OSUCOM --> I WANT IN!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would start an official OSUCOM fan club, but that would just be wrong....so instead I will ask for any suggestions from people who either attend OSUCOM, have been accepted, or have interviewed. I have really reserached the heck out of the school and I love it! If I weren't already married I would think about starting a relationship.... ummm, anyway.

PS. I'm an outta stater..UTAH, yuck i know, but give me suggestions please..

Here is my #'s

overall GPA: 3.63
science GPA: 3.58
non-science: 3.68
MCAT: 26M --> weak!! I know

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-1.5 yrs wroking as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 i traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service.
- 2005 American Heart Association Summer Undergraduate Internship Awardee
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)
- the list goes on as well but I'm too lazy to list.

I just read over what I wrote sorry if I sound cocky....It was not my purpose!

I would really appreciate any suggestion you might have for me and my love OSUCOM :love:

Members don't see this ad.

ScootDoc said:
I would start an official OSUCOM fan club, but that would just be wrong....so instead I will ask for any suggestions from people who either attend OSUCOM, have been accepted, or have interviewed. I have really reserached the heck out of the school and I love it! If I weren't already married I would think about starting a relationship.... ummm, anyway.

Here is my #'s

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-1.5 yrs wroking as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 i traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service.
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)

I would really appreciate any suggestion you might have for me and my love OSUCOM :love:

If you want to go to OSU-COM, let the admissions office know. Visit the school, speak with the staff there, and get a tour. They keep a record of those who visit to determine who is really interested in the school.

Yeah, I agree with OSUDoc! Let OSU know how interested you are. I went on a tour, went to the MEDextravaganza day to personally meet Dr. Fernandez and other faculty, ran the OSU Osteopathic 8K fun run, wrote way too many thank you notes after my interview, and it got to the point that the staff recognized my voice when I called. Now I start my first year in 12 days!

Your numbers and activities seem like you will make a very competitive applicant. Good luck with everything. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats/experience definitely make your application competitive at OSU. The other two have already given some good advice/suggestions for how to let the school know how interested you are.

DrMom said:
Your stats/experience definitely make your application competitive at OSU. The other two have already given some good advice/suggestions for how to let the school know how interested you are.

Thanx guys! Do any of you know of any upcoming events on campus? Plus, I still haven't actually recieved a letter/email from OSUCOM telling me to go ahead and fill out the supplemental app, but I knew that you could fill it out whenever, so I pulled it off the website, filled it out, sent it and my LORs. I hope they don't care........

ScootDoc said:

Here is my #'s

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer

I think you are a pretty good canidate. I hope you get into OSUCOM :luck: :luck: :luck:

CatsandCradles said:
I think you are a pretty good canidate. I hope you get into OSUCOM :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks Cats!!!!!!! :D

ScootDoc said:
Thanks Cats!!!!!!! :D

Is anybody else lovin on OSUCOM?

It just really like they have their act together. Well established. Those of you who are there. I have heard a lot of good things about TRMC and affiliated hospitals. Can you expand on that a little? how about clinicals, etc? Do they pull alot of their postgrads (residents) from in house? from outside? a mix?

ScootDoc said:

Here is my #'s

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer

..umm so let me know WHEN you get in lol

ScootDoc said:

It just really like they have their act together. Well established. Those of you who are there. I have heard a lot of good things about TRMC and affiliated hospitals. Can you expand on that a little? how about clinicals, etc? Do they pull alot of their postgrads (residents) from in house? from outside? a mix?

Your core clinical rotations are done at TRMC (soon to be renamed OSU Medical Center) or in Oklahoma City (only if you request OKC, though). Both are strong institutions.

As far as residencies go, we place people all over the place. My class had people match in ortho, anesth, rads, ENT, plus all of the "standard" kinds of specialties. We had people match all over the country in both MD and DO residencies. Our most notable ones this year are probably the anesth guys at Johns Hopkins and Vandy, but we had a lot of other good matches, too. About 2/3 of the new interns at TRMC are from OSU.

EDIT: My bad, OU and OSU looked similar to me; like that attention to detail huh

Kriyaban said:
I got rejected from OSU pre-secondary. I have a 3.47 overall, a 3.56 overall science, and a 31 MCAT. Apparently, they don't like non-trads with almost no ECs.

I thought they let all applicants fill out a secondary app. Is that not true? IT says so on their website.

ScootDoc said:

I grew up in Okla. City but have lived out of state for a long time. I've already visited OSUCOM once this summer, just to see the place and meet the admissions rep (who is very nice). I am going to visit them again in early Sept. after classes have started, to see it in action and, I hope, meet with an OMM professor. My MCAT is over 30 but my grades are 3.0 so I may or may not make the cut. But, like you, I'm really interested in OSUCOM. You know it's got to be a friendly school when the person at the security desk is super nice.

And yes, the secondary application is available; you don't even have to wait for AACOMAS. It's also free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called OSUCOM and they verified having received all my supplimental materials. Does anyone know when they usually begin inviting students for interviews? And, do they interview OK residents first since they give priority to residents, or will they interview first come first serve? Any enlightenment would be much appreciated. thanx

ScootDoc said:
I called OSUCOM and they verified having received all my supplimental materials. Does anyone know when they usually begin inviting students for interviews? And, do they interview OK residents first since they give priority to residents, or will they interview first come first serve? Any enlightenment would be much appreciated. thanx

Interviews begin in late October or early November.

They interview first come, first serve, with no priority to resident status. (I was interviewed in the first week and am a Texas resident.)

I would suggest visiting the school for a tour and meeting all of the student affairs/admissions office staff prior to the time for interviewing to put a face with a name. They keep a record of these visits, which could be to your benefit.

ScootDoc said:

They usually do the first interview invites in Sept (mid to late). Interviews usually begin in late Oct or early Nov. They aren't exactly first-come, first-serve, but they do interview out-of-staters even on the first interview dates.

OSUdoc08 said:
Interviews begin in late October or early November.

They interview first come, first serve, with no priority to resident status. (I was interviewed in the first week and am a Texas resident.)

I would suggest visiting the school for a tour and meeting all of the student affairs/admissions office staff prior to the time for interviewing to put a face with a name. They keep a record of these visits, which could be to your benefit.

OSUdoc08 Have you enjoyed OSUCOM. What is the most positive thing you can say about attending OSU and what is the most negative experience or inconvenience you've had (if you have)

DRMOM feel free to respond to the same question.

OSUCOM will provide you with an excellent education. We have great clinicals and also do well on boards. All of the negatives are the same kinds of frustrationss that you'll find at any school.

ScootDoc said:
OSUdoc08 Have you enjoyed OSUCOM. What is the most positive thing you can say about attending OSU and what is the most negative experience or inconvenience you've had (if you have)

Yes, I'm glad that I came here. The most positive thing is the sense of community and how accessible everyone from the security guard to the dean of the school is. You can walk into the director of the financial aid department's office and take care of issues in person. This is a far cry from being on hold for 45 minutes at a university financial aid office to be told to call back at another time. All of the professors know your name, and the class really is supportive of each other.

One of the inconveniences is related to the above. Because it is a small tight-nit community, you are constantly under a microscope. You can't do anything controversial or that would seen "inappropriate." Everyone will know about everything the following day, and you will have to explain yourself often.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes, I'm glad that I came here. The most positive thing is the sense of community and how accessible everyone from the security guard to the dean of the school is. You can walk into the director of the financial aid department's office and take care of issues in person. This is a far cry from being on hold for 45 minutes at a university financial aid office to be told to call back at another time. All of the professors know your name, and the class really is supportive of each other.

One of the inconveniences is related to the above. Because it is a small tight-nit community, you are constantly under a microscope. You can't do anything controversial or that would seen "inappropriate." Everyone will know about everything the following day, and you will have to explain yourself often.

NICE! I know I'm a non-res. so it may be a little more difficult for me to get the acceptance, but from what I have gotetn from the website and from all the students, if I was given an acceptance today.....there would be no question! Show me where to sign!!!!!

ScootDoc said:
NICE! I know I'm a non-res. so it may be a little more difficult for me to get the acceptance, but from what I have gotetn from the website and from all the students, if I was given an acceptance today.....there would be no question! Show me where to sign!!!!!

Be prepared to convince them that you love Oklahoma and want to practice there, whether it is true or not.

OSUCOM Rocks. It got me this residency, this awesome body (thanks Amish Kitchen!) and most of the scrubs in my current collection. LOL

How goes the baby snatching DrMOM, had that and neonatalogy last month - painful.

Vandy, JH, where is My Washington U mention? - I never feel the love. :p

What exactly did OSUDOC do to get banned? - I can only imagine.

Best Wishes from the home of Pujols

The Mish

Dr.MISHKA said:
Vandy, JH, where is My Washington U mention? - I never feel the love. :p

I agree. WashU >>>>>>>>>>> JHU and Vandy :cool:

and not to nitpick, but it's "The Great Pujols"

DrMom said:
OSUCOM will provide you with an excellent education. We have great clinicals and also do well on boards. All of the negatives are the same kinds of frustrationss that you'll find at any school.

as the eldest active OSU grad on the board, this is true. :thumbup:

the place is a little inbred IMO (in regards to faculty and residencies) but that's not uncommon for medical schools. they also don't have mandatory attendance (or at least didn't for us) which makes "customizing your education" :cool: easy to do. goljan has an inflated ego, but gives you a nice foundation to work with. you really get out of it what you put into it (better electives = better education), and in some fields you may be a bit hamstrung if you only take the COMLEX. if i had to do it all over again, i'd go there again.

--your friendly neighborhood wishes OSU'd spend $$ on real research instead of margellos research :rolleyes: caveman

DireWolf said:
I agree. WashU >>>>>>>>>>> JHU and Vandy :cool:

and not to nitpick, but it's "The Great Pujols"

actually it's the "Great and Mighty" Pujols.

--your friendly neighborhood can smell izzy stinking all the way on the east coast caveman

What exactly did OSUDOC do to get banned? - I can only imagine.

Best Wishes from the home of Pujols

The Mish

It would be my assumption that he was banned because the moderators didn't appreciate his sense of humor.

It would be my assumption that he was banned because the moderators didn't appreciate his sense of humor.

OSUdoc08 had been warned multiple times for various TOS violations. He continued on with them, so he was banned.

As a reminder, it is a violation to re-register after you've been banned.

Dr. MOM, (or anybody else)

What is a TOS violation?

TOS = Terms of service

It's basically the rules that allow you to post. Like no posting the same thread in multiple areas or being rude to other members... etc..

TOS = Terms of service

It's basically the rules that allow you to post. Like no posting the same thread in multiple areas or being rude to other members... etc..

OSUdoc08 had been warned multiple times for various TOS violations. He continued on with them, so he was banned.

As a reminder, it is a violation to re-register after you've been banned.

Hmm. He was a bit provocative at times but also posted some informative stuff.

The real question in my mind is, how did you manage to post over 29,000 comments? And have time to study??

I guess if I posted instead of playing solitaire and watching Blade Runner and Spiderman over and over on my computer late at night, I'd be up there too. ;)

So, anybody heard anything from OSUCOM? If not, does anybody know when they begin to offer interviews? I've heard NOV, but I just want to verify with those who have been through it.

They usually give the first interview invites in late Sept or in Oct. First interviews are usually in late Oct or in Nov. I believe that for the past couple of years things have been at the later ends of those time frames rather than the earlier.