General Admissions & OTCAS OT Pre-Requisites; Help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OTCrazyCassie

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all wise Pre-OT members,

I have been struggling to figure out what classes I should be taking since I have finished all pre-requisites courses for OT programs that I will be applying to. However, I do wish to raise my GPA as well as some of my pre-reqs. I have a few questions regarding the courses I want to take

1. Should I retake B-'s?? I received a couple B- in Sociology C+ in Anthropology😳 and B- Physiology at my University. I know that schools requiring Socio and Anthro classes are one or the other, should i retake BOTH? Or just one? and which one? (I hate anthro and would prefer to take Socio but would it be better to re-take my lower grade?)

2. If I do retake them, would it be okay to retake at community college? I honestly do not know how grad schools feel about community college classes, and I really would love some advice about your experience with taking community college post-bacc and how OT programs viewed them

OK thank you everyone! I've been so stressed out I think I'm going to pass out with anxiety..:clown:
 
I would re-take the B-'s, especially if you think you can get a higher grade. A better prerequisite GPA will only reflect positively on your application! If you are applying to schools that want Sociology OR Anthropology, I would retake the one that you think you can get an A in. Yes, you have a lower grade in Anthro but if you feel like you wouldn't get an A in Anthro but you could in Socio, I'd take Socio. The higher the grade, the better.

I retook two courses over the summer at my local community college and have not gotten any negative feedback regarding that yet (and I've spoken to quite a few people at various schools). I'm sure there may be some schools out there that care but in my experience, I have yet to come across one yet (unless they're lying to me, which I really hope isn't the case!). 🙂
 
Grad schools are usually fine with community college courses for prereqs, since a lot of people applying to OT schools come from programs where they did not take some, or any of the required courses. A lot of folks in my program, myself included were career-changers, and did our prereqs at a CC.
 
Hello all wise Pre-OT members,

I have been struggling to figure out what classes I should be taking since I have finished all pre-requisites courses for OT programs that I will be applying to. However, I do wish to raise my GPA as well as some of my pre-reqs. I have a few questions regarding the courses I want to take

1. Should I retake B-'s?? I received a couple B- in Sociology C+ in Anthropology😳 and B- Physiology at my University. I know that schools requiring Socio and Anthro classes are one or the other, should i retake BOTH? Or just one? and which one? (I hate anthro and would prefer to take Socio but would it be better to re-take my lower grade?)

2. If I do retake them, would it be okay to retake at community college? I honestly do not know how grad schools feel about community college classes, and I really would love some advice about your experience with taking community college post-bacc and how OT programs viewed them

OK thank you everyone! I've been so stressed out I think I'm going to pass out with anxiety..:clown:

I took most of my pre req at a community college and I got into a state school this year. And it was the most competitive cycle.