General Admissions & OTCAS OTD Prospective Student

Started by deleted1057601
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1057601

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide what career I am most interested in. I recently graduated, and I am taking a gap year to get a better perspective. I did not think about Occupational Therapy, because I thought you had to have a degree in Occupational Sciences to get into OTD programs. I have taken the GRE; my score is low, but my GPA is solid. I haven't been able to shadow because of the pandemic. My parents are worried, because they think that they field is becoming saturated. Is the field becoming saturated? How much does the GRE score weigh in application decisions?
 
This may help determine how occupational therapy is within your proximal vicinity: Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2019.
The field is getting increasingly popular but occupational therapy can play in many different roles. What do you want to do with occupational therapy? Flexibility and creativity will always permit opportunities. Figuring what you want and what you are willing to compromise will help determine if OT is for you or not. I know it can be difficult because there is a lack of shadowing opportunities at this time.
 
Last edited:
It really depends on your area on saturation, I live in the Northeast and work for a company that is always looking for OTs. But that might not be the case in every area. Regarding GPA/ GRE there are schools that don't look at GREs at all and its only a portion of what schools look for. I got into 4 schools and am currently in my first semester and I had an okay GRE score and low GPA. If it is something you want to do I would definitely look into it!