Outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if a student is interested in getting a spot outside the match, how would we go about doing this? I've called programs asking about outside the match positions and the administrative assistants tell me "no" for the most part. Is it unlikely that a program that has interviewed you in the past would give you an outside the match spot for the upcoming match cycle?

Anyone have any information/knowledge about this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you refer to "outside the match" positions, there are two different possibilities:

1. An offcycle spot -- i.e. one starting in January, or tomorrow. These usually open up because someone drops out, or rarely because a program expands.

2. A spot for the next academic year that would normally be filled via the match, that is instead filled outside the match.

For #1, its mostly luck. You simply have to hear about a spot, and then get lucky to get it. You can certainly "cold call" programs and hope for the best. In addition, when you apply for positions in next year's match, you can make it clear (in your PS, for example) that you would be happy to start immediately if possible. Then, I can interview you and if I like you, offer you an off cycle spot starting in Dec/Jan.

For #2, it really depends on the field and program. The more competitive either one is, the less likely they're going to give a spot to you.