OT & PT Advice :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltwins93

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 years old and I have 3 children (5, 3, 1). I worked as a medical transcriptionist for 2 years, and my husband is a PA in the army. I am interested in the OT/PT fields. I have researched these for months....did anyone have difficulty choosing between these professions? I am interested in working in geriatrics in the end, but I'm not sure which field will be a better fit for me. I will have a BA in psych soon with a GPA around 3.7. I am limited to certain schools due to the limitations of the army.

There is a school near my home (Belmont U), but this is an OTD program and will cost about $75+ when it's all said and done. Since OT is a fairly new profession, is OTD a route that should not even be considered? What do PT's think about the OT profession? My family does not depend on my income, so school cost is not as important, although I do not want to waste money!

As for PT, these schools seem VERY difficult to get in to. I don't neccessarily enjoy physics, etc. I understand that any master's degree program will be difficult with small children, but I'm determined to make it!! Any advice or other ~respectable~:D professions working with the elderly?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't really go wrong with either profession when working with the elderly. OT and PT are very different though, so it is more a question of what appeals to your strengths and likes. The OTD seems to be the future of OT, so it might not be a bad idea to get it, it is only an extra year of school and really isn't too difficult. Getting your DPT is in my opinion, much harder. I would suggest researching the differences between OT and PT and figure out which one fits you better and then go for it! Good luck on your decision!

It-

Hi, and welcome.

I'm an OT (albeit just an OT; no OTD here). Paris gives good advice - I think that it's important to find out what the real differences in the professions are. There is a very real difference in what you'll do in practice, and I've seen a couple of wanna-be-PTs in OT, and that makes for a malcontented therapist. You don't HAVE to get an OTD - a Masters will serve you just fine, and I'll let you browse the rest of this forum to see peoples' opinions on the pros and cons of a doctorate in PT or OT. (n.b: if you were to choose PT, me thinks you pretty much have to get a DPT now).

Your GPA and degree will be assets to you as you look to apply.

I'm intrigued to see your interest in what PT's think of OT's; I'm not sure there's too much glory in either profession, but if there is, OTs get less of it. If I had a buck for everytime I heard "OT? I already have a job" or "OT again? I already had PT today", I'd be a rich man. You'll be doing a lot of explaining of what the hell it is that you do if you choose OT (or at least I did).

Either way, best of luck!

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your informative responses. I think that my personality fits well with the occupational therapy profession. I will research more on the doctorate (I will not have to move if I choose (and get accepted! into this program). I do realize that this profession doesn't receive much praise, and I respect all PT's and OT's for their patient dedication in such demanding careers. I'm excited to make a difference in my patient's lives and can't wait to get started!

Thanks again,
Lisa

you sound like you will make a great OT (or PT) :) good luck with your studies.. and by the way, TSU in nashville also has an OT program and it's much cheaper than belmont's. good luck!

Hi, Lisa!

I was browsing the web and saw your post. I, too, am worried about the cost of Belmont. I have been looking at the OTD program for the past two years. I have thought about it a lot, and I have decided to go ahead and apply for the Fall 2009 class. I guess it doesn't hurt to at least see if I get in! If you'd like to talk more, feel free to message me. We might be future classmates!

WannaBeAnOT :p