OU-HCOM (Athens) vs. OSU-COM (Cherokee Nation) vs. NYIT-AR (Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldDO2Bee

OMS-I
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on which school to choose? I’ve been accepted to all 3 and I’m paralyzed by the decision/ afraid to make a mistake. OSU-COM (closest to where I live, still out of state), OU-HCOM (closer to family, again out of state) and NYIT-AR (no ties to region/area of the state). Can anyone offer objective pros & cons? Or answers to the following: Is OSU-COM CN equivalent to Tulsa, living in Tahlequah? Thoughts on rotations near/around Athens, new curriculum? NYIT reputation, rotation sites, living in Jonesboro?

Edit: Currently on WL at KCU (not sure which campus).

Any input is welcome. Thanks, in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro I would really appreciate your assessment of these 3 institutions. Please, and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to OSU-COM CN in the previous cycle. Although I ended up somewhere else, I have a very high opinion of them. I grew up in Tulsa and I can tell you that living in Tahlequah is very different. While Tulsa is relatively urban, Tahlequah is very rural. The new building is beautiful, but be aware that about 60% of their lectures are broadcasted from Tulsa. That's what they told me when I toured, but it may have changed as the campus community continues to grow. The professors I met seemed really nice and very dedicated to their students. You also get many of the resources that come with being a part of a very large state school. You also get to work with the Cherokee nation, which is super cool.

If you are from the region (which it sounds like you are), have a GPA >3.5, and an MCAT >500, I would encourage you to make sure you receive an OOS tuition waiver. They also didn't release scholarship info until later in the spring, so that may change things. My stats were okay-to-good and I received an incredibly generous scholarship.

I'd say that probably the biggest con to OSUCOM-CN is that they haven't graduated a class yet. The catComs can probably elaborate more on what this means as far as matching, but the OSU parent institution seems to match relatively well.

Reactions: 1 user
Ohio Heritage requires OOS students to practice in Ohio for 5 years if I recall right. Unless they have changed that recently.

I was accepted to OSU-COM CN in the previous cycle. Although I ended up somewhere else, I have a very high opinion of them. I grew up in Tulsa and I can tell you that living in Tahlequah is very different. While Tulsa is relatively urban, Tahlequah is very rural. The new building is beautiful, but be aware that about 60% of their lectures are broadcasted from Tulsa. That's what they told me when I toured, but it may have changed as the campus community continues to grow. The professors I met seemed really nice and very dedicated to their students. You also get many of the resources that come with being a part of a very large state school. You also get to work with the Cherokee nation, which is super cool.

If you are from the region (which it sounds like you are), have a GPA >3.5, and an MCAT >500, I would encourage you to make sure you receive an OOS tuition waiver. They also didn't release scholarship info until later in the spring, so that may change things. My stats were okay-to-good and I received an incredibly generous scholarship.

I'd say that probably the biggest con to OSUCOM-CN is that they haven't graduated a class yet. The catComs can probably elaborate more on what this means as far as matching, but the OSU parent institution seems to match relatively well.
Thanks for the info! I wasn’t sure how the new campus would be viewed since it’s new. I assumed it would be held to the same esteem as Tulsa, is that not correct? I’m non-trad with a family so where we live/community is very important. Definitely a plus to be part of the larger state university system.

Unfortunately, I’m not eligible for the waiver, even though I’m from a neighboring state.

I’m not familiar with the catComs. What is that?

Ohio Heritage requires OOS students to practice in Ohio for 5 years if I recall right. Unless they have changed that recently.
That’s correct. Residency counts & if I match primary care (which is what I’m assuming I’d like to do) a 3 year residency will fulfill the requirements. They give 1.5 years of credit for every 1 calendar year in a primary care residency within the state.

I grew up in the midwest, I think we would enjoy living in OH. The biggest concern is, what if I don’t match in OH.

That’s correct. Residency counts & if I match primary care (which is what I’m assuming I’d like to do) a 3 year residency will fulfill the requirements. They give 1.5 years of credit for every 1 calendar year in a primary care residency within the state.

I grew up in the midwest, I think we would enjoy living in OH. The biggest concern is, what if I don’t match in OH.
I would opt for OU-HCOM then if you’re used to the Midwest and think you’d enjoy it. I think you have a strong chance of matching primary care within the state.

The other options you have are at newer campuses and I tend to advise avoiding that headache while they adjust curriculum, methods, rotations sites etc. Jonesboro has been around longer to sort through that, but doesn’t have the reputation of the main campus.

Hi! Just followed you here from your previous post. I am also an OOS student that was accepted at Athens and I was granted an exemption from the 5 year contract. They give them out to OOS students that they think really fit the schools mission and will provide benefit to the program. It is something to look into (and will let you cast a much broader net for residency). If you match outside of OH you have the option to break the contract but I think it can cost upwards of 30K to do so. If you have any questions I am happy to connect! I just moved to Athens this past Monday with my husband and we already love it here so much!

Congrats on all your acceptances too! 🎵Go little Rockstar🎵