living expenses? If it is then yeah a 45K difference is insane. Wow, that just makes me sick thinking of the debt. Talk about a high price for dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love CCOM, but if I could save 45K a year (if this figure is right) I would be at OSU in a second. I don't really have that choice though haha. But unless you have some extenuating circumstance pulling you away from OSU I would say go there next year, you will get a great education at a reasonable price.

I love CCOM, but if I could save 45K a year (if this figure is right) I would be at OSU in a second. I don't really have that choice though haha. But unless you have some extenuating circumstance pulling you away from OSU I would say go there next year, you will get a great education at a reasonable price.

Osu com is about 40k a year including living expenses

MSUSpartan felt so passionate about CCOM that he posted three times. That should let you know how much it rocks and help with your decision. :smuggrin: Just kidding.

MSUSpartan felt so passionate about CCOM that he posted three times. That should let you know how much it rocks and help with your decision. :smuggrin: Just kidding.

:laugh: Still a 30K-35K difference a year is still major. The best part of this situation though is that you have a choice between some really great schools.

:laugh: Still a 30K-35K difference a year is still major. The best part of this situation though is that you have a choice between some really great schools.

40k a year vs 75k a year (estimated) ... no contest here. I get that it is hard though because CCOM is amazing. There is no doubt, but that is a LOT of money that you will all have to pay back, and OSU is a fantastic program as well.

Haha thanks Jagger. For some reason SDN was buggin out this morning. Oh well you all get the idea.

I have instate tuition at osu-com, plus I live in Tulsa. Thus, I'd live at home in medical school. That is why I can pay 25K per year instead of 40k...seems like a good idea to me...I don't know yet, though. :eek:

i thought ccom is 40k a year
is 35k+ living expenses?

i thought ccom is 40k a year
is 35k+ living expenses?

CCOM is like 47k a year for tuition. They give a sheet that states loans you can take out per year to cover everything and their estimated living cost and loans you can take out is like 76k altogether or something.

In my opinion, CCOM is so expensive because of their rotations. I could be way off about this/totally wrong ... but CCOM probably has the best rotations of any DO school and I can only assume these spots are paid for handsomely.

Yes, I definitely agree. When you can rotate with some of the best physicians in the country/ some of the best hospitals in the country, you have to pay handsomely. Oh, and yes, it is 70-76K (EVERYTHING included). Are the rotations worth the extra $$$!? :rolleyes:

Yes, I definitely agree. When you can rotate with some of the best physicians in the country/ some of the best hospitals in the country, you have to pay handsomely. Oh, and yes, it is 70-76K (EVERYTHING included). Are the rotations worth the extra $$$!? :rolleyes:

The answer to that question is no.

Admittedly, I am not an expert concerning the rotation sites at OSU-COM and I know absolutely nothing about CCOM. I am a resident of Oklahoma so I have not even considered out of state schools because of the tuition. How would you all compare OSU-COM’s clinical sites to CCOM’s clinical sites or for that matter, all other D.O. schools’ sites? OSU-COM is associated with a fairly large medical center and I know there are rotations there, but like I said, I don’t have a clue how it compares to other schools.

DRMRL,

Have you done more research on the types of rotations at OSUCOM? Is there a good blend on community/academic medicine? Have you been able to get into contact with any 3rd/4th yr students to see where they have gone and how rotations have worked out for them? Still though the money difference seems almost too much to overcome. I mean if the difference was like a total of 40K over 4 yrs that still a lot but it is CCOM; however 160K is...well it's a house...lol. I guess that's how I look at things.

I do like to play devil's advocate so I will say that since this is the last of your education (hopefully) that you should go where your heart desires. On that token I'd rather regret doing something, than regret not doing something.