other pharmacist career opportunities outside retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tua09053

2011 PA RPH
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i am a current pharmacist with 6 years of retail experience and 6 months of managed care and 2 years of hospital. i do not enjoy patient care... what other career opportunities are there in pharmacy without patient care near cherry hill nj (45minute radius) (i am licensed in pa, nj, and delaware)... i enjoyed managed care but it is unstable position... i am willing to work towards the desired career.... also want mon-wed or mon-thurs schedule ideally 10 hours a day with 4 weeks or more vacation.... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also willing to open my own business or do some venture capitalism... i have invested and save my money fairly well... i am 32 years old.... i have about 500k networth mostly in real estate... trying to get to 1 million so i can relax

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, I think if anyone here knew of a non-patient facing gig in a populated area like that, with Mon-Thurs 4x10 hr days, 4 or more weeks of paid vacation, and making a pharmacist salary...they’re not going to be telling anyone about it...they’re going to be applying themselves.

Reactions: 7 users
You don’t want patient contact? That is equivalent to a dentist asking if there is a job where he doesn’t have to work with teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
What's with all these threads asking for unicorn jobs in saturated areas?

"I want retail but no drive-thru but not Walmart in PNW."

"I want a mon-thurs schedule with no patient contact, 4 weeks vacation and it must be within 45 mins of a saturated area in NJ."

That ship sailed in 2005.

Reactions: 2 users
What's with all these threads asking for unicorn jobs in saturated areas?

"I want retail but no drive-thru but not Walmart in PNW."

"I want a mon-thurs schedule with no patient contact, 4 weeks vacation and it must be within 45 mins of a saturated area in NJ."

That ship sailed in 2005.
Yet somehow, some of us are capable of landing jobs just like that in 2018. It just takes real work to differentiate yourself in a meaningful and marketable way... Oh, and give up any dream of it happening right out of school. You'll have to get your hands dirty first.

hi i am a current pharmacist with 6 years of retail experience and 6 months of managed care and 2 years of hospital. i do not enjoy patient care... what other career opportunities are there in pharmacy without patient care near cherry hill nj (45minute radius) (i am licensed in pa, nj, and delaware)... i enjoyed managed care but it is unstable position... i am willing to work towards the desired career.... also want mon-wed or mon-thurs schedule ideally 10 hours a day with 4 weeks or more vacation.... thanks!

LOL

Paying $150k/year+ too right?

Reactions: 1 users
LOL

Paying $150k/year+ too right?

Not good enough for me. I want a job that pays $250k a year where patients and other health professionals worship me for giving pharmaceutical advice while I work for 2 hours a day by the beach.

Reactions: 1 users
Your expectations may not be attainable, escpially scheduling and shift wise....

You are going to comprise.
I usually say if you don’t like Pharmacy I General and you don’t want to go back to school to get an adjunct type of a degree, go part time in a less stressful environment.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't know if you could get the job but a director of pharmacy in a hospital might be a close match. You could ride a desk, make big $, and never have to deal with a patients.

Not good enough for me. I want a job that pays $250k a year where patients and other health professionals worship me for giving pharmaceutical advice while I work for 2 hours a day by the beach.

Sure, I've got a job for you. And I can add an additional perk if you want to sexually harass all the pretty women in your program, be this guy:
UMN professor accused of sexual harassment had been reprimanded before – Twin Cities

He farms his labor to his graduate students, serves on committees to get away from his wife, and "everyone has a story about him" where he's well-known in the profession as one of the great Bayesian statisticians and serial harasser.

What's it to you to be the villain for the entirety of your career? Why be the good guy? Because, the villain gets all the fun, does all the creative work, and gets his way for the entirety of the book, except for the ending. And if you don't care about the ending (and that even is open to question), why not get what you want?

If you're wondering what I look for in a potential pharmacy student, I look for those sorts of attitudes and try to keep them away from this profession. On the same note, on the executive search committees that I have been on, I will positively look for this kind of person, because not only is this person productive, you have blackmail leverage that if that person ever becomes inconvenient, magically "resigning to spend more time with the (broken) family" comes up quite a bit.

Most of you are intelligent enough to be that kind of person, to get what you really want. Why are you not doing what it takes to get that? No job openly is going to advertise for something like "abuse your subordinates", or "play golf 3 days a week", or "wasting company resources is cool", but you can look for the code words "take charge of people", "develop relationships", "drive change in the organization through reorganization." The playbook is there, it is a matter of you actually reading it and doing it.

(Nonsarcastically, even for those newer graduates who don't give a damn about the practice, I do hope that the admission process does favor those who have more altruistic outlooks on life and work, otherwise, nothing does work. Because to do the right ethical thing and work sincerely, the only reward that you can get out of it is the work itself. If the work is not enough, then you need to think about joining the other team.)

Someone with real ambition on this board managed to do it, but are you willing to pay the consequences at the end, because the ending is pretty much what it is.

Someone with real ambition on this board managed to do it, but are you willing to pay the consequences at the end, because the ending is pretty much what it is.

Oh dear God I hope you are not talking about what I think you are talking about. Although in a way it is the perfect example of what you are talking about.

Oh dear God I hope you are not talking about what I think you are talking about. Although in a way it is the perfect example of what you are talking about.

No, I mean this guy:

Of course, it's that guy. There's honest ways to make money, but if you're going to make serious money, there's "tradeoffs involved.

Yet somehow, some of us are capable of landing jobs just like that in 2018. It just takes real work to differentiate yourself in a meaningful and marketable way... Oh, and give up any dream of it happening right out of school. You'll have to get your hands dirty first.

It also greatly depends on your region. Where he is at I highly doubt unicorn jobs will be available for people with his experience.