Other OT-Related Information OT Book Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spup

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am getting incredibly antsy waiting for word from schools and I thought maybe reading an OT related book would be a more productive outlet (rather than the obsessive email checking I am currently doing).
I found some promising ones online but figured I would see if anybody here has any recommendations. No idea if this will be fruitful but thought I would try!

This is what I have found so far, has anyone read any of these? Fourteen Books OT Peeps Will Love: Add These Fiction & Nonfiction Titles to Your Summer Reading List

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,
I am getting incredibly antsy waiting for word from schools and I thought maybe reading an OT related book would be a more productive outlet (rather than the obsessive email checking I am currently doing).
I found some promising ones online but figured I would see if anybody here has any recommendations. No idea if this will be fruitful but thought I would try!

This is what I have found so far, has anyone read any of these? Fourteen Books OT Peeps Will Love: Add These Fiction & Nonfiction Titles to Your Summer Reading List

Hello!

I just finished reading Being Mortal from the book list you posted, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely changed my perspective on aging/dying and what makes life at the end meaningful.

I read another book a while ago called the Out of Synch Child by Carol Kranowitz, and that book describes different sensory processing disorders and how to recognize them in kids.

Both were very quick, easy to understand and interesting reads!

Great book list! Atul Gawande FTW

With the possibility of failing entry 2019/20, I've been asking OTs I shadow what their most difficult course was during their curriculum. Most state Gross Anatomy so I have visual anatomy books on queue to study. As far as reading, free access OT journals entries are enlightening and are filled with relevant information.

I'm currently leaning towards the geriatric field, and I have a burgeoning interest in compassion and hospice care. I found a list of books on end of life topics (with a Buddhist slant): Books and Printed Matter

Currently reading,
The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully - Amazon product
The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation - Amazon product

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

This is a great question and thanks for posting that link also! I've been thinking about doing the very same thing but been having trouble finding related books.
Good luck to you! :)

The Medicine and Society group in college I participated in had to read Being Mortal- such a good read!!
I've had a growing interest with OT-related books!

Left Neglected and Still Alice by Lisa Genova are great and easy fictional reads.
I'm currently reading The Brain that Changes Itself written by Norman Doidge M.D. and he writes on the growing field of neuroplasticity. It's incredible. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently reading Ghost Boy. It's about a boy who got sick and due to the severity of whatever he had became paralyzed and lost his voice. For years everyone thought he wasn't really "with them" mentally. Finally his world was opened up as he began to be given communication and people recognized how much he really had been "in the world". I really like it as it shows how important communication is for others to have their independence (even if they are still dependent on others).

Reactions: 1 user