OUWB vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you go to? Assume tuition and living costs are roughly the same for both schools.

Btw, these are subjective to me. What I say are "con's" somebody else may not. So bear with me here..

VCU pro's:
-No mandatory attendence
-P/F
-Research now mandatory, and a big part of curriculum
-2.3-5 months for Step 1
-better/longer established (?)
-Richmond is a nice area lol

VCU con's:
-Big class size, 216 i think
-New curriculum, where preclinicals end early and take step 1 in march (iffy about this)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUWB pro's:
-Beaumont is a big hospital (#21 in entire US): Clinical years may have much more strength
-much smaller class size 125 vs 216 (I think)
-New school = new tech and new buildings

OUWB con's
-New school, not as established
-70% mandatory attendence
-Less research funding, but still mandatory in curriculum
-Auburn hills, MI isn't that exciting of a place to be (not that important though)
-Not P/F

If there are any current students that would like to fill me in with the details to both schools, that would be nice. Any other opinions are also welcome. If I am mistaken on any of my Pro's/Con's please correct me. Thank you for your time!

-Poosh

Members don't see this ad.

Just a few notes/corrections to your list of pros and cons:
- VCU recently ended its collaboration with Inova Fairfax Hospital so the class is down to ~180 starting this year.
- OUWB is still P/F. (The honours option is only for those that attend 70% of lectures and score 90%).
- On the same note, 70% mandatory attendance is only if you want to get honours.

And judging by your comments, it looks like you are leaning towards VCU! Good luck :)

Haha I am. Congratulations btw, saw you on the thread. I'm torn mainly between VCU's rep as established, especially in virginia, and OUWB's strength in clinicals, because the Beaumont hospital system is pretty darn big.

Just a few notes/corrections to your list of pros and cons:
- VCU recently ended its collaboration with Inova Fairfax Hospital so the class is down to ~180 starting this year.
- OUWB is still P/F. (The honours option is only for those that attend 70% of lectures and score 90%).
- On the same note, 70% mandatory attendance is only if you want to get honours.

And judging by your comments, it looks like you are leaning towards VCU! Good luck :)

Where did you hear that VCU is decreasing its class size?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat choosing between these two! I'm IS for VA though so I'm thinking that might be my best bet for tuition alone?