Employment & Professional Networking OTD holders - Do you go by "Dr."?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT_Ballerina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Those of you who have OTDs or are working on them, do you go by/plan to go by "Dr."?
I don't think I would go by doctor in a professional setting, because I wouldn't want it to create confusion about my role and scope of practice. However, when I complete my OTD, does that mean my official title will be "Dr. ______" when I am filling out paperwork or addressing an envelope, since I hold a doctorate?
Do any of you go by doctor in a professional setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Point of order, I would like to add to the question, as a Dr. does one's signature have to become illegible chickenscratch? ;)

I'm only pursuing MOT, but I've discussed the scenario with a few people in healthcare. The consensus depends on who you ask. With those of higher social prestige and education, from midlevels like PA to CRNA to GP and up, they tend to have a more dubious opinion since anyone with a doctorate is technically a Dr., but societally it's often understood as one who has completed 4-11 years post-bac with residency. And mid-levels, while being handsomely paid and having spent as much time to earn their title as one with a doctorate, do not inherit the title so it may sway their opinion.

On topic, on Meetup I saw the description "Dr. [removed] is a metaphysician with a PhD in philosophy, specializing in life coaching." I thought, that's really selling yourself. I had never seen the word "metaphysician" and thought it was hokey but it's legit. Similarly, if you see PTs on social media, they almost always specify "Doctor of" which speaks to clarifying the ambiguity that surrounds the differences in the professions. With the amount of student loan debt you have to incur with a doctorate, why not milk it for all it's worth in social prestige, although one should be aware in certain circles, they will posture the societal definition, or like myself in regards to the metaphysician, be more scrutinizing in evaluating the title.

Here's a somewhat related interesting scenario. In hospital settings, patients often assume males are doctors, and females are secondary workers like nurses, etc. As a Dr, you will have a white coat. If you wear your white coat, patients will not assume you are of a lesser position. However, no one in the office wears their white coats. Do you wear your white coat?