1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Out of Stater becoming an In stater?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by samiam0252003, Feb 20, 2007.

1. samiam0252003

samiam0252003 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey everyone,
    Well I'm from Michigan, but I got accepted to Ohio State. I was wondering how I would get in state residency at ohio? Are there any dental students who go to ohio state, but came from out of state? How did you get in state residency? Are there any pointers you can give me? Thanks so much :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. golfmontpoker

golfmontpoker I hate chemistry
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have no idea about Ohio. But I have a friend that goes to a NC state school from TN. All he did was get a residency waiver from his employer that stated as long as he keeps working with them for a year then the employer will pay his instate tuition which would be refunded back by the school. I'm not sure how a thing like this works for dental school, but it worked fine for a university. Maybe get a job one day a week and see if this is a viable route? Or perhaps talk to Ohio's registrars office?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know alot of places let you become a resident of the state if you purchase a house. Thats how you workdown here in texas.

4. UTEMAN21

UTEMAN21 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    When I was on my interview out there they stated that you will automatically become an instate resident after the first year. If you are married and your spouse works full time you can become a resident before school starts and pay instate tuition. Lastly if you work part time you can qualify for instate tuition on a probationary status. I think that is how it works, most schools seemed to be similiar

5. Safado

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe it depends on the school. Louisville specifically said that an out of state student will be "out of state" all four years. They will not give you in-state tuition regardless. Unless of course you are already in-state before being accepted.

6. BuckeyeDDS

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Uteman is right. I came from out of state, my wife worked full time for the first two years, and we got residency from day one. It saved a bundle. One thing to keep in mind...you do have to apply for residency after the first year. It's worth a check on the requirements, but I don't think I know of anyone who has not been able to get it.

Bottom line, Ohio is by far the easiest state in which to reclassify as a resident for tuition purposes. That was a big reason for me coming here...

Good luck!

7. ice4804

ice4804 Let the fun begin...
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Does anyone have any information on this topic for University of Maryland School of Dentistry? Is it possible to get in-state tuition all four years? Or do you automatically get it after the first year?

8. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    What about VCU? I have a husband that will be working full time and we hope to buy a house. Plus, he lived/worked in VA for 4 years previously bf moving to Buffalo for 2 yrs.

9. runawaypup

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think I remember hearing at my interview at Maryland last year that it was difficult to gain residency. I don't think you get it automatically after the first year. I asked a few students about it and they said most people who had done it had a spouse working in Maryland. I suppose things could have changed but I would check with the school for specific details. Every school/state has it's own rules for determining residency.

10. ice4804

ice4804 Let the fun begin...
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks pup.

If I were to call the actual dental schools themselves, would they be able to provide me with specific details about that state's residency or would it be better to call some place within the state government?

11. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The schools should be able to provide you with the information.