out of state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho-matic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing that I live in Arkansas, what are some out of state schools that look favorably at out of state applicants? By the time I graduate with my BS I should have a 3.4. So schools only look at the higher grade in a repeate course or do they average it all together? Thanks,

Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I have a C in Botany, Zoology, Speech, Micro lab and Marine bio Lab....would it help to take these over? I could probably get A's in all of them. Also, UAMS here in Little Rock does not require Anatomy and Physiology. Why do so many schools do?

Ryan

Does anyone know some out of state schools I can look at that take out of state folks? I live in Arkansas.

What about Xavier and Shanedoah? Any others?

Members don't see this ad :)
State schools prefer students from their state, but do admit maybe 15% of their class as out-of-state students. SUNY-Buffalo says they don't admit states students preferably though. Private schools give everyone an equal chance. Schools average the grades together if you repeat a course. Retaking those courses is up to you, but it would probably be better if you did. It would raise your GPA if you got As. I think a lot of schools require A&P because you have to take a graduate level one in pharm school. Already having taken it will help you a lot. They can probably spend more time going into detail because people know it rather than just going over the basics.

Schools average the grades together if you repeat a course.

Wrong. This totally depends on the school. PharmCAS does this, and some schools do this, but some schools only consider the highest grade, or even only consider the actual coursework specifically pre-pharmacy.

Wrong. This totally depends on the school. PharmCAS does this, and some schools do this, but some schools only consider the highest grade, or even only consider the actual coursework specifically pre-pharmacy.

So how does PharmCAS work? I assume it allows you to use one applicatin to apply to many schools, including your transcripts, etc. Can you also use this to duplicate your personal statement and your letters of reference? I could imagine your professors or pharmacy supervisor not liking having to write several letters to different schools.

Xavier doesn't use PharmCAS, and they don't require the PCAT. Are there any other schools out there that don't require the PCAT?

Does anyone know anything about Shenadoah University's program? And how hard it is to get in there? Is it public or private? I used to live in that area and would love to go to school there.

My school offers a senior level class in Pharmacology. Do you think this would be benefitial?

Ryan

Micro lab and zoology are the 2 courses off of your last that are most relevant to pharmacy school. If you are doing retakes, I'd recommend those. Esp Zoology.

PharmCAS sends the basic app, LORs, and transcripts to all schools. Some schools will want transcripts sent to them directly as well. And, most also require a supplemental application which may be an essay, series of short answer questions, additional questions about yourself, or just a check, depending on the school.

There are tons of private schools that don't care what state you are from. In the FAQ there are links to the AACP page where they have stats on in and out of state acceptance for all schools, but the link won't work at the moment b/c the site got hacked into. Hopefully AACP will fix it early next week. There are also stats on average GPA of accepted applicant, application to admission ratio, etc on their website.

The University of Michigan has approximately 1/3 of its class from out of state - among the highest of the top public pharmacy schools. They are also understanding of past mistakes provided that you present them with strong current credentials.

The University of Michigan has approximately 1/3 of its class from out of state - among the highest of the top public pharmacy schools. They are also understanding of past mistakes provided that you present them with strong current credentials.

Thanks a lot! I looked at their website and it looks encouraging...

University of Minnesota also does not consider your state of residency during admission process. Check out their website for more information:
http://www.pharmacy.umn.edu/pharmd/admissions/home.html

Wow...first school I've seen that DOES look at your most recent GPA...3.20 for the last 60 hours. If I pull off a 3.8 to 4.0 these last 2 yeasr and do well on the MCAT I just might be in good shape.:)

Wow...first school I've seen that DOES look at your most recent GPA...3.20 for the last 60 hours. If I pull off a 3.8 to 4.0 these last 2 yeasr and do well on the MCAT I just might be in good shape.:)

Just a question. Sorry I know I have tons of questions but I'm still learning! I've seen this from several schools. 2 semesters of english composition. Comp 1 I took. Comp 2 i took the CLEP exam for. It is on my transcript. Will schools accept that? I'm taking World Lit 2 now to satisfy my gen ed at my college. And can you apply to both campuses to improve your chances?

So how does PharmCAS work?

PharmCAS simply adds up all your grade points and divides it by the number of credits you've taken. Withdrawns don't count. So say you take a 4 credit Physics class 3 times, getting an F, C, & A for your grades. That's 0 (4x0), 8 (2x4), and 16 (4x4) = 24 total points. Divide this by the total credits worth, (24/12) gives you an average of 2.0 which is a C.

This compared to some schools which only look at the highest, which would be the A at 4.0. That's a big difference. It only takes a couple F's or D's to demolish your GPA. If you retake the class, you have to get an A, and even then it doesn't help a tremendous amount.

My GPA varies wildly depending on which way its calculated because I have a bunch of classes I retook from eons ago, and a lot of non pre-pharmacy classes.