OT as second career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTwonnabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you out there get into OT as a second career? How old were you and what was your family situation? How much did you pay for your MOT program?

I am 36 and considering OT. I have 2 young kids. I need to here some encouragement since I am not sure if I can survive grad school with 3 young kids and full-time work.

I have considered OT for a long time, but my company is doing major lay-offs and I don't know if I will still have a job in a few months. I have a masters in Nutrition. I have considered doing a 9 month full-time internship to become a registered Dietitian but the startin pay is like mid 30s. I am figuring out I would be better off financialy sacrificing two years in an OT program since my starting pay would be int he mid 40s (similar to what I am making currently).

Members don't see this ad.

hi
There are many people who are in your situation now, many people did OT as a second career. I have to say it would be a bit difficult for you since your working full time but its been done before. I would sacrifice 2 years of OT school for more the increase in pay and stable job. In addition some schools offer a part time option for attendance. So I would say go for it, OT will be in very high demand in the coming years. I would suggest to look at the situation from all angles then if it works out give it your all. Wish you the very best of luck

I have to agree with caduceus. It's going to be an adjustment going from working full time to living on student loans, but I for one hope you decide to do it. OT is such a rewarding profession, and stable as well. I was in the same shoes as you and it took me quite some time to make the leap. I'm glad i did, it's worth every minute of it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with caduceus. It's going to be an adjustment going from working full time to living on student loans, but I for one hope you decide to do it. OT is such a rewarding profession, and stable as well. I was in the same shoes as you and it took me quite some time to make the leap. I'm glad i did, it's worth every minute of it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Does an $80,000 student loan for a 1 1/2 year program make sense or is it unreasonable to take out such a loan at 36 yrs of age? The only colleges in my town are both private--Washington University and St. Louis University and they both cost the same. Relocating is not an option due to family and at least my spouse had as stable job that could support us for the 1 1/2 years. I want to make sure I am not doign something stupid by incurring such a huge student loan.

hi
Honestly I dont recommend you taking out a loan that big,because it would be a burden and a pain to pay after. The tuition for the schools you mentioned are sky high. So I would try to attend a state school that has an OT program and would be something to keep away huge loans. I didnt need to take out a loan because I can pay my tuition because I can afford it, and when I graduate whatever money I make is mine.

Your going to have varying opinions on this, but OT is soo rewarding I'd say go for it. Since your wife can take care of the family for 1.5 years, why not do it. Once you're working, continue to live on only your wife's income and pay off the student loans over 2 years. It's easier said then done, but if you make a game plan, you can do it.

Good luck once again!