Out of Vet Med since 2013, looking to get back in - Honest opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanielG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated as a veterinarian in South America in 2011 at age 21 and got my Master's at age 23. At one point I was very motivated and wanted to become a radiologist, but then burned myself out studying for the ECFVG exams and became disillusioned after I saw how much time small animal practitioners spent at the clinic. I passed the BCSE and the NAVLE on my first try, and I only have the CPE (hands-on exam) left, which I've always been terrified of (even more so now after years of not being in veterinary medicine) because of the sheer pressure and the price of the exam. I just turned 30 and felt like all my hard work (vet school and passing the US exams) was all for nothing. Looking back, I was too young and immature to be a "Doctor" and I didn't really know what I wanted out of life. I ended up becoming a teacher and teaching for 5 years, which is okay, but I still feel like I should give the veterinary medicine thing a try again.

This is where my questions come in, and you can be 100% honest. After being 100% out of veterinary medicine, is it even worth going back and trying to pass the last exam to get my license in the US? I consider myself academically capable, and I'm confident in my knowledge and the fact that I can pick up where I left off after studying for a few months, but will it be worth it? I reeeeally lack confidence in my hands-on skills now, and I never really worked with small animals, which is what the bulk of the last test is about. Will I ever be able to find a job in a big city after a 5 year gap comes up in my interviews? Sure, the hours as a veterinarian are long (part of what made me lose focus and interest), but as I get older I have realized making a bit more money wouldn't be a bad idea. I've always enjoyed the challenge that medicine brings, and I really miss my brain being challenged on a day to day basis. Is this something worth pursuing or should I just let it go? This would be a huge financial/time investment for me, since I'd be holding down a full-time job while preparing for the exam, so I need a dose of reality to see if it's worth it.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

What have you been teaching in the meantime? (i.e. is it related to vet med, or another subject entirely?)

And do you have any peers from school who might be willing to let you shadow and practice clinical skills? I know of a few people who have switched fields within vet med and all of them had help from friends/mentors. I know that's not the exact same situation, but I'd imagine this wouldn't really be something anyone could do on their own.

Oh man, I’ve been in practice as a US graduate for several years and am perfectly capable with small animal stuff, but I would still be scared of taking the CPE! I don’t think I would pass any of the large animal stuff.

How do you feel about your spays and anesthesia skills? If not great, do you have a plan on how you will gain competency?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What have you been teaching in the meantime? (i.e. is it related to vet med, or another subject entirely?)

And do you have any peers from school who might be willing to let you shadow and practice clinical skills? I know of a few people who have switched fields within vet med and all of them had help from friends/mentors. I know that's not the exact same situation, but I'd imagine this wouldn't really be something anyone could do on their own.

I've been teaching middle school science, which is not related to veterinary medicine at all. As far as shadowing, I'm pretty sure I can find a clinic that will let me help and watch since I live in a big city. The thing is, none of my vet school friends are in the US, so I have no contacts within vet med here, which makes everything trickier.

Oh man, I’ve been in practice as a US graduate for several years and am perfectly capable with small animal stuff, but I would still be scared of taking the CPE! I don’t think I would pass any of the large animal stuff.

How do you feel about your spays and anesthesia skills? If not great, do you have a plan on how you will gain competency?

Yeah, the exam and the stories I've heard are scary enough. And my spays and anesthesia skills are exactly why I've always been terrified of the exam. All I did was horses during and after vet school for about a year. I've done one spay in my life, and practiced anesthesia in 2013 at a clinic where I volunteered. Frankly, the whole process of "doing" (i.e. catheter placement, intubation, etc.) is what I struggle with. The anesthesia itself I'm confident enough to be able to handle after I get my feet wet again. I suppose I could go back to my home country where I'm licensed and practice everything, but even then, I'd have to take months off work and somehow survive during that time. Only to need almost 8k to take the exam. It's all pros and cons, but it's stressful to think about nonetheless.

Honestly...I would be seriously concerned about your ability to pass the CPE so far removed from practice, especially without any small animal background AND working full time. I don’t know that it’s worth the financial or time commitment to even attempt. Perhaps there’s something else you can do to challenge your brain regularly that doesn’t involve such a high level of risk.

The same anxiety with me but I took a PAVE truck so that I have one full year of clinical rotation at one of vet school. After I passed my QSE, I found a job as vet tech and exposing myself to small animal practice so that I will not look stupid in front of students and Professors during my rotation. I recommend you to find jobs first and absorb as much skills as you can

Honestly it sounds like you're very book smart which is great and I know many older people in my class with kids and families - I don't think you taking time off is the issue at all - I think you not wanting to work the hours in clinic is questionable because that's how you actually build those skills you'll need for a career not just for one practical exam.
I understand you want to work your brain and make money because that's a nice perk but if you don't actually want to do the work in clinic - maybe you'd be better suited for research or something with more suitable hours?

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated as a veterinarian in South America in 2011 at age 21 and got my Master's at age 23. At one point I was very motivated and wanted to become a radiologist, but then burned myself out studying for the ECFVG exams and became disillusioned after I saw how much time small animal practitioners spent at the clinic. I passed the BCSE and the NAVLE on my first try, and I only have the CPE (hands-on exam) left, which I've always been terrified of (even more so now after years of not being in veterinary medicine) because of the sheer pressure and the price of the exam. I just turned 30 and felt like all my hard work (vet school and passing the US exams) was all for nothing. Looking back, I was too young and immature to be a "Doctor" and I didn't really know what I wanted out of life. I ended up becoming a teacher and teaching for 5 years, which is okay, but I still feel like I should give the veterinary medicine thing a try again.

This is where my questions come in, and you can be 100% honest. After being 100% out of veterinary medicine, is it even worth going back and trying to pass the last exam to get my license in the US? I consider myself academically capable, and I'm confident in my knowledge and the fact that I can pick up where I left off after studying for a few months, but will it be worth it? I reeeeally lack confidence in my hands-on skills now, and I never really worked with small animals, which is what the bulk of the last test is about. Will I ever be able to find a job in a big city after a 5 year gap comes up in my interviews? Sure, the hours as a veterinarian are long (part of what made me lose focus and interest), but as I get older I have realized making a bit more money wouldn't be a bad idea. I've always enjoyed the challenge that medicine brings, and I really miss my brain being challenged on a day to day basis. Is this something worth pursuing or should I just let it go? This would be a huge financial/time investment for me, since I'd be holding down a full-time job while preparing for the exam, so I need a dose of reality to see if it's worth it.

Thank you all for your feedback!

These are the giant red flags that I see. You don't just suddenly become "ok" with longer working hours. They burn down and burn out the most dedicated of veterinarians that actually say they don't mind working long hours.

Also, exactly what type of job are you going to be looking for if you pass the CPE? Small animal? You've repeatedly stated you have never wanted to do small animal and figure you will just need that information for the exam, but, honestly after a 7 year gap, the chances of you finding a job in veterinary medicine that isn't in small animal are very slim. If you could find an equine only position, those working hours are even longer than those of a small animal practitioner.

Everything about what you are posting is screaming that you aren't going to much enjoy going back into veterinary medicine given the hours and the fact that you never wanted to do small animal medicine anyway. I think you'd be setting yourself up for burn out and disappointment based on what you have said. Is it worth spending all that time and money on the CPE to very likely end up working in small animal medicine and working long hours? Or working even longer hours (overnight ER care for horses, being on call for those emergencies after having worked all day) if you can land an equine job? I think these are the things you need to seriously reflect upon. If you decide to proceed, you are going to have to spend a number of years regaining skills and will likely need to see if you can get into a S/N place that teaches veterinary students to get your surgery skills back up to speed. This isn't something you are going to be able to jump back into for a few months while also working full time, take the exam and be good, you're going to need a lot of time redeveloping skills and will need even more time if you are planning to work full time in another field while gaining experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for all your feedback... I've had a lot of time to think since I'm self quarantining right now and the things you all say make sense. With such a high burnout rate, and the amount of time that I've been out, plus the fact that I'll be working long hours regardless of what I decide to do, I think it's better for me not to pursue the CPE. It'll just bring back old feelings of doubt and being unfulfilled if I keep going forward with this. I think I need to be at peace with the fact that veterinary medicine just wasn't for me, no matter how many years I put into school, and probably dedicate myself to finding another craft or field I genuinely enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users