overall trend in dental apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvdrv31

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the overall trend in dental school applications recently? i know that med school apps is down, but law and business school apps are increasing.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental School application numbers like med

schools apps have also dropped.

Have a science gpa above 3.0 and academic

DAT of 18 or higher and you will get in a

decent school.
:D

Denn22--

Where did you get this information? Please let me know, because from my view dental school apps are going up, but that is just my feeling. Please share where you found this.
Thanks.

It is true that dental school applications decreased signifigantly during the last decade.

That is not to say that certain regions or schools are not experiencing a higher appliation rate.

For instance, my undergrad had less than 20 people apply to dental school in a specific year during the early 90s. That number has risen to the point where 140-160 people applied each of the last 3 years. Applications this year are expected to reach 170 students.

As students perceive greater benefits in choosing dentistry over other health professions, applicant numbers will continue to rise. The general good news is that more dentists are retiring each year than dentists are graduating from school. This gives way to greater demand.

I suppose the long and short summary would be that competition to get into dental school will become more competitive, while those in school and graduating from school can expect to have a higher quality of lifestyle once practicing.

BTW, I would certainly say that more is required than a 3.0 SGPA, and an 18 DAT. At least, if it *was* that easy to get in last year, or the year before, or even this year, the benefits of the profession will drive the numbers up soon enough. I don't believe it to be outlandish to theorize that in 5 years, a 3.35 SGPA and a 3.5 GPA, along with a 19-20 DAT, might be below par for admission. Just a hunch.