out of line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figure five

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

just wondering if anybody has preempted any interview offers by calling admissions people directly. I've already made two trips back east, and am planning a third for an interview at NYU...however, I haven't heard from two other schools on the east coast and I really can't afford the time and expense of a 4th or 5th trip out there, aside from trips to the midwest. I'm wondering if anybody else has called a school ahead of time and requested an interview before it's been offered? I don't mean to presume or sound annoying, but being from california and living on a waiter's budget I'm just having major money issues.

thanks

michael

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. When I interviewed at Albany, I called NYMC and Einstein...no luck with either. I now have an interview scheduled at Hahnemann and called Jefferson to see if they will work with me. The receptionist said she would have the committee review my file and would contact me on THURSDAY with a decision. That's yesterday, mind you. Hopefully, it slipped her mind. It's quite possible that she was annoyed and is sending a rejection letter.

If you have an acceptance already, go for it. If not, walk on eggshells and be selective. Good Luck! I don't know why schools aren't more understanding. It's obvious that most of us apply to TONS of schools. You'd think they'd want to give us a chance to see their schools before we are too broke to travel on command.

I'm going through the same drill as SwampMan. I've called many schools and had luck once -- Albany called me back and let me coordinate my interview there with Columbia's. No luck with Mount Sinai and Rochester or other east coast schools I called (some just said no dice right away, others said they'd make "a note to my file"). Rochester subsequently offered me an interview, so I've called Mount Sinai twice (because I had to reschedule Rochester because it was just too expensive to travel right after the holidays!) to inquire about coordinating. I need to schedule my MCPHU interview, and then I guess I'll try calling Jefferson to try to coordinate, but I don't have a lot of hope it will happen. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Cincinnati, since I was going to Ohio State anyway. Turned out they were already planning on offering me an interview and had it scheduled for Jan 15. Well, I interviewed at Ohio State on Monday, and Cincinnati was able to get me in on Tuesday. So I effectively moved my interview date up a month!

You are allowed to do such a thing. The people in the admin offices understand that we are broke, so they do take that into consideration. Just be really polite about it. I've done it, but have heard nothing yet.