OT: Car payments and vet school

Started by gsi924
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gsi924

WesternU 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i currently don't have a car and would really like to get one where ever i go, I don't think i can save enough money to buy a decent used car in full, so how do you deal with car payments? sep. loan? would be better to lease versus buy since i will be in one spot potentially for four years??? thanks!
 
i currently don't have a car and would really like to get one where ever i go, I don't think i can save enough money to buy a decent used car in full, so how do you deal with car payments? sep. loan? would be better to lease versus buy since i will be in one spot potentially for four years??? thanks!

Honestly my answer is if you can't afford to buy a used car then don't get a used car..

But since you asked...
1) Unless you are leasing certified used cars from a dealer, not really any chance to lease. If you are looking at certified used cars, then you probably are looking at an expensive car and don't need this advice so that leaves loans.
2) Do you have a great credit history? If not, then don't plan on getting a decent car or a decent rate. Do you even have a job? In this credit environment it is extremely difficult to get loans without a reliable source of income. If you have student loans that isn't going to help.

Fyi: I got turned down for a loan I had the cash on hand for with a credit score of around 800 because I had no source of income.

That really leaves dodgy companies with generally lousy rates. If you are careful you may find a local dealer who can get you into a car at decent rate but maybe not. Either way you will end up paying a lot more than car will be worth ultimately.

Don't forget, you are going to need insurance (CA rates suck), gas, and emergency fund for the inevitable auto repairs (like my 2 flat tires this week), and maybe parking.

My advice if you are deadset on a car, get a junker from a friend. Pay little and drive it till it breaks down and then abandon it.
 
I agree with Startingovervet. I have a car that I bought for $200 and it has lasted me 4 years+! It's not pretty, there's no radio, but it gets me where I'm going.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you can manage without a car in Davis right now and you're planning on staying in Davis for vet school, don't get a car. There's no way you can afford to pay a car loan by using your school loans.

I recommend living near campus and investing in a bike or public transportation.
 
Check places like Craigslist, etc for people who might be desperate to get rid of their car. You might be able to get something that would be good enough to get you through Vet School without breaking the bank/requiring you to get a loan.