Out of State???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading some posts, many people state whether or not certain schools take out of state students. How can you determine whether a school takes many in state or our of state students?

And also, what determines your state residence? How many months before you actually start your MD program do you need to be living in that state?

Any help here would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

After reading some posts, many people state whether or not certain schools take out of state students. How can you determine whether a school takes many in state or our of state students?

And also, what determines your state residence? How many months before you actually start your MD program do you need to be living in that state?

The MSAR is your friend for OOS info. I think it takes between 6-12 months to establish residency status. You can start your MD program before you do though you just might be paying OOS tuition the first year.

It varies from state to state. Just run a google search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the posts. I'm actually looking at the MSAR right now. Everyone seems to mention the MSAR as a great source of info, but to me it seems very vague.
Can you just google a particular school to gets facts such as their specialties, research opportunities, etc?

How do you know if a school is right for you? I've seen mention of some number you calculate (your MCAT score +(10xGPA) + 1). Is this an accurate way to pick schools to apply to?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just want to be able to apply with the best foot forward and it seems I don't have as much information as many seem to have even though I am trying to do the research! Thanks!!!

The MSAR is your friend for OOS info. I think it takes between 6-12 months to establish residency status. You can start your MD program before you do though you just might be paying OOS tuition the first year.

...and you could be paying it for all four. it really varies by state and sometimes even by school within states. it literally pays to do your homework on this one.

Thanks for the posts. I'm actually looking at the MSAR right now. Everyone seems to mention the MSAR as a great source of info, but to me it seems very vague.
Can you just google a particular school to gets facts such as their specialties, research opportunities, etc?

How do you know if a school is right for you? I've seen mention of some number you calculate (your MCAT score +(10xGPA) + 1). Is this an accurate way to pick schools to apply to?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just want to be able to apply with the best foot forward and it seems I don't have as much information as many seem to have even though I am trying to do the research! Thanks!!!

MSAR is about the closest thing to hard facts you are going to get :laugh:. that and the UsNews+WR school data that you have to pay for to get a look at application/interview data. the formula is called the "LizzieM score" around here, and it's a rough guide to see where you might be competitive for interview.

a lot of people here talk about "fit" and how a school "looks" for a certain kind of applicant. personally i feel that schools are much more similar than they are different, and that the "fit" stuff is something most can only get a feel for once they've already been to a few interviews, or even only once they are already at a school as a student. you're going to feel a much better "fit" for a school's location than you are for the school itself.

so, a lot of what you are asking does not lend itself to a "science" of school selection, i'm afraid. gut check time - do you see yourself at these places when you look at the website/MSAR?

Thanks for the post again, gravitywave...I was not aware of US news and WR postings!

Or you could need to establish residency 1 year prior to admission in order to be considered an in-state student.

In general, your residency status is determined where you 1) pay taxes, 2) have a driver's license/vehicle registration, and 3) where you're registered to vote. If you're living in a different state to go to college, your residency is usually determined by your parents, who claim you as dependent for taxes.

But, this is all going to vary hugely between states and schools.