Out of state preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no beans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lived in my state all my life. I am at a huge public school in my state as well. However, I really would like to experience a different area of the country for medical school and have been steadfast about this. I noted a current thread about schools being more apt to accept students who would be more likely to go to their school- namely, instate or in-region, and less likely to accept ones that stayed in a far-away state all their lives. How do I make it clear to schools that I really want to experience a new place even if I have no ties to the area? Obviously, this could not be in my personal statement, as I plan on applying to instate schools to increase likelihood of acceptance. However, given the choice, I would choose a private out of state school, and likely, out of region. If there is a question that would lend itself to this explanation in a school's secondary, I obviously will address it there. How do I get this message across if there is no such opportunity on the secondary application? I don't want to be passed over by private schools that would consider interviewing me moreso if I hadn't previously shown strong ties to my state. Perhaps LizzyM would have a suggestion? Anyone? I have strong stats and EC's, but no MCAT yet... will apply next spring.

Members don't see this ad.

Private schools won't care where you come from. What they'd like to know and what you need to communicate to them either through secondaries and interviews is what specifically about their schools that appeal to you. Of all reasons you could think of, location could be one of them especially if the school is located in a major urban area with exciting clinical opportunities and exposure to diverse population. I however think that you should delve deeper into why you'd like to attend certain schools beyond their geographical location. It's ok if that's the primary reason for YOU but you should do research into other factors that schools love to show off and brag about on interview days like their "innovative/integrated curriculum," access to world-class research facilities and investigators, new clinical simulation centers, major referral hospitals, etc...It's these things that will help demonstrate your interest in them most effectively, NOT "oh, because I love the Northeast" or "I love the hospitality of the South" or "I love the beauty of the Pacific NW."

Some interviewers like to see that you have some social supports in the local area (let's say within an hour's drive). An uncle, a cousin, ...

The other question is why do you think you want to move to this area? Are you open to the difference in culture from "back home". Just something to ask yourself.

On the other hand, if you apply to a place that sees very few applicants from your section of the country (works best if you are from a state with a population of < 2 million) you could have a good shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Byurazorhog, I do plan on communicating why specifically I chose to apply to certain schools- that is what I mean. I want to pick schools to apply to for academic reasons, not because I have family there or it's in a particular area of the country. I want to apply to several very different areas. I just want to relay the message that I don't plan on choosing my instate medical schools if I have better choices for me that are not instate. I feel that one aspect I need to grow in is to experience a different environment than what I'm accustomed to. I have not had the chance to do that in my life and feel it is time. I also feel I would be a little too inbred if I continued to stay in my state.

LizzyM, if I stick with only places I have family nearby, that would be too limiting. I really would love to try for schools in several different areas and figure out what schools I really like the most and would be best for my interests. I really wish I wouldn't be judged by having stayed in state in the past. It was not what I wanted and what I planned, just how it worked out. How can I impress on out of state schools that I really would seriously consider matriculating if chosen, so they will consider me a serious applicant and not gloss over my application when it comes time to pick interviewees? How can I best relay this information?

In my extracurricular activities it has payed off to get out of my comfort zone and experience different people and different situations. I'd really like to experience living in another area of the country with a different 'culture' as well.

By the way, it is not my desire to get away from my family, who I dearly love. Flying home from many of these schools would actually take less time than driving home from my instate choices! Not too expensive either. Cost-wise, I have no debt from UG since I got scholarships. My parents are willing to help with my medical school costs. Please advise.

I would suggest to you to buy the most up-to-date MSAR to see which schools are the most OOS friendly. A lot of schools in my state (Pennsylvania) have half of the class filled with OOSers (especially those in Philadelphia). The MSAR will also give you the average GPA's and MCAT's of each school (to see if you'd be competitive there or not) so it would be worth buying. I actually split the cost with a friend who also wanted the MSAR.

Or you can tell me which schools you are interested in and I can tell you if they're OOS friendly or not (I have an MSAR for 2009-2010).

Out of curiousity...where are you now and where would you preferably like to go (big city, rural, etc...)?

Last edited:
Some interviewers like to see that you have some social supports in the local area (let's say within an hour's drive). An uncle, a cousin, ...
Yeah if possible, I highly suggest mentioning any ties that you have either in your secondary applications or during your interviews.
The other question is why do you think you want to move to this area? Are you open to the difference in culture from "back home". Just something to ask yourself.
Make sure to really emphasize how open you are to living in new places. I suspect that a couple of schools were concerned that I would be unable to cope with severe winter weather and large cities. In actuality, weather really doesn’t bother me, I love traveling all over the place, and I could probably be happy living anywhere. I could live in a cardboard box buried under 3ft of snow, and still be fairly content.
On the other hand, if you apply to a place that sees very few applicants from your section of the country (works best if you are from a state with a population of < 2 million) you could have a good shot.
Haha God I wish that was true. :laugh: This entire process would have been so much easier if I wasn’t a New Mexico resident.

I would suggest to you to buy the most up-to-date MSAR to see which schools are the most OOS friendly. A lot of schools in my state (Pennsylvania) have half of the class filled with OOSers (especially those in Philadelphia). The MSAR will also give you the average GPA's and MCAT's of each school (to see if you'd be competitive there or not) so it would be worth buying. I actually split the cost with a friend who also wanted the MSAR.

I would caution against using this as a huge indicator, though. For instance, some private schools SEEM to favor people from a region or state if you only look at percentage of matriculates, but that might not necessarily be the case. It is likely that people from the state of a private school are just more likely to go there, and not that they were more likely to get accepted.

I would caution against using this as a huge indicator, though. For instance, some private schools SEEM to favor people from a region or state if you only look at percentage of matriculates, but that might not necessarily be the case. It is likely that people from the state of a private school are just more likely to go there, and not that they were more likely to get accepted.

While you do bring up a good point, it can still give you a good idea when you see some schools that have 10 OOS matriculants compared to having 100 at another.

I have last year's MSAR. I can see the OOS data for all schools. However, many of those applicants went to UG OOS, so they are different from me in that they 'showed' willingness to leave their state, so they may be considered better prospects for interview/acceptance. With my history of all my education and all of my years in my state, I can see why they would question my willingness to leave.

Sense of Humerus- If I can't get to the interview stage at these schools, I can't explain to them how open-minded I am about living in a different area. I'd like to figure out how to let them know before they are in the position to pass me over for an interview because of my previous record of choosing schools only in my state.

Don Juan, you pose a good point. I bet you're right to a degree. However, LizzyM mentioned in another thread that some of these schools might feel someone like me is a risk to accept because previously I've never shown I would leave my state. I just need to find a way to let them know before the interview stage that I am very willing and able to leave my home state. I just wish I knew how.

Status
Not open for further replies.