OU-HCOM-Athens vs. VCOM-VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeYouDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got accepted to VCOM-VA campus for the upcoming Fall 2018 a few months ago. I moved forward with my application, but I recently got accepted to OU-HCOM. I loved both the schools, but OU-HCOM was my first choice. However, I am an OOS student and was required to sign an OOS contract for HCOM along with my secondary application. The OOS contract binds you to practice in Ohio for 5 years post residency, although there are various ways of opting out including scholarships, or payment if there is a breach of contract. Even though, I do not mind living in Ohio to serve my time. VCOM has no binding contract, and I like their block system schedule. It is a more traditional school and a little more secluded. HCOM has a new curriculum for the incoming class, but during my interview, I liked how they talked about how the curriculum change would help their students succeed better in their medical licensing examination. I am from the midwest and I like the area in Athens, Ohio compared to Blacksburg, VA. HCOM has a lot of clinical affiliations with bigger hospitals such as Cleveland Clinic. During my interviews with both schools, I was inclined to HCOM however, I am a little hesitant about their binding contract. They are both very similar in the residency match rates and tuition rates are relatively similar as well. I would love to get an input from some of you! Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: