Other OT-Related Information otr cota pta?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

menc52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking for advise on attaing otr vs cota vs pta career path. I have a bs in bio, minor in psyc, masters in education. And have worked in human services with youth and families for over 25 years. I am 52 and was accepted to MOT privite college, but the program would take 4 years to complete, and with reduced income would cost about $110,000, which seems like crazy debt at this late age. So i was thinking of cota or pta which would be about $40,000. Looking to remain employable into my 60s. Are chances for employment that much less for cotas or ptas than otr to make the extra $75,000 worth it? Would my age be less of a barrier with the otr? Are jobs out there for 55 yr old nrw grads? Any advise greatly needed.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of older people working in OT. Its np.

Why go to a 4 yr program? You can also look into flex programs...

Thanks for reply. By flex programs are you talking about online or weekend? Weekend mot is the 120k and it takes 4 years. The cota would be and 2 years and 40k. I have heard of a accredited online cota. Is mot going to be so much easier to get a job to be worth tje extra2 years and 70k? Or just go for cota lesstime and money equal jib prospects?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't go wrong with being a COTA or a PTA. Good money and high employability. Spending $110k in a MOT program might not be wise financially, but with a $40k program at a community college or something, you're pulling in a good $45k-$60k depending on your location.

Yes that seems to make most sense at this stage. Thanks for the input.

USA Flex is about 3 years. You can google programs or look at the AOTA site.

The USA flex has the fluff online and on weekends you do the labs.