-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Out of state schools
Started by shal
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I don't think any out-of-state public school would give you a fair chance of admission, since by law, they're required to accept a certain percentage of in-state students. I know at the University of Nortch Carolina, they only accept 18% out-of-state students.
Ok, if not fair then good chances of getting accepted. I have seen a lot of people applying to certain universities such as Midwestern, NVCP etc. Can someone tell me which ones I can apply to next year? I may or may not be applying since I still have to hear back from one more university. But, just wanted to prepare myself for the worst scenario.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The University of Maryland does not have extremely restrictive policies on out-of-state students. I am sure they favor in-state applicants, but I think they let in a larger percentage of out-of-state people than a lot of public state schools. I got in there this year and I am a Texas resident.
Shannon
Shannon
Here is a document that lays out the residency of entering students from the 2002 entering class:
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForStudentsApplicants/5393_PSARtab8.pdf
(It's a pdf file so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it.)
You can tell from this document that some schools have extremely restrictive policies for out-of-state applicants and others do not. I can't find a copy of this for 2003, but their residency policies have probably not changed since 2002.
This is from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy web page which has a bunch of helpful statistics and documents that you can take a look at.
http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TrackID= &VID=1&CID=29&DID=3022
Lot of good info under the "Admissions" and "Application and Enrollment Data" links.
Shannon
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForStudentsApplicants/5393_PSARtab8.pdf
(It's a pdf file so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it.)
You can tell from this document that some schools have extremely restrictive policies for out-of-state applicants and others do not. I can't find a copy of this for 2003, but their residency policies have probably not changed since 2002.
This is from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy web page which has a bunch of helpful statistics and documents that you can take a look at.
http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TrackID= &VID=1&CID=29&DID=3022
Lot of good info under the "Admissions" and "Application and Enrollment Data" links.
Shannon
Originally posted by goheel
Hmm, for some reason, I can't find Long Island on that list. Is Long Island a new school or something?
Long Island is "St. John's University"- it should be under that name.
Creighton University is a good choice for a private school... I don't think it's hard to get in at all. No interviews or anything, just PharmCAS and a supplemental application. They're really good with keeping applicants updated too. Throughout the application process they emailed me and called me to let me know what documents I'm missing, etc etc. And two weeks after turning in everything, I got accepted. So yeah I'd say if you're thinking about priviate out-of-school schools (unless you're from Nebraska... that's where Creighton is located), you should consider Creighton as a choice. They take in lots of out-of-state students, which is a plus. 🙂
Originally posted by sunkiki486
Creighton University is a good choice for a private school... I don't think it's hard to get in at all. No interviews or anything, just PharmCAS and a supplemental application. They're really good with keeping applicants updated too. Throughout the application process they emailed me and called me to let me know what documents I'm missing, etc etc. And two weeks after turning in everything, I got accepted. So yeah I'd say if you're thinking about priviate out-of-school schools (unless you're from Nebraska... that's where Creighton is located), you should consider Creighton as a choice. They take in lots of out-of-state students, which is a plus. 🙂
Do you know what PCAT score they consider competitive? This year I didn't want to take the PCAT so I was very limited with the number of schools I could apply to. I think if I don't get in anywhere, then I will probably take the PCAT.
Originally posted by shal
Do you know what PCAT score they consider competitive? This year I didn't want to take the PCAT so I was very limited with the number of schools I could apply to. I think if I don't get in anywhere, then I will probably take the PCAT.
I'm not sure... it doesn't say on the school Website. If it gives you any better idea, my composite was a 81... I don't think Creighton look at your PCAT score as much as other aspects such as your grades and personal statement, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten in (I did REALLY bad on my verbal section -- lower than a 30...)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It wasnt for this years entering class (Fall 2004) but it will be required for the entering class of 2005.
Originally posted by scuba_smitty
It wasnt for this years entering class (Fall 2004) but it will be required for the entering class of 2005.
wow that blows
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K