Reapplying during PGY1 of path

Started by lbj4life
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lbj4life

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I will be starting as a PGY1 in path this July. Path was the back up specialty I applied to. Ive grown increasing concerned about job prospects and the number of fellowships required these days just to find a job. I also feel like I'll miss clinical care. I've decided I want to reapply to family medicine during my PGY1 year. Im a DO with step 1 220s step 2 240s Level 1 620s level 2 500s. Im top quarter of my class. Assuming my PD will write me a decent letter, how risky do you think it is to reapply for FM? I understand I may lose my current spot in my residency when I tell my PD my plans about reapplying.
 
Path and FM could not be more different. One is focused on making definitive diagnoses, working the clinical zebras, and applying cold logic, the other is a social job, taking care of patients' physical and emotional well-being, for mostly the same common conditions. Night and Day, IMO. Do what you want. Getting a FM spot is somehow easier than a Path one, so I'm not sure you need to worry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like your heading back to FM. This is the next 30 years of your life - you should have a career in what you actually like.

your year in path will not be a total waste. Having some knowledge of what happens to a tissue or blood specimen when you send it off to the lab will be helpful.

I don’t believe FM is all that competitive so you should be all set
 
Focus your PGY1 attention on the things that will make you a better family medicine provider. In CP, pay attention to proper lab collection, interferences, indications for transfusion, and differences in adults/peds in testing. In surgpath, pay attention to cancer staging, read the final reports and learn to understand them. Be honest with your attendings about where you are headed, most of them will help you. If your schedule allows, spend some time trying to understand pap smears, and some gyn for family medicine. We've had a few residents decide on a different path and have always been happy for them and supportive in my experience. There's a lot you will learn in the 1 path year that will make you a better primary care physician.