Program-Specific Info / Q's OT Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTkatie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ANY advice regarding interviews for OT programs. So far I've heard back from 3 of the schools I applied to, and I was invited to interview at each (Tennessee State University, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and Milligan College).

I would love to know some questions you all were asked in your interviews- no matter the school. Or if you are in the same boat as me, how are you preparing yourself for your interviews?? What questions do you think we'll encounter?

Please message me if you would rather do that than comment on this thread!! I'm open to ANYTHING y'all think will help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Firstly, GOOD LUCK!! I'm a first year OT student, so I was just in your shoes a year ago. It is SO stressful, but you will get though it! Soon enough you will be an OTS (occupational therapy student), studying your brains out! So enjoy the down time now before things get super stressful.

I interviewed at two schools. In one school I was interviewed by an alumni, and the other by an OT faculty member. Both asked similar questions, here are some I remember:

-What do you think OT is?
-Why OT?
-What do you have to offer that is unique?
-What stood out in your volunteer experience?
-Where did you volunteer?
-How do you think you will manage the heavy/demanding workload?
-What area do you see yourself going into?
This was an interesting question I got: How would you react if someone was looking at your paper during an exam?

That's pretty much all I remember for now. I hope it helps!
Also, ask them questions! Show your interest in their program! Schools don't really ask anything insane. They just want to get an idea of who your are- just be yourself and breath! GL!

Reactions: 1 user
@Chochie Thank you for the response! It was exactly what I was looking for. Your examples of possible questions gives me a good place to begin preparing for my own interview. If you think of any more be sure and shoot them my way!

I do want to ask you for possible ideas on general questions to ask THEM? I've heard this advice before and I plan to follow it- however I feel like any question I come up with, I already know the answer to thru my research. And if I don't I always seem to be able to find the answer easily online. Help!

Also where did you interview, and which school did you choose to go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
@Chochie Thank you for the response! It was exactly what I was looking for. Your examples of possible questions gives me a good place to begin preparing for my own interview. If you think of any more be sure and shoot them my way!

I do want to ask you for possible ideas on general questions to ask THEM? I've heard this advice before and I plan to follow it- however I feel like any question I come up with, I already know the answer to thru my research. And if I don't I always seem to be able to find the answer easily online. Help!

Just remembered another possible interview question!
-Why specifically do you want to attend this program? (tell them why their program stands out from other OT schools and why what they have to offer is important to you)

During my interview I didn't ask a lot of questions, I think only two:
-What is the class size? (this was very important to me because I really wanted to attend a smaller program)
-What is the schedule like throughout the program?

Something that may be good to ask, now that I started to school, would also be what each year of the program concentrates on. I attend a three year program and each year focuses on a different part of OT. First year is mental health, second year is phys dis (physical disabilities), and third year is specialty. Every program is structured slightly differently so that would be something great to ask too!

I interviewed at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, and Touro College. I'm currently in Touro and I love it!

I asked about the mentorship opportunities with faculty and fellow students that are available at their school. I asked what the school was doing to further create awareness on the various roles of OTs to others who are not so familiar with the field (i.e. not just being all about ADLs). Since I'm a guy, I asked why they believed that there were comparatively fewer males applying to this field considering it's stability, higher pay and personal satisfaction level. I also asked what they were doing to educate OTs on the changes in healthcare policy which will directly affect their role as well as the types of patients that they will be able to see (and bill for).

I interviewed and was accepted at Midwestern IL. Hope that helps!