OT: Toronto vs Montreal???

Started by Emiloo4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Emiloo4

UF CVM 2016
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So the BF wants to take me on a trip to Canada before I leave for school and he told me to pick between Toronto and Montreal and I would like everyone's opinions on where I should choose. I have no clue 😕 I know there are lots of students from Canada on here so I thought you all might be able to tell me the pros and cons of each so I can decide! 😀
I hope this is ok to post on here.... 😕
Thanks 🙂
 
Not from Canada, but been to Toronto a bunch. It's fun, but I've always wanted to go to Montreal. So much history, gorgeous, and the tulip festival is in May and it is supposed to be phenomenal. We may go there this summer...

So, 1 vote for Montreal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do you speak a lot of french?

Took a wee bit in high school but not enough to get me around Montreal so I've heard. I know Toronto doesn't require as much knowledge of the language. I am very much so into the arts, so that's why he suggested Montreal, but I just honestly don't know much about either place.

JMJ, we are thinking about going in May actually, maybe we'll see ya 😉
 
C'mon, you can get by perfectly well without knowing a lick, I'm sure.

I don't know - MAYBE in Montreal it'd be okay but most of Quebec is VERY francophone so you'd probably want to at least have a grasp on basics. Judging by your username you wouldn't have a problem. :laugh:

I went to Quebec City senior year in high school without knowing any French (only time I've been to Quebec that wasn't for a hockey tournament I was playing in which were specifically catered towards US/more anglo-Canadian teams) and would have had a really tough time if I hadn't been with a person who was very comfortable with the language.
 
I don't know - MAYBE in Montreal it'd be okay but most of Quebec is VERY francophone so you'd probably want to at least have a grasp on basics. Judging by your username you wouldn't have a problem. :laugh:

I went to Quebec City senior year in high school without knowing any French (only time I've been to Quebec that wasn't for a hockey tournament I was playing in which were specifically catered towards US/more anglo-Canadian teams) and would have had a really tough time if I hadn't been with a person who was very comfortable with the language.

I'm with you on Quebec. But I do think Emi would be able to get by with just English in Montreal. That goes for a lot of big, foreign cities. I think it adds to to the charm to go somewhere a little more "foreign" to you. Emi, you still have my vote for French town. If you really want, I can teach you some basics, but I don't think you'd need 'em.
 
I don't know - MAYBE in Montreal it'd be okay but most of Quebec is VERY francophone so you'd probably want to at least have a grasp on basics. Judging by your username you wouldn't have a problem. :laugh:

I went to Quebec City senior year in high school without knowing any French (only time I've been to Quebec that wasn't for a hockey tournament I was playing in which were specifically catered towards US/more anglo-Canadian teams) and would have had a really tough time if I hadn't been with a person who was very comfortable with the language.

I have my iPhone translator 🙄 😉
 
I'm with you on Quebec. But I do think Emi would be able to get by with just English in Montreal. That goes for a lot of big, foreign cities. I think it adds to to the charm to go somewhere a little more "foreign" to you. Emi, you still have my vote for French town. If you really want, I can teach you some basics, but I don't think you'd need 'em.

Ok, so

Montreal - 1

😀
 
Well you ought to be considering what you'll want to be doing there, and then see what each city offers..

Been to both multiple times, Montreal wins hands down. You don't need any french at all to get by.

But it depends on your purpose for the visit and your recreational activity preferences..
 
Toronto!!! Super fun city! We stayed there for a day/night when I interviewed at Guelph and it was a lot of fun! Great food too, good shopping :laugh: and shows if you're into that 🙂

Never been to Montreal though
 
Well you ought to be considering what you'll want to be doing there, and then see what each city offers..

Been to both multiple times, Montreal wins hands down. You don't need any french at all to get by.

But it depends on your purpose for the visit and your recreational activity preferences..

We're just going to go, so that's why I was trying to get an understanding of what each city offers so I can pick the one that sound best for me. I am doing research online as well, just thought that since many people on here are from the area or have visited, they might be able to tell me what each city has to offer a visitor! 😀
 
Montreal all the way. Toronto is ok but Montreal is a million times better. If you are just staying in Montreal you don't need to know French. Have a fun trip!
 
I was in Montreal 3 years ago and don't remember French being a problem, but I'm also completely comfortable with French, so it just may not have registered how much I was using French vs. English. I do remember at one restaurant they had a French and an English version of the menu, which we found out when they brought our table copies of each language menu.

We did a lot of food things in Montreal, visiting markets and such and other more out-of-the-way places and I thought the city was very nice. Have never been to Toronto, though so can't compare.

(FWIW, when I was in Quebec City 15 yrs ago with family, when my mother would try to speak french with locals, they would all answer her horribly-accented French with English).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speaking as a Torontonian...definitely Montreal!!

Montreal >>> Toronto, there's so much more to do there. Also you can get by fine with just English, there are a lot of English-only speakers there anyway (mostly McGill University students).
 
Speaking as a Torontonian...definitely Montreal!!

Montreal >>> Toronto, there's so much more to do there. Also you can get by just fine with just English, there are a lot of English-only speakers there anyway (mostly McGill University students).

We are also going to NYC in June and I feel like Toronto is probably more similar to NYC than Montreal is, so I don't want to go to Toronto, if it's like the NYC of Canada.... I could be wrong though... just what I've read. 😕
 
We are also going to NYC in June and I feel like Toronto is probably more similar to NYC than Montreal is, so I don't want to go to Toronto, if it's like the NYC of Canada.... I could be wrong though... just what I've read. 😕

Yeah I would agree with that, Toronto is the biggest city in Canada so it's got a very "big city" feel to it. Toronto does have some nice touristy things to do/see. In the summer especially, there are a lot of festivals like Taste of the Danforth and the fair is open (Canadian National Exhibition). Montreal is a smaller city and has a more vibrant/European feel to it (particular Old Montreal). It also has a way better nightlife if you're planning on hitting up bars/clubs.
 
Btw I've been to Quebec (LOVE IT THERE!) with my mom and her business associates at the time. I knew a LITTLE french (not enough to really get by on) and of course no one else did. I only encountered one dude who we couldn't communicate with, but the people there are super nice and are willing to work with you.

France is a whole 'nuther story. I love France, but for people to be nice you had to act less like an American and REALLY try at their language, and then they smirk at you and reply in perfect English.

I like quebec's people a lot more. Make sure if you are ever over there, say "ke-bec", not qui-bec
 
Awesome! Thanks so much everyone! I am definitely leaning toward Montreal for now, but there is still room to change my mind if anyone has more input! 😀
 
What makes Montreal better?

Basically everything Social Stigma said. I find Montreal has a better atmosphere, lots of things to see and do, and a better nightlife.

I also find the people to be more fun (no offence Torontonians).
 
THEY BOTH SUCK!! GO SENS GO!!!!!

IF you have to choose between Leafs and Habs... go les habs... F*CK TORONTO!!!!! GO SENS GO! GO SENS GO!!!!!!!


("Les Habs" is what we also refer to as Montreal Canadians... Its french for Les Habitants which means like... Canadians or people who live here lol... shortened to Les Habs ---> "Lay Abs" not Lez HAAAbs. )


ETA
The Canadian in me just came out and I seriously thought this whole thing was about hockey (sorry nyanko- I don't even watch hockey). Then I realized that by you referring to "Toronto" and "Montreal" you actually meant which one you should go to... and I swear... SWEAR i read something about hockey in your OP Emiloo.... :/ .... ??
 
Last edited:
Took a wee bit in high school but not enough to get me around Montreal so I've heard. I know Toronto doesn't require as much knowledge of the language. I am very much so into the arts, so that's why he suggested Montreal, but I just honestly don't know much about either place.

JMJ, we are thinking about going in May actually, maybe we'll see ya 😉

Montreal is like THE most english speaking french city- full of very cool people and places 😀 If you can't speak French- Montreal is noooo trouble.

Toronto is a pretty snobby place (speaking as a rival Ottawa-an) and Montreal was pretty cool- I've only really been there for big concerts but I got backstage passes for My Chemical Romance by talking up one of the roadies lol.

GO SENS GO!
 
Last edited:
ETA
The Canadian in me just came out and I seriously thought this whole thing was about hockey (sorry nyanko- I don't even watch hockey). Then I realized that by you referring to "Toronto" and "Montreal" you actually meant which one you should go to... and I swear... SWEAR i read something about hockey in your OP Emiloo.... :/ .... ??

:laugh::laugh: I was dying laughing at your Hockey rant lol. And no, I said nothing about hockey in my OP. Fiery *ss Canadians! 😉

Maybe I'll try to catch a match while I'm up there.... the Syracuse Crunch just don't really cut it around here 🙄