OVC Venting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevet04

OVC c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I feel a bit at a loss with applying to vet schools and wanted to see if anyone could give some advice. I'm a University of Guelph (Canadian) undergrad student, in my last semester of a Bachelor of Science in Animal Biology. Planning on applying to Ontario Veterinary College for potential 2015 entrance. Our prerequisite course requirements here are: 1 biochemistry, 1 statistics, 1 cell biology, 1 genetics, 2 biology courses, 2 arts/humanities/social science electives. Also, we require the MCAT instead of the GRE.
What I'm frustrated with is how different the OVC's requirements are compared to EVERY OTHER vet school. I've been looking at other international schools and many of them look at Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Organic Chem, Biochem and English (and the GRE). I've worked hard on my prereq courses to make sure I had the best application for OVC, and have done the MCAT so that I have a decent score. However, my first year Chem, Physics, and Biology marks are poor (in the 60's) compared to my upper year biology courses. I also haven't needed to take an Organic Chem or English course for my program, and would have to take those. I would not be allowed to retake any of the Chem/Physics courses I have already taken... I could take a more advanced courses of Physics/Chem, but I also don't want to be in undergrad forever! I would have to take 5 or 6 more courses potentially and do the GRE to be considered at most international schools.
I just wish OVC had the same requirements as every other school. Its basically making it impossible for me to apply elsewhere.

Sorry for the venting. I feel like I've just witnessed my dream fade away because if I don't get into OVC, getting into vet school is going to be near impossible for me. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your first time applying to OVC? Honestly I would focus on making your application to OVC as strong as possible because it will save you a lot of money if you are accepted here. I was faced with the same dilemma when I applied to OVC and in the end I decided that I would apply up to 4 times (the maximum that OVC allows) before going back to school and taking physics, orgo, etc to apply to other schools if I needed to.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this your first time applying to OVC? Honestly I would focus on making your application to OVC as strong as possible because it will save you a lot of money if you are accepted here. I was faced with the same dilemma when I applied to OVC and in the end I decided that I would apply up to 4 times (the maximum that OVC allows) before going back to school and taking physics, orgo, etc to apply to other schools if I needed to.
Hey SocialStigma - this is my second time applying. I applied last year with both my pre-req marks and last two semesters in the mid to high 70's. Didn't get an interview obviously. I wish someone told me this time last year to not apply with those marks, so that I didn't waste an application attempt. My plan is to apply this year (should have a low to mid 80 averages) and if i don't get in, do a masters and then apply again. I think I'll go though my 4 OVC attempts first before applying internationally. Its just super frustrating that almost everything about the OVC application is completely opposite of every other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SocialStigma - this is my second time applying. I applied last year with both my pre-req marks and last two semesters in the mid to high 70's. Didn't get an interview obviously. I wish someone told me this time last year to not apply with those marks, so that I didn't waste an application attempt. My plan is to apply this year (should have a low to mid 80 averages) and if i don't get in, do a masters and then apply again. I think I'll go though my 4 OVC attempts first before applying internationally. Its just super frustrating that almost everything about the OVC application is completely opposite of every other school.

I think with a low-mid 80s average you have a good chance of being ranked in the top 200. I agree that it is very frustrating because it makes it near impossible to have backup schools. Best of luck with your application!

Hi everyone.

I feel a bit at a loss with applying to vet schools and wanted to see if anyone could give some advice. I'm a University of Guelph (Canadian) undergrad student, in my last semester of a Bachelor of Science in Animal Biology. Planning on applying to Ontario Veterinary College for potential 2015 entrance. Our prerequisite course requirements here are: 1 biochemistry, 1 statistics, 1 cell biology, 1 genetics, 2 biology courses, 2 arts/humanities/social science electives. Also, we require the MCAT instead of the GRE.
What I'm frustrated with is how different the OVC's requirements are compared to EVERY OTHER vet school. I've been looking at other international schools and many of them look at Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Organic Chem, Biochem and English (and the GRE). I've worked hard on my prereq courses to make sure I had the best application for OVC, and have done the MCAT so that I have a decent score. However, my first year Chem, Physics, and Biology marks are poor (in the 60's) compared to my upper year biology courses. I also haven't needed to take an Organic Chem or English course for my program, and would have to take those. I would not be allowed to retake any of the Chem/Physics courses I have already taken... I could take a more advanced courses of Physics/Chem, but I also don't want to be in undergrad forever! I would have to take 5 or 6 more courses potentially and do the GRE to be considered at most international schools.
I just wish OVC had the same requirements as every other school. Its basically making it impossible for me to apply elsewhere.

Sorry for the venting. I feel like I've just witnessed my dream fade away because if I don't get into OVC, getting into vet school is going to be near impossible for me. Any advice?

Hey! I definitely understand how you feel. I am an Ontario student as well and it is stressful because we only have one school to apply to. On top of that we only have 4 applications in total.

The only international school that doesn't have all these prerequisites is the University of Melbourne. They just require that you have a biochemistry and cell bio half credit requirement and they calculate your final year and the year before the final year science GPA. They dont require the MCAT or GRE as well and they consider a B average competitive I believe. However the tuition is so high it's not an option for me.

You're looking at this too much like it's a one-shot, get-in-or-don't deal.

Sure, the timeline might make it impossible to get in elsewhere this go-around, but so what? Take the time to get the other pre-reqs if you decide a different school makes more sense.

And maybe you get into OVC this go-around and it's all a non-issue anyway! :)