Out-of-State Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UFGator15

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!

I am considering out-of-state PharmD programs and was wondering if it was worth it?

Also, is there a way to attain resident status later on to minimize tuition costs? If so, how easy or difficult is it to do so?

Thanks!
 
Hey guys!

I am considering out-of-state PharmD programs and was wondering if it was worth it?

Also, is there a way to attain resident status later on to minimize tuition costs? If so, how easy or difficult is it to do so?

Thanks!

It depends on the state and the school. Most schools that I interviewed at made it impossible to get in-state residency, however I am at University of Maryland, where they do make it relatively easy to get in-state status and in-state tuition after your first year.
 
Yep, incredibly subjective question as every institution is different. You're going to have to check with the out-of-state school of interest and weigh out the pros/cons.

Also, there is a way to attain residency and it's a bit different for every state. The general requirements include living in the state for one full year and be financially independent. The difficulty in claiming state residency also depends on the state (I heard it's hard to do so in Illinois, but quite easy in Ohio and Kentucky).
 
Yep, incredibly subjective question as every institution is different. You're going to have to check with the out-of-state school of interest and weigh out the pros/cons.

^ Pretty much this. I'm from California and even with getting docked OOS tuition for all 4 years (even if I estabilish residency here in Florida), it was still cheaper for me to attend a school here as opposed to back in California.