1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Overall GPA or improving trends...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by docmira, Jun 2, 2002.

1. docmira

docmira Princess of Power
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Hey,
    I've heard mixed reactions concerning undergrad GPA. I really screwed up first year and a half. My GPA was maybe a 2.0, however, last semester I really raised my marks and I plan to keep it up for my last two years of undergrad. The thing is, no matter how well i do for my next 4 semesters of school, it won't raise my overall GPA considerably.
    I've heard that med schools look for improving trends and everything else. But, how much consideration is really given to the student with the improving marks vs the student with consistently high marks??

Your thoughts, experiences, opinions and advice is much needed..thanks..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MyEyesMesmerize

MyEyesMesmerize Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I understand from people in similar situations and from other posts on this board, a low GPA at the beginning of your undergraduate record can be compensated if you show a trend of good grades in your upper level courses (like above a 3.5 each semester) Also, if your low GPA is due to low grades in the pre-reqs, I would suggest taking them over. But remember, GPA is only one part of the big picture so just keep improving the grades, score well on the MCAT, make sure your extra curric's are full of meaningful experiences, whether that is research or patient contact, and get to know your prof's so that you can get good letters of rec. Hope this helps and good luck.

4. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

I believe that if you take the same number of credit hours as you did during the three semesters you got a 2.0 for the next 3 semesters and get a 4.0 each semester... you would still only have a 3.0 by the time you apply to medical school.

So basically you really need to start looking at postbac programs. Try for a masters in public health of something like that...

Unless your freshman year you got some Fs that brought our gpa down. In which case, check with your school to see if they have a "freshman forgiveness" program that lets you retake courses you failed... and then erased any record of the F. My school has this.

Take care! good luck! :)

5. The Philosopher

The Philosopher Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with Prime, BUT throw the MPH programs out the window. If anything, you need to prove yourself in the sciences.

In Aug of your Junior year, after having a 2.0 for 1.5 years and then a 3.5+ for 1.5 years, then I say go ahead and apply.

If you get rejected, you know the prob. Apply to some postbac science programs too and ace em, and you'll be fine.