1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Outside Biz Interests during Residency

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Whiskeyjack, May 17, 2008.

1. Whiskeyjack

5+ Year Member

I haven't received a copy of the residency contract yet but I was wondering if there are clauses in there about participating in other biz interests. I ask because I am a limited partner in a distribution company which entails almost zero work on my part except annual meetings (mostly i-chat) and occasional emails. The prog/hospital won't have a problem with this will they?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Path or bust

Path or bust I like meat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends on the contract of course. But the majority of contracts usually don't mention anything such as this. What I have seen are limitations on research revenues/rights and patents that are performed during residency.

If they were to include such a clause I would seriously contest this and ask the ACGME for input on enforceability.

4. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I never recieved any sort of well written employment contract for residency and def. not for fellowship so unless that is changed its fair game.

Although I do think they make you sign conflict of interest statements so be aware of that.