Over 57 and residency - is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would strongly advise against it. We had an older age resident who was a medical related field and got into medical school after the age of 40 . He had diabetes and HTN. Went into a residency and couldn't cut it after 2 years and left/ was canned. Came into our program and did first year fine. In 2nd year it was obvious he was very slow and reflexes were not what they should be in especially in an ICU setting. Went on probation worked his butt off and still couldn't cut it. Maybe being 50 had something to do with it. Did not have his 2nd year contract renewed. I don't think he is practicing medicine now.$ 200,000 of debt. On top of all that he also got divorced. Should have stayed in paramedical field.
Was this EM?

It sounds like he had more issues than just age, although I'm sure age was part of it too. He had diabetes and HTN, he didn't have the best social support as I would bet his wife probably didn't want him to go to med school in the first place, putting themselves into so much debt when they be on track to retirement, and so on.

I've seen older people in residencies. The ones who seem to be doing well are the ones who are still relatively healthy, who have supportive family and friends, who have manageable debt. Usually they're also in a more realistic specialty for their age (e.g., psych, FM, IM), although you do hear about some older people still becoming surgeons or working in other time-intensive or heavily procedural fields (e.g., critical care). Not sure how they manage, but I would think they have these other aspects of their lives fairly well sorted out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I'm concerned about the step for achieving a neurology or psych residency match at age 55/56 assuming acceptance to, matriculation in and stellar performance in Med school (MS). My focus as an older, late-in-life career changing dude (I.e young at heart, financially stable and single no kids) have recently been accepted to a two year post bacc as an older professional - 50 (excellent grades, and 21 years of varied pharma experience). My plan is to complete post bacc, take MCAT and apply to MS's in 2018 to start in 2019. If all goes well, I'd start residency at 55 or 56.

Sincerely, I'm intrigued by the physiological, emotional and behavioral effects due to degenerative neurological disease and effects (including economic) of PTSD resulting from unforeseen situations that instantaneously change a productive, previously hard-working adult (I.e. Our Young veterans). I refer not to psychology but to models that combine neurological systems-based assessments combined with psych therapy (and psychological counseling, if warranted).

So - I know precisely how I want to contribute to medicine and healthcare knowledge-base.

Here's the issue: my buddy is an Ob-Gyn (Columbia/Nyc grad) and his view of my quest, my fate, my journey is one he sees as dark, gloomy and dreadful. His concern, as he puts it is "practical" and he is only saying what others won't: that is, "no one will want you, not in residency and no one will hire you. You'll never work except in the Dakotas or rural places." He's s great guy and I think he means well !

My Q: are these maudlin pain-points "the reality"? I have a light hearted personality and humor and I take direction well and I love learning from experts (on any topic) regardless of their age. I mix well with a variety of people.
But ---- my age will not decrease... will I be shunned from all residency considerations? And don't people in rural areas also require treatment, care and healing?

PA school is a wonderful option but I have a guiding leader-type personality (pardon this personal plug-diversion) - my point is to eventually guide and help colleagues and upcoming physicians in treating and improving the mental and neurological "quality of life" of patients.

My buddy says my "ship has sailed". He purports that I will excel in med school, but so what - no residency program wants an old dude -no matter how cool or dedicated... no one!

I appreciate his candor - but is this true.
Am I doomed to wear a Scarlet Letter (O = too OLD , avoid at all costs) and to be jobless as a med school graduate (assuming I matriculate )?

I am aware that according to economic analysis younger US residents are most likely to treat many more patients than me over their "journey", even if they retire early AND I work from 60 (post residency) until I fall over in my white coat carrying my text books (iPad/ tablet) at 90 +() .

I'm confident I would contribute solutions to patients, regardless of my final healthcare destiny - it's a strong feeling I can't place into words well. I'm this "in love" with the human body, mind (and related spirit) regardless of it's stage of frailty or vigor!! I'm sincere.

Please - share your thoughts.

I want to start my new journey and I realize that I will generate controversy in some persons in the future as an older physician. But, I would not want to interfere in the progress of medicine if ageism is simply just too great, as my doctor buddy insists (and he insists - he comes across as upset that I am not simply adopting his words of advise).

Thank you all ! To me, you (Our Doctors and Healthcare Professionals) along with our veterans) are The Greatest American Heroes . If I could be so lucky to join the ranks as a cool old doc!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think you should do it. If it's what you love, you won't find it too taxing. You will have the advantage of being confident in who you are and your goals are realistic. If you truly want this, age is no barrier. If you like it, you may end up practicing for 10-15 years. You can help a lot of people in that time.

There will weeks or months that are unbearably hard, but I'm sure you've had those times already.

It wasn't that hard when I found the love for learning medicine and practicing...it's only hard when I didn't love it.

It's called medical school, not "Psychiatry school"... I would recommend against medical school for someone who could only be happy in 1 specialty and doesn't have a strong interest in being a doctor 1st

Many people come into medical school with their heart set on a specialty. Some have physical limitations that limit their specialty choice. I went to college knowing which career I would end up in....

His joy or passion may change along the way.

Psych / neuro has always been the plan for my change. Finances I'm ok . I've also traveled well and lived in both Brazil and Paris - so traveling and relaxing will continue to find their places in my life, regardless of career.

However the points made about younger physicians (aside from fitness, I'm very fit and very young at heart and social) and longevity, I take seriously - thank you.
I have made connections with Admissions Directors at several med schools and they indicate that age is Not a factor for acceptance. However, my concern is about meaningful contribution to medicine, which means to me acceptance to residency compatible and accepting with my skills and desires. Location doesn't bother me, as I stated I'm fortunate to have already lived in wonderful places and traveled well.

Commitment desire and longevity seem to be characteristics I need to sell (psych is definitely high on my list) - but I also see myself accepting positions (if possible) in global health as well.

I'm a realist, but I think my case is unique - nevertheless, I appreciate any help and comments to lead me forward logically!

If I have to hang it up, that's that! At least I tried and can go into the ground knowing I tried.

So - all comments are helpful, even the nasty blunt and direct ones !

Although I know I would make a compassionate surgeon, and I'm sure there are many, it is not logical for me to even consider any medical health profession related to surgery! I have totally come to grips with this! So....

Thanks to all so far!

Ballen,

I know this post is from 2017... it is 2022 today. I have only 1 question. Did you follow your dream? If yes - I am super happy. With medicine, once you have that desire you have TWO choices. Carry it to the grave with regrets or go for it! Regardless of age!!! That is my 2c

Here is a 62 year old - I am super proud of. He followed his dreams AND MATCHED!!!!

Ballen,

I know this post is from 2017... it is 2022 today. I have only 1 question. Did you follow your dream? If yes - I am super happy. With medicine, once you have that desire you have TWO choices. Carry it to the grave with regrets or go for it! Regardless of age!!! That is my 2c

Here is a 62 year old - I am super proud of. He followed his dreams AND MATCHED!!!!

OP was last seen in May 2017

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.