OT: Wearing a Mask Is Improving My Skin!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, it's incredible! Everyone else I talk to says the opposite, they are getting acne and allergic bumps and whatnot.

But since wearing a mask all the time (and since it's required in IL when out in public, I am wearing a mask all the time outside my house,) my skin has cleared up, no fine wrinkles, no acne, no allergic bumps, my skin tone is much more even (instead of blotchy,) I even have what I think is a healthy glow, my skin has never looked this good!

I'm going to keep wearing a mask even when this over! Although, I suppose that kind of defeats the purpose of having beautiful skin, if no one ever sees it.

I'm not sure why a mask would do this. Maybe my skin is sensitive to fluorescent lights (although I think it's LED lights at work? I'm not sure how to tell the difference.) Maybe I'm sensitive to alcohol and cleaning fluids in the air? Maybe it's just a complete coincidence? I have completely quit wearing make-up since starting to wear a mask, but I wore minimal make-up before that, and not everyday, so I don't think that is it.

What is everyone else's mask experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Might want to buy a pregnancy test...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Might want to buy a pregnancy test...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Fair suggestion, but extremely unlikely given my age....still I haven't been through menopause. But I've been through many pregnancies, the acne during them was horrible. It got worse with each prengancy. My husband even broke out just from lying next to me. So I'm pretty sure clear skin and pregnancy is impossible with me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wearing a mask is hurting my ears

Wearing a mask is allowing me to avoid the social stigma and awkwardness in attempting to grow a beard....got to do something for excitement/interest with gyms still closed. It's a good counter to not being able to get a haircut/feeling like I'm slowly turning into a woman ("not that there's anything wrong with that" - Seinfeld)

Eh wearing a mask...main difference, feeling warmth and moisture from breath occasionally (kind of nasty). I've always been a nose breather anyways

I found some with adjustable straps.

I work from home so I have not had to wear a mask at all really. The only time I have work one is when I go to Costco. I have noticed about 10% are wearing masks now in the general public.

I dunno - I just really have not had to wear it much, but when I do it drives me freaking nuts.

This may sound weird but the biggest reason I do not like wearing a mask is that it removes the element of non-verbal communication. It makes everyone seem pissed. For example, if I move in front of someone with my cart at a grocery store, I will typically smile and apologize and let them go first. This typically always elicits the same type of response. Now I can’t get this with people and it makes for an uncomfortable experience all around.

I don’t like it one bit!

Last edited:
Wearing mask protect your skin from the sun even when driving or standing close to a window (drive thru counseling). I started wearing them in the morning on the way to work without feeling weird now.

Reactions: 1 user
This may sound weird but the biggest reason I do not like wearing a mask is that it removes the element of non-verbal communication. It makes everyone seem pissed. For example, if I move in front of someone with my cart at a grocery store, I will typically smile and apologize and let them go first. This typically always elicits the same type of response. Now I can’t get this with people and it makes for an uncomfortable experience all around.

That is actually another benefit of the mask, I don't have to smile all the time and pretend I'm happy with my co-workers or anyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Nope, my skin got worse (though nothing terrible). At least no one can see it though.

OK, I don't like my mask anymore. I've started getting cold sores (I've had them in the past, but like 1 outbreak a year, now I'm getting one every other week.) I'm thinking I might try vasoline-ing my lips up really good. I hesitate out of fear that will give me acne around my lips. My other thought is to wear a cloth mask under my surgical mask, but I'm not sure how well I would breath through that. I guess I should try it on an off-day and find out. Either way, cold sores or acne or SOB, it beats COVID.