Other Pitfalls To Avoid In Personal Statement For Medical School Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oxalis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the process of writing and rewriting my personal statement and I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had extra advice on do's/don'ts in personal statements that aren't ones that are more widely known like "show don't tell". Any additional insight is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Opening hook. Dense, flowery prose. Clichés. The words "passion", "fascinated", "enthralled", or any permutations thereof.
Examples of strong language over strong writing.

Reactions: 1 users
Should I include work and activities in the PS? Or should the PS be your motivation to why you did what you did and have the work and activities section speak for itself? Thanks for the reply btw!

The latter. The work and activities section exists to catalog your relevant work and activities. Most of it is dry and factual. The PS is the only space in the primary application where you have the opportunity to make your case in a narrative fashion that (hopefully) explains your inner workings. Don't waste it.

Reactions: 2 users