Outside Biz Interests during Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whiskeyjack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't received a copy of the residency contract yet but I was wondering if there are clauses in there about participating in other biz interests. I ask because I am a limited partner in a distribution company which entails almost zero work on my part except annual meetings (mostly i-chat) and occasional emails. The prog/hospital won't have a problem with this will they?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't received a copy of the residency contract yet but I was wondering if there are clauses in there about participating in other biz interests. I ask because I am a limited partner in a distribution company which entails almost zero work on my part except annual meetings (mostly i-chat) and occasional emails. The prog/hospital won't have a problem with this will they?

Depends on the contract of course. But the majority of contracts usually don't mention anything such as this. What I have seen are limitations on research revenues/rights and patents that are performed during residency.

If they were to include such a clause I would seriously contest this and ask the ACGME for input on enforceability.

I never recieved any sort of well written employment contract for residency and def. not for fellowship so unless that is changed its fair game.

Although I do think they make you sign conflict of interest statements so be aware of that.