OT Programs in the Northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonMom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know others' opinions on the various colleges that offer OT programs, particularly in the Northeast. Eg: Gannon, UB, D'Youville, Quinnipiac, Scranton, Stony Brook. Also, I would like to know opinions on US News' rankings of OT schools, which is 100% based on reputation. ("All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline.") Gannon is so low on the US News list it isn't even ranked, yet they have pretty much the same certification pass rate as the others on my short list. Also, I am interested in hearing opinions on the importance of using cadavers to learn anatomy, vs an OT school (such as Gannon) which has a good pass rate, but no cadaver lab.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know others' opinions on the various colleges that offer OT programs, particularly in the Northeast. Eg: Gannon, UB, D'Youville, Quinnipiac, Scranton, Stony Brook. Also, I would like to know opinions on US News' rankings of OT schools, which is 100% based on reputation. ("All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline.") Gannon is so low on the US News list it isn't even ranked, yet they have pretty much the same certification pass rate as the others on my short list. Also, I am interested in hearing opinions on the importance of using cadavers to learn anatomy, vs an OT school (such as Gannon) which has a good pass rate, but no cadaver lab.

Hi
I dont know much about the schools you listed but I can give any feedback y about schools in the New York City Metro area. More Particularly,SUNY Downstate and CUNY York. They are both very good and affordable programs, though the rank on the US and World news report does not reflect that. With these rankings generally they are based on surveys they ask students and not the quality of the program. The AOTA generally makes the curriculum for all schools, some schools tweek the curriculum according to the institutions goals and the philosophy of the program. for example NYU is more geared toward the psychosocial aspect of OT thus you receive an MA when you complete the program, SUNY Downstate and Columbia are Medical schools so there programs are more clinical thus receiving an MS upon completion.
In terms of Anatomy, I dont think there is a difference between the cadaver and the so called functional anatomy( no cadaver lab). In my personal opinion I think cadaver anatomy is better since you get to see the anatomy in better perspective. I hope that helps.

I believe the University of New Hampshire also has an OT program. Check them out. I believe it's a pretty competitive program.