ouch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbull928

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man you sound like a competitive canidate except the 3.5 but wow for a proff. to turn you down that is cold.

so this prof who knows me asked me for my gpa & mcat before writing the LOR, and she refused. UG - 3.5, grad - 3.85, MCAT - 34.

i did physics & engineering during ug, and then engineering in grad. i've got a ton of EC's (3+ yrs of engineering work, patent pending, publication, presentation, volunteering, 20-30 hrs/wk of work thruout my education, shadowing, 8 scholarships, 3 honors societies, research fellowships, research office grants)

this makes me very depressed. Should I do post-bac? I'd love to stay in CA.

That's rough. Why did she turn you down? She didn't think you were competitive? Many people (myself included) would kill to have your undergrad stats.

I always thought a Letter of Recommendation was not about statistics, but rather about the personal characteristics of an applicant that could not be measured by a transcript or GPA. Otherwise, what is the point?

Was she your mentor during your graduate degree? If so, that is even weirder.

Members don't see this ad :)
The prof is an ass. You are competitive (but you do know that CA is the toughest state, right? You need to apply broadly and to plenty of OOS schools).

She was just looking for an excuse to not write the letter. You are better off this way - find someone who is enthusiastic to write you a letter.

No, apparently not. And she wasn't my mentor. My mentor wrote me one. I already have enough letters of rec, but I thought I'd get another one. I mean, no one wants to to risk his/her reputation for a non-competitive person, but it makes me sad that a prof wants to write only for those with WashU numbers. It makes me wanna get into a great school and show her. I just hope I'll get into a great school - I'll have to beg and plead to my top choice school if I need to.

I agree with that it's a good thing she didn't write me one. Applying to med schools is an excruciating process, and I need people to believe in me and support me.

That's rough. Why did she turn you down? She didn't think you were competitive? Many people (myself included) would kill to have your undergrad stats.

I always thought a Letter of Recommendation was not about statistics, but rather about the personal characteristics of an applicant that could not be measured by a transcript or GPA. Otherwise, what is the point?

Was she your mentor during your graduate degree? If so, that is even weirder.

No, apparently not. And she wasn't my mentor. My mentor wrote me one. I already have enough letters of rec, but I thought I'd get another one. I mean, no one wants to to risk his/her reputation for a non-competitive person, but it makes me sad that a prof wants to write only for those with WashU numbers. It makes me wanna get into a great school and show her. I just hope I'll get into a great school - I'll have to beg and plead to my top choice school if I need to.

I agree with that it's a good thing she didn't write me one. Applying to med schools is an excruciating process, and I need people to believe in me and support me.

+1

You need people who are 100% "on your team". Don't worry about it. You are going to do fine!!

Wait, so let me get this straight: You have all the rec letters you need and a very competitive set of scores, and you're planning on not applying this year because you couldn't get an additional recommendation? :confused::confused::confused:

I mean, no one wants to to risk his/her reputation for a non-competitive person
1) letter writers aren't staking their reputation on you.
2) You are competitive. Some self-confidence would do you lots of good.

It makes me wanna get into a great school and show her. I just hope I'll get into a great school - I'll have to beg and plead to my top choice school if I need to.
Every U.S. and Canadian school is great. Don't be like some other people and go berserk if you don't get into Yale or something. You're going to learn pretty much the same stuff no matter where you go.

The prof is an ass. She was just looking for an excuse to not write the letter. You are better off this way - find someone who is enthusiastic to write you a letter.
Amen. You didn't want her letter anyway.

No, I'm applying. I applied (waiting for verification), but it makes me feel like I should raise my UG gpa because here's a prof who thinks my GPA isn't even good enough to write a rec letter for. How am I get into med school?? (that's the panicking thoughts I'm having) And as for the school, it's funny you mentioned Yale. My dream school is currently ranked the same as Yale but it's a CA public institution. I know it's a bit of a reach but I'm hoping my EC's will pull me thru. I am one of those with thick skin who wouldn't mind begging as well :p

Wait, so let me get this straight: You have all the rec letters you need and a very competitive set of scores, and you're planning on not applying this year because you couldn't get an additional recommendation? :confused::confused::confused:

No, I'm applying. I applied (waiting for verification), but it makes me feel like I should raise my UG gpa because here's a prof who thinks my GPA isn't even good enough to write a rec letter for. How am I get into med school?? (that's the panicking thoughts I'm having) And as for the school, it's funny you mentioned Yale. My dream school is currently ranked the same as Yale but it's a CA public institution. I know it's a bit of a reach but I'm hoping my EC's will pull me thru. I am one of those with thick skin who wouldn't mind begging as well :p

I thought we established that your professor has poor judgment...:laugh:

You are very competitive living in an ultra-competitive state!

You're competitive and I'm certain you'll get into a school this year. Even if you don't get into that dream school, you'll get into plenty of other schools, some of which you may enjoy more than said school. 5 years from now when you're a doctor you'll be very happy that you didn't spend that extra year bringing up your GPA just because some professor didn't believe in you, and it'll be just another reminder that some people have no clue what they're talking about.