"Other pharmacies don't have a problem with this"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sine Cura

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has had any "success" stories reporting prescribers to their licensing board or DEA for improper prescribing (like running a pill mill) or even rampant procedural errors like issuing non-compliant written prescriptions.

For example, non-compliant controlled substance prescriptions seem actually pervasive all over California just based on the fact that many prescription forms are completely lacking check boxes for refills or other procedural errors like missing the security printer ID. I would say 8 out of 10 scripts are invalid based on the omission of check boxes of refills alone, based on what I've seen in AZ near the CA border as well as in northern California, but the CA BOP does not seem to care (?), at least until an anal inspector decides to **** a pharmacy and supervising PIC over during an inspection.

All I get are non-committal generic responses from board inspectors without addressing specifically the fact of omission and recommend that I report non-compliant forms to the DoJ for potential fraud, and not address the pervasiveness of non-compliant forms for otherwise "legitimate" prescriptions.

One time I had a PA get pissed off that I would not dispense a CII based on the fact that there is no supervising physician printed on the form and the PA told the patient to take it somewhere else. I thought, well, if you don't actually have a supervising physician, that is blatantly unlawful. She and various other PAs I have reported to PA board and Dept of Justice in the hope that they get ****ed with but it seems rather futile. Some pediatricians don't even get their paper from an official security printer, and I called them out on that and the office manager literally told me "other pharmacies don't have this problem. This is the first I've heard of this." Like what the ****?

This is such bull****. Why even sign an order then? Close enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've only seen doctors get reported that were true pill mills. It usually takes a solid year from the time they are reported until they get raided. As far as non-compliant but otherwise legitimate scripts I've not really seen many of them aside from the occasional doctor forgetting to sign.

I've only been practicing for less than half a year, and I've had a PA call and yell at me because I refused to fill her CII prescription that didn't have a handwritten date (required in CA). She told me she's always been writing it like this and only my pharmacy ever had a problem with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
99% of written controls in CA have the manually written date (even for ones on "institutional" forms, where it is not required) unless the prescriber is an idiot, so what is the problem with not having check boxes for refills? Working for Walmart in CA I would figure SOMEONE would have brought this up in the last ten years. Why is Walmart making a big deal about transferring never-filled controls when missing checkboxes is more obviously a black-and-white error.

If no checkboxes, why have a date manually written? Why even comply with any requirements? What's the point? Filling invalid prescriptions is clearly unlawful and can't be defended by "but everyone else does it!" but where is the accountability for ignorant prescribers?

Reactions: 1 users
I was just curious if anyone has had any "success" stories reporting prescribers to their licensing board or DEA for improper prescribing (like running a pill mill) or even rampant procedural errors like issuing non-compliant written prescriptions.

For example, non-compliant controlled substance prescriptions seem actually pervasive all over California just based on the fact that many prescription forms are completely lacking check boxes for refills or other procedural errors like missing the security printer ID. I would say 8 out of 10 scripts are invalid based on the omission of check boxes of refills alone, based on what I've seen in AZ near the CA border as well as in northern California, but the CA BOP does not seem to care (?), at least until an anal inspector decides to **** a pharmacy and supervising PIC over during an inspection.

All I get are non-committal generic responses from board inspectors without addressing specifically the fact of omission and recommend that I report non-compliant forms to the DoJ for potential fraud, and not address the pervasiveness of non-compliant forms for otherwise "legitimate" prescriptions.

One time I had a PA get pissed off that I would not dispense a CII based on the fact that there is no supervising physician printed on the form and the PA told the patient to take it somewhere else. I thought, well, if you don't actually have a supervising physician, that is blatantly unlawful. She and various other PAs I have reported to PA board and Dept of Justice in the hope that they get ****ed with but it seems rather futile. Some pediatricians don't even get their paper from an official security printer, and I called them out on that and the office manager literally told me "other pharmacies don't have this problem. This is the first I've heard of this." Like what the ****?

That's just how it is here n AZ. Was shocked when I first saw the scripts over here after practicing n Florida. They might as well write the controls on toilet paper. I wouldn't bother complaining. No one cares. The DEA doesn't care. If they did this wouldn't happen. No one cares, n when you start not filling scripts u get complaints. No one cares. I sure as he** don't f******care much any more. That's why the drug epidemic is what it is. Who cares? I got other s*** to worry about.

Just a heads up. If a PA ever tries to push you around then you should let them know what's up.

Oh and "supervision" isn't exactly abided by very well.........unless dermatologist working 30 hrs a week with a PA in one room and an NP in another room with their own panels of patients counts....ya, have some friends that rotated through that.

Astounded PAs and NPs have such an expedited training period and can try to push the drug experts around.

Last edited:
I had one tell me pharmacists were all being irrational in the area for not filling a CII he's trying to write for a patient due to her claiming her percocets were stolen but she was unwilling to completely file a police report regarding the incident. I, of course, didn't fill it either.

Reactions: 1 user
That's just how it is here n AZ. Was shocked when I first saw the scripts over here after practicing n Florida. They might as well write the controls on toilet paper. I wouldn't bother complaining. No one cares. The DEA doesn't care. If they did this wouldn't happen. No one cares, n when you start not filling scripts u get complaints. No one cares. I sure as he** don't f******care much any more. That's why the drug epidemic is what it is. Who cares? I got other s*** to worry about.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/bomex-a-history-of-leniency-6424356

The AZ Board of Medicine is notoriously lenient even when they do enforce (comes up every decade or so). Your best bet is to be dumb and just find ways of holding your nose as well as write notes on the Rx that "counseled on high dose opioids".

I'm surprised Walgreens or CVS hasn't made it a corporate policy to offer naloxone with every opioid prescription like french fries. "Psssh, I've always heard about the power of Narcan. After your big night with a lot of Roxy (Roxicet), give yourself a shot of this for a completely unique experience. It works every time."

Reactions: 1 user
for those of you in CA, what do you guys do when a patient brings in a CII script with no date? esp if it's from an ER? and let's say this particular ER keeps doing it...

Unless it's from an approved type of institution, with drug, sig pre-printed, tell the patient the prescription is invalid. They have to take the prescription back to the doctor to get the date written by the prescriber.

This will of course make the patient take the rx back and write the date themselves. In this case, when they bring rx back with written date, I usually call the office to confirm they just brought rx back in to be fixed.

edit: I assumed you meant no handwritten date, not no date at all

for those of you in CA, what do you guys do when a patient brings in a CII script with no date? esp if it's from an ER? and let's say this particular ER keeps doing it...

Last edited:

in Maryland, i keep rejecting it until they get it right. it takes some times, and some customer complaints, but the number of complaints they receive add up until they stop being a jerk.. then the process repeats with missing DEA.. it's part of the training process. u have to train them like dogs otherwise they will not obey the laws... u have to understand there are laws for a reason.....

Reactions: 1 users