Outreach to RPDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog1123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in apply for residencies in this upcoming cycle and have spoke to a few programs in person and noticed a trend with many of them. In asking what they are looking for in candidates, many of the RPDs stated "keep in contact."

My confusion lies in this. I don't want to pester RPDs with aimless emails and many questions I may have are already on their brochures or website. What can I outreach about to RPDs in an email or two to have my name on their radar that wouldn't be repetitive or pointless? If anyone who has gone thru the process has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your mindset on this is correct, how to stay on their radar without being annoying can be tricky. If you're presenting anything at Midyear, inviting them to that presentation is an excellent move.

In general it is not a good idea to ask "What are you looking for in a candidate", "How do you score applicants" etc. if you were actually asking that. Most find that question repetitive and hard to answer.

Try asking particulars about whatever it is you find during your research of the program. Ask more about a rotation, their opinions, plans for the future, etc. Let your actual interests be known to see whether it fits them. Like "I am interested in Oncology/Psychiatry/etc and see you have XYZ rotation, can you tell me more about the service..."

Also do not expect a quick reply because RPDs can get tons of emails especially around application time and conferences. Consider asking the current residents questions. Familiarity with your name alone can help, but don't forget to put time into your actual application materials. Some programs get so many applicants they do not even have time to check whether they previously had contact with you.

Reactions: 1 users