Out-of-State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOKeefe10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it extremely harder to get into a medical school out-of-state?
I am from MS and we only have one med. school and there are others I would much rather attend... I was just wondering what the competition is when applying out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd argue that it's easier to get in Out of State. I'm from Colorado and got shafted by my own state school. Got 2 acceptances from OOS schools so far. Hoping one 1 more. Just realize that you're going to pay more OOS, but that's life. Also, apply to private schools -> they don't care where you're from.

You'll be OK. Just make sure you look at the MSAR before you apply. Some schools only take in-state students, so obviously don't apply to those.

It really is a state-by-state and school-by-school issue... this is where the MSAR comes in handy.

Most private institutions do not have any in-state/out-of-state preference, but most state institutions will hold some bias against you for not being a resident. Some states are more welcoming than others in terms of admissions (and tuition) and other states it is essentially impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yea, and if you're not from California, don't even bother to apply there unless you've got absolutely incredible stats.

Do you think this coment applys to Keck USC? It is private and has lower average states.