Other activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm interested in the medical profession but also interested in other unrelated fields as well like film, broadcasting, economics, etc etc, and I decide to spend my summer pursuing these activities in the form of internships/study abroad will med schools look down upon that since I'm not spending my summer doing health-related activities? I shadow/volunteer and do research during the school-year, but will doing other unrelated activities during the summer make me appear like I'm dabbling in many different activities?

Do med schools want you to have a few specific activities that you pursue deeply or is it okay to try different things every summer as well?

Members don't see this ad.

DEFINITELY pursue your interests now while you have the time. You don't need to be a pre-med machine, you're allowed to be interested in multiple things. I studied abroad for a summer and it was the best experience of my life, and med schools actually really value international experience. These other interests are what makes you unique!

If I'm interested in the medical profession but also interested in other unrelated fields as well like film, broadcasting, economics, etc etc, and I decide to spend my summer pursuing these activities in the form of internships/study abroad will med schools look down upon that since I'm not spending my summer doing health-related activities? I shadow/volunteer and do research during the school-year, but will doing other unrelated activities during the summer make me appear like I'm dabbling in many different activities?

Do med schools want you to have a few specific activities that you pursue deeply or is it okay to try different things every summer as well?

It is actually a plus in most cases! At worst, it will neither hinder nor help your application. Most Adcoms see thousands of boring applicants. Don't be that guy/girl with nothing interesting to talk about during your interview.

In case you're still worried, I dabbled in film and literature, and in my summers I worked as a swim instructor at a summer camp. During one of my interviews, my interviewer and I chatted about Blues music, English Literature, the differences of Vietnamese vs. Vietnamese American immigrant culture, and WWII history (he was a surgeon who had an MA in European History). Those things will all make you a much more fun interviewee, believe me. Do them and be an interesting person.

With respect to your second question, long-term activities that you really get into are generally preferred over many short-term activities. However, don't interpret that to mean that you shouldn't do other things - ultimately what's important is how you describe your experience in your application and especially in the interview. It will usually be pretty obvious if you took something away from an experience based on how you discuss it.