• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

UFGator15

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys!

I am considering out-of-state PharmD programs and was wondering if it was worth it?

Also, is there a way to attain resident status later on to minimize tuition costs? If so, how easy or difficult is it to do so?

Thanks!

y0ssarian87

7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2012
New York City Metro Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hey guys!

I am considering out-of-state PharmD programs and was wondering if it was worth it?

Also, is there a way to attain resident status later on to minimize tuition costs? If so, how easy or difficult is it to do so?

Thanks!

It depends on the state and the school. Most schools that I interviewed at made it impossible to get in-state residency, however I am at University of Maryland, where they do make it relatively easy to get in-state status and in-state tuition after your first year.

Reactions: 1 user

donnyrocks

Sep 14, 2015
Yep, incredibly subjective question as every institution is different. You're going to have to check with the out-of-state school of interest and weigh out the pros/cons.

Also, there is a way to attain residency and it's a bit different for every state. The general requirements include living in the state for one full year and be financially independent. The difficulty in claiming state residency also depends on the state (I heard it's hard to do so in Illinois, but quite easy in Ohio and Kentucky).

Sugoi Travis

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Yep, incredibly subjective question as every institution is different. You're going to have to check with the out-of-state school of interest and weigh out the pros/cons.

^ Pretty much this. I'm from California and even with getting docked OOS tuition for all 4 years (even if I estabilish residency here in Florida), it was still cheaper for me to attend a school here as opposed to back in California.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.