OT school or Medical school direct?

Started by undecide
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

undecide

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I am from Singapore and i finished my A levels 2 years back, currently serving my National Service term. Am contemplating between the two as stated above. My end goal is really to take Medicine but i need some advise here as i have a scholarship offer (which covers monthly allowance and tuition fees) for OT BUT i'll be bonded for 4 years and after which i could take up medicine. (I'll graduate with a bachelor's degree, entry level practice in Singapore is a Diploma) OR i could reject the scholarship, go straight into an overseas medical college and incur a huge debt with me.
 
I completed my MOT and I am currently practicing. If you want medicine, then go for that. I'm also interested in trying to get into med school but I'm going to work, gain some clinical experience and try again. It wouldn't your chances, assuming the rest of your application meets the requirements. It also depends on where you want to attend med school. More information would be helpful.
 
Think i would meet the entry requirements for med school. Eh... intending to attend the International Medical University (which twins to 26 other universities for students to complete their clinical studies) for my pre-clinical studies (2.5years) then hope to go to Dalhousie (2.25years) to complete my clinical component. Since i'll have quite some time in between, will probably try taking USMLE. Well that is if i decide to go medicine direct.

I believe the OT route would be much much longer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you haven't started OT school, then go for medical school if that is your goal. I did it because I was interested and now making a little money and gaining some experience in the hospital setting. Are you applying to Dalhousie for 2008?